Sponsored by:

New to me 2005 Cayenne

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2018, 07:09 PM
Bizzy2233
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy New to me 2005 Cayenne

Hello everyone, A little over a week ago I traded my Volvo S80 for a Porsche Cayenne that is having some issues. I am hoping to get some help from this forum for the rebuild. So far I have pulled the front fenders and cleaned the drains. Purchased a new Battery so that I could reset all of the codes. I am now down to one code left and the Immobilizer active light still on. I am getting code 1176. The car has been sitting for 8 months due to the Immobilizer active. Is there anyway to bypass the entire system as I would rather add an aftermarket alarm with backup camera? I have also ordered two new keys and they should be here on monday. The other issues are as follows,

A.)the backs of both front seats have fallen off. It looks like the glue has failed on the plastic brackets.
B.)the front seats have broken leather on the base of the seats. Is it possible this is from the heated seats and dried out leather?
C.)immobilizer active (i would like to remove all together if possible)
D.)the car is very dirty and has been smoked in and needs a massive detail.
E.)most of the grey plastic parts are losing paint and turning black.

Old 10-05-2018, 08:03 PM
oldskewel
Burning Brakes

Received 130 Likes on 106 Posts

Lucky you to have the V6. No cylinder scoring worries for you.

I can't help, other than to say to forget about everything other than getting past the immobilizer system. I don't have direct experience with that on these cars, but they are usually designed to foil people who steal cars for a living. Professionals who would steal a car like this when it was worth 40x what it is worth now - and the immobilizer security has not lessened with the deflating market value.

Don't underestimate the work required to bypass or fix that. And if you never solve that problem, everything else will have been a waste of time. So move that up to #1 on your list, and put the rest of the list on standby.

Welcome and Good luck.
Old 10-05-2018, 09:17 PM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 792 Likes on 444 Posts

That seat is really bad. I have heated seats and they're nothing like that. Luckily, Cayenne seats are cheap on eBay.

As far as the immobilizer: Boxsters commonly have immobilizer issues due to water damage. Look on the 986 Boxster forum here or on 986forum.com and you might find some hints. The immobilizer is keyed to the specific car, so I don't think you'll be able to bypass it. I expect your two options are to have it rebuilt or to get one from a wreck.
Old 10-06-2018, 01:44 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

does it lock / unlock ?
what dash message if any are you getting
does the key work the locks in the front doors ?
what happens when you turn the key
Old 10-06-2018, 02:08 PM
Bizzy2233
AutoX

Default Reply

Yes the car unlocks and locks via remote. When you place the key in the ignition it then says Immobilizer Active with a picture of the car and then the dash lights will turn back off. The rest of the lights in the car will stay on like the door lights and radio. The car does not even attempt to start.
Old 10-06-2018, 02:10 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Sound like the key is the right one, but it may need to be re "paired" with the ignition. A dealer visit or some shop with a PIWIS may be needed, def not something you can check any other way that I know of
Old 10-06-2018, 02:18 PM
Bizzy2233
AutoX

Default Mike reply

Mike, is there anyway to just short the system or remove it all together. I mean my plans are to rhino line this vehicle and use it as my surf van. So its going to get beat up and extra salty anyway. I would rather the piece of mind that this will never happen again. I have heard its a much more reliable motor but still have not even heard it try to crank in 2 weeks of ownership.

Thanks Biz

Trending Topics

Old 10-06-2018, 02:22 PM
Jonathan H
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Run
one of these one of these
in the car with the doors closed for 2 hours four or five times over a week or so and the smoke smell should clear up. Don't breathe what it puts out. The Ozone clears up on its own within an hour or so after it automatically shuts off.

Use epoxy for the seats backs and
one of these one of these
while it sets/cures.
Old 10-06-2018, 02:29 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Originally Posted by Bizzy2233
Mike, is there anyway to just short the system or remove it all together. I mean my plans are to rhino line this vehicle and use it as my surf van. So its going to get beat up and extra salty anyway. I would rather the piece of mind that this will never happen again. I have heard its a much more reliable motor but still have not even heard it try to crank in 2 weeks of ownership.

Thanks Biz
As has been said these security systems are designed for cars that cost about $120K 2005 $ top end, they are all tied into the computers, I don't know how you could hot wire a bypass, maybe someone else does but starting without the key is out of the question in my experience , sorry
Old 10-06-2018, 03:24 PM
Bizzy2233
AutoX

Default Immobilizer active

Sorry for the confusion, I am not looking to start the car without a key as i have the correct key for the correct car vin matching. The tumblers in the ignition will match and turn with the key. It is a simple lack of a signal to one of the 3 modules needed to start the car. All modules are turning on and not sending any fault codes in the car its self so I was just wondering if there was a way to send a re created signal from something other than the key since the key and all other parts are original. I was thinking because the technology is so old there would be some other form of obd2 plug or hard wired item to simply send the Immobilizer signal. Everything else seems to be in working order minus that one signal that should have no machnical effect on the motor or any other item to drive.
Old 10-06-2018, 03:46 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Ok that assumption of age is wrong , was wrong as far back as 2003 on the alpha models

the key has a chipset which is mapped to the vehicle computer security system specifically ,which makes replacing keys a PIA, there are no relays to defeat and at some point I’m sure you will want to start it

it’s the right key because it operates the locks but the kessy unit may not be matching the computer with the chip in the key hence its disabled

becauaw the computer are on a mixture of fiber optic MOST networks and CAN busses the odb connector is of little use apart from observing error codes and the like with very little in the way of resetting service lights although some do work
Old 10-06-2018, 04:28 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Lots of the modules/units in even the earliest Cayenne are programmed to the VIN# of the vehicle. That was Porsche's way of making the modules worthless on the used-parts marketplace - lessening the temptation for thieves to steal and part out the Cayenne. Most of them have to be programmed by a dealer with a PIWIS to tell them what VIN# they are going to accept and work. And to add to the worthlessness of the modules used - most of them can only be programmed once. That makes old Cayennes with these sort of problems really questionable to buy, and probably why this one was sitting all that time before you bought it.

I think at the least - you'll have to visit a dealer and talk with someone knowledgeable in the service department. That probably isn't the Service Adviser - it's probably someone like the actual Service Manager. He should have an idea if new keys can be mated to your existing immobilizer. And as I noted earlier - a lot of the "new" keys found on eBay do NOT come with the immobilizer chip in them. That's something that is proprietary to Porsche - and while I suspect Russian hackers have probably figured out how to clone them - it wouldn't surprise me if the new keys you get are chipless - sold with the expectation that the chips out of the old keys would be used to make them useable.

And lets hope that someone who owned it before you didn't do something like swap in a used ECU or something in the hopes it would work magic and unlock the ignition and let the car start.

I've often said "A cheap used German luxury car can be the most expensive car you've ever owned.." and it's things like this that validate that statement.
Old 10-09-2018, 11:57 AM
Bizzy2233
AutoX

We just had a bunch of rain while i was out of town for a few days. I got back and realized that the lower plugs under the car were clogged A ton of water came from under the car. The drivers side floor is now starting to dry out. I am hoping this helps with my Immobilizer active. I am looking for solutions to issues the vehicle is having I am not looking for peoples opinions. At this point in time I am willing to learn and do all of the work myself to get this vehicle back in working order. I also have a total of $200.00 TOTAL into the intire vehicle. Mostly just time and research at this point plus simple cheap fixes. Thanks for those that are looking to help me get this thing back on the road.
Old 10-09-2018, 12:53 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

I'd suggest starting to read: https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-diy-224/ - and it's possible the immobilizer problem might be caused by some corroded wiring under the carpeting. If it filled up with water this time, you can be assured that it has in the past and the wiring harness splices are almost certainly toasted by now. Having $200 into the vehicle is a good thing - means you'll make a profit if you decide to part it out ($200 = battery and keys?)

As far as solutions and opinions - you'll get what you get. The opinions are usually based on experience - which can be translated into paths to follow or not follow to achieve your goal.
Old 10-10-2018, 04:14 PM
Wisconsin Joe
Nordschleife Master

Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

This issue has come up before. I can even duplicate it with my own car.

There is a transponder in the key fob. It's coded to the car. Without the correct code, the car will not start. At all.

There's not a separate "Immobilizer" module. This isn't a 928, where you can wire a jumper across a couple of pins on a plug and bypass it. It's part of one (or more?) of the computer modules. In theory, it should be possible to hack into the computer and defeat it, but in reality, if this had been done, we'd likely know about it. It's a bit more complicated than 'jailbreaking' an I-Phone.

What happens is that the circuit board fails and the transponder stops working. So there's no code being given to the car. A couple people claimed success by opening the key fob, finding and repairing a bad solder joint or broken board trace. But only a couple. Most have had to get a new key from Porsche and have the dealer recode the key (the new one and all the old ones) to the car. It takes the dealer to do it. Again, a couple people have claimed that they know someone who had it done by an outside source, but I tend to be skeptical of it. There are some indy shops that have gotten the factory computer system, but I have a strong feeling that even those systems have had the 'code the key to the car' part removed before being sold. The ability to basically steal any Porsche by recoding keys is something I don't think either Porsche or the insurance companies want in the hands of anyone except the dealer.

In my case, the previous owner had a key fob fail (he had a couple). He bought a new one from the dealer and took the car, the old working keys and the new one to have everything coded together. I have the old, broken fob (he gave me everything, it's pretty cool) and I can get the 'immobilizer' message if I try to use it.
I've been through the 'water under the carpets corroding the stupid crimped and taped wire connection' issue. Lots of fault codes came up on the dash. Immobilizer was not one of them.

You mentioned you had new keys on the way. From where? Actual Porsche?

The problem is that only a dealer can code the keys to the car. Many of them will only code keys if you buy from them. They may give some excuse about 'ensuring the authenticity', but most of it is profit.

You might try taking the key fob to a dealer and see if they can tell if the transponder is working. If, as I suspect, it isn't, then they can sell you a new one and code it to the car. You will have to flatbed or trailer the car in. They need it to code everything together. Plan on spending several hundred dollars. For one key (yes, seriously).

Sorry, but that's part of the reality of owning one of these.

Quick Reply: New to me 2005 Cayenne