Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replace starter with plastic pipes?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 12:38 PM
johnhct
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Replace starter with plastic pipes?

My mechanic is saying we should replace the started in my 2004 Turbo. He says the antifreeze will cause it to go later. Is that BS?
Old 09-19-2018, 02:34 PM
95_993
Race Car

Received 501 Likes on 344 Posts

That is good advice. I did my starter when the pipes were replaced at 65k mi. Pipes had not leaked yet. It's cheap to replace one you're in there.
Old 09-19-2018, 07:42 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by johnhct
My mechanic is saying we should replace the started in my 2004 Turbo. He says the antifreeze will cause it to go later. Is that BS?
No. If the pipes went bad and leaked - the starter is on borrowed time. The antifreeze Porsche uses dries into an abrasive crud that will eventually destroy the starter. Then you get to pay for intake removal again, and possibly pipe removal and reinstallation. Your mechanic is doing you a favor. Too bad it seems like you don't trust him. I would.
Old 09-20-2018, 12:59 AM
jeff spahn
Rennlist Member

Received 383 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger
No. If the pipes went bad and leaked - the starter is on borrowed time. The antifreeze Porsche uses dries into an abrasive crud that will eventually destroy the starter. Then you get to pay for intake removal again, and possibly pipe removal and reinstallation. Your mechanic is doing you a favor. Too bad it seems like you don't trust him. I would.
^^^^This^^^^^^
Old 09-20-2018, 09:59 AM
ProgRockJunkie
Rennlist Member

Received 371 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger
Originally Posted by jeff spahn
^^^^This^^^^^^
Aww come on, guys. It's important for any of us paying a mechanic to do things we can't to understand and ask questions. I've heard a lot of bull from a lot of mechanics over the years, some at the best shops. Upselling is a big problem. There's nothing wrong with wanting to be an informed consumer and forums like this, guys like you guys, this is one of the most valuable things you can do for the community. Hell, I just did the exact same thing, asked how many hours to expect to replace a starter and validating makes me a better customer for my mechanic. We non-mechanically inclined really appreciate the forum. Thanks.
Old 09-20-2018, 12:10 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by icspres
Aww come on, guys. It's important for any of us paying a mechanic to do things we can't to understand and ask questions. I've heard a lot of bull from a lot of mechanics over the years, some at the best shops. Upselling is a big problem. There's nothing wrong with wanting to be an informed consumer and forums like this, guys like you guys, this is one of the most valuable things you can do for the community. Hell, I just did the exact same thing, asked how many hours to expect to replace a starter and validating makes me a better customer for my mechanic. We non-mechanically inclined really appreciate the forum. Thanks.
Well said.

I have a lot of non-mechanically inclined friends and neighbors with expensive vehicles that get upsold all the time. One of the local BMW dealers is the worst of the bunch. About once a week someone asks me if an estimate for a repair or service is fair. Those of us who have mechanical skills and vehicle and marrque-specific knowledge should always be willing to offer informed opinions without bias. It really takes a knowledgeable, mechanically inclined person to determine if an Indy is being reasonable or not and unfortunately, on the Forum, we can only rely on the information that is provided.

In Seattle, where Porsche indy rates run from $140-180/hour, the wrong choice can get really expensive quickly. On the other hand, there are a handful of really talented, honest Porsche indies here in the area that make up for the others. One of them even changed out a set of wheel bearings on my 930 for me on a weekend when I was stuck without a press.

Cheers,
TomF

Last edited by TomF; 09-20-2018 at 12:39 PM.
Old 09-21-2018, 11:47 AM
slavie
Burning Brakes

Received 145 Likes on 121 Posts

Maybe? There are a lot of variables that you did not mention.

Did the coolant leak and got the starter wet? Then yes, a great idea to replace.
If there was no coolant leaking and you're just replacing the pipes per-amptively, then perhaps the starter has plenty of life left in it.
Have you had any issues with starting the car? Vehicle mileage?

You can always replace extra parts "while you're in there", but sometimes "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" is a great advice, too.
Old 09-21-2018, 02:22 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

If it is a 2004 with an original starter, I would just go ahead and replace it. I would not expect more than 14 years of service out of a starter on anything that is driven regularly.
Old 09-21-2018, 02:39 PM
CTTS520
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

^^
Old 09-21-2018, 06:24 PM
Wisconsin Joe
Nordschleife Master

Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by slavie
Maybe? There are a lot of variables that you did not mention.

Did the coolant leak and got the starter wet? Then yes, a great idea to replace.
If there was no coolant leaking and you're just replacing the pipes per-amptively, then perhaps the starter has plenty of life left in it.
Have you had any issues with starting the car? Vehicle mileage?

You can always replace extra parts "while you're in there", but sometimes "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" is a great advice, too.
Originally Posted by nodoors
If it is a 2004 with an original starter, I would just go ahead and replace it. I would not expect more than 14 years of service out of a starter on anything that is driven regularly.
I'm somewhat torn between these two.

Is the starter showing any signs of age?
There's a known issue where the starter will crank a bit slowly. Sometimes it will make a partial 'turn' (like maybe 1/4 of a revolution) and then stop. You have to turn the key off and back on to get it to start.
Does it do any of that?

OTOH, the starter is 14 (or more) years old. They don't last forever.

Replacing it now is the cost of the starter. It's maybe 10 minutes of work to replace it while the pipes are out and the intake off.
Labor to replace it later will be quite a lot.

Last but not least - Are the pipes being done proactively? Or did they blow? If they blew and coolant was down in the V, then, without a doubt, no questions asked, absolutely, positively replace it now.
Or you will be replacing it in less than six months (see labor comment a line or two above).
Old 09-21-2018, 09:29 PM
19psi
Burning Brakes

Received 146 Likes on 100 Posts

I didn't replace my starter when I replaced my pipes (preemptively, no leaks) and within a year I got the infamous Cayenne Kazoo noise at startup. Yeah, it doesn't affect starting or hurt anything...other than looking like a damn hillbilly in a parking lot every time you start your vehicle.
I pulled the intake again and installed a new OEM Bosch starter. Do it while you're in there as it'll only add a few minutes to the job. Brand new OEM Bosch is around $400, and the only difference between it and the factory is one box says Bosch and the other Porsche (at more than double the price). If you're on a budget or have a clunker, rebuilds are far less...then again at that point, I may be tempted to leave the original in place.
Old 09-23-2018, 11:26 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Wisconsin Joe
I'm somewhat torn between these two.

Is the starter showing any signs of age?
There's a known issue where the starter will crank a bit slowly. Sometimes it will make a partial 'turn' (like maybe 1/4 of a revolution) and then stop. You have to turn the key off and back on to get it to start.
Does it do any of that?

OTOH, the starter is 14 (or more) years old. They don't last forever.

Replacing it now is the cost of the starter. It's maybe 10 minutes of work to replace it while the pipes are out and the intake off.
Labor to replace it later will be quite a lot.

Last but not least - Are the pipes being done proactively? Or did they blow? If they blew and coolant was down in the V, then, without a doubt, no questions asked, absolutely, positively replace it now.
Or you will be replacing it in less than six months (see labor comment a line or two above).
It all depends on how much you value your own time. I would much rather be using my car to zip up to the mountains with toys in tow than pulling the intake one more time than necessary. There are some trips/occasions that no amount of money saved is worth a breakdown especially if I had all necessary warning of it coming. That starter is near the end of its life. Just replace it while it is staring a mechanic in the face and have the piece of mind there is one less thing to strand you soon.
Old 09-25-2018, 07:34 PM
Wisconsin Joe
Nordschleife Master

Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Absolutely. Mine was doing the 'slow crank' and the 'short crank & stop' thing.

When I was in doing the pipes, I replaced it. Primarily because I knew it was 'on the way out' and knew I would have to replace it sooner or later.

If it had been working properly, even after 11 years and 104k miles, I probably would have left it.

Quick Reply: Replace starter with plastic pipes?