Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 Turbo S - Engine heating up too quick?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2018, 11:06 AM
ct-s
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Turbo S - Engine heating up too quick?

Hey all, new here.

I have a 2006 (56) Cayenne Turbo S. On a cold startup, my engine heats up rapidly. Within 10 minutes with very little driving, the temp gauge gets up to 80 and with long drives. it goes to around 82/83.

Is this normal? I'm not sure as car was purchased recently and this is my first Porsche. I have warranty so if there's any problems, I can get it sorted out for free.

The coolant level is at max. I don't see any puddles underneath car either. Although I do see some oil residue on the left hand side front wheel arch, not sure if that is related.

I've got my car booked in for this Thursday to get it diagnosed.
Old 09-17-2018, 11:59 AM
stefan063
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ct-s
Hey all, new here.

I have a 2006 (56) Cayenne Turbo S. On a cold startup, my engine heats up rapidly. Within 10 minutes with very little driving, the temp gauge gets up to 80 and with long drives. it goes to around 82/83.

Is this normal? I'm not sure as car was purchased recently and this is my first Porsche. I have warranty so if there's any problems, I can get it sorted out for free.

The coolant level is at max. I don't see any puddles underneath car either. Although I do see some oil residue on the left hand side front wheel arch, not sure if that is related.

I've got my car booked in for this Thursday to get it diagnosed.
Yep,that's normal. Also I would recommend to remove front bumper and thoroughly clean intercoolers and radiators. Gasoline engines heats up much quicker than diesel ones and especially if bigger more quicker. I did that few days ago. I removed my bumper because of something else,but when I pressure washed (never at a close distance) my radiators what came out .... WOW.... All the gunk and dirty stuff...
Old 09-17-2018, 12:04 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Sounds normal to me. One point that you have to understand - the dash gauge doesn't reflect what the actual temperature is. Porsche designs that gauge so it pretty much sits in the center over a wide range of actual engine temperatures. They do this (as do all German manufacturers) so that people don't go running to the dealer the first time they see it vary. The actual engine temperature can be read with an OBD-II diagnostics tool, even the cheap $17 ones with free software. You should make sure that the engine coolant pipes under the intake manifold have been replaced (spend some time in the DIY section - then in the stickies at the top of this forum). The oil on the wheel arch - may or may not be an issue. That side of the turbo plumbing on your vehicle is known to collect oil from the PCV system, and if there is enough of it - it may start to dribble out. Again - covered in many threads here.

Quick Reply: 2006 Turbo S - Engine heating up too quick?