J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Received 183 Likes on 135 Posts

Real Alcantara?
Old 09-16-2018, 10:00 PM
Waterman19
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No, I used suede with 1/8” foam backing. I’m not completely happy with it so I’m doing it again. I’ve ordered the honey suede to match the car cause wifey doesn’t like the black.
Old 09-16-2018, 10:38 PM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

I re-did mine in Alcantara so I know its not easy. Kudo's
Old 09-17-2018, 06:33 AM
Waterman19
AutoX

Awesome. Where did you buy the alcantara? Did you use the beige color or the black? Also, which spray adhesive did you use? Is yours holding up good or is it trying to come off again?
Old 09-17-2018, 01:36 PM
NelaK
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

I'd suggest using ultra suede and not Alcantara. Alcantara is $130/yard and ultra suede is around $70.

Exact same material made by the exact same company. One is made in Italy and costs twice as much.

One thing to note though is there are lots of companies making knock off fabrics that they try to pass for one or the other. You don't want that stuff. Its not going to hold up in an automotive environment.

Ultrasuede GP or HP is what you want. HP is heavier material for things like seats. GP should be fine for headliner. It should be available at most reputable stores.

Alcantara is really hard to get anyways. It's pretty much only large OEMs that can order it. I think there is only one authorized distributor in the US that sells it by the Yard.
Old 09-17-2018, 02:39 PM
Waterman19
AutoX

Awesome thanks for the info!!! Do you know any companies that sell the ultrasuede? Also, which spray adhesive did you use?
Old 09-17-2018, 05:26 PM
Brainz
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Waterman19
I’m doing it again. I’ve ordered the honey suede to match the car cause wifey doesn’t like the black.
Please post pics when done. I've got some ghetto sag in the back headliner, but have resorted to upholstery pins for now as I wasn't sure if I could match the tan color of the original.
Old 09-17-2018, 05:37 PM
Waterman19
AutoX

I just ordered the honey suede from Magic Headliner in Texas. Looks identical in the pics and they say they use it to match in the Porsche’s. The 3M Super 77 spray adhesive sucks. They said use the 3M 90 but I bought the gold can they sell at the shop that they recommended. I’ll post a pic of the glue and headliner when I get done.
Old 09-17-2018, 06:03 PM
NelaK
Pro

Originally Posted by Waterman19
Awesome thanks for the info!!! Do you know any companies that sell the ultrasuede? Also, which spray adhesive did you use?
I've gotten it from a local automotive upholstery shop. Try calling your local shops and I'm sure they can either order you some or point you in the right direction.

As for spray adhesive, I can't recall exactly but it was from 3M. I think there's a specific adhesive for headliners.
Old 09-17-2018, 06:29 PM
Waterman19
AutoX

Thanks NelaK. I went ahead and ordered this because I think it’s the closest I’m going to get to the color I need.
Old 09-17-2018, 09:40 PM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

This is the ONLY glue I would use. http://www.dap.com/dap-products-ph/w...ontact-cement/

Alcantara can be had from Gulf fabrics for around 105$ a yard. There is two weights available. Ultrasuede and Alcantara are not even close to each other in quality. Period. There is a reason why ALL the manufacturers use Alcantara. I do not reccomend Alcantara if you are already having trouble with the present material. Alcantara only stretches in ONE DIRECTION. On the other axis it is as tight as leather. You will also have to use a seperate foam with the Alcantara and it needs to be very high quality closed cell and thin, like 1/16th.
Alcantara is very difficult to work with on concave curves and in general.

Key is preparation. The old glue and foam leave an oily kind of residue. Get all that off with solvent and rough up the backer board before you apply glue. I used 40 grit paper.

MIne's great but I will never do it again.
Old 09-17-2018, 11:13 PM
JAGMAN1
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

I did mine recently. I peeled off the Alcantara, then removed the foam from the old Alcantara and the headliner board. I reglued the orignal Alcantara to the headliner board. Came out great. Cost 3 cans of spray adhesive.
Old 09-18-2018, 03:55 AM
NelaK
Pro

Originally Posted by J'sWorld
Ultrasuede and Alcantara are not even close to each other in quality. Period. There is a reason why ALL the manufacturers use Alcantara. I do not reccomend Alcantara if you are already having trouble with the present material.
That's not true. Genuine Ultrasuede and genuine Alcantara are the exact same material produced by the same company (Toray Industries). In fact you can read their own press release: https://www.toray.com/news/fib/nr130314.html . Its purely a branding play.

In the market place you are often sold knock off Ultrasuede/Alcantara which is definitely not comparable. Its microsuede which isn't comparable except in looks. There's also differences in specification. Most Alcantara you run into will be the proper automotive grade, whereas Ultrasuede is sold in a wider range of grades which may or may not be good in an automotive environment. HP is the kind of you want.

In regards to Alcantara being hard to work with... Technically there is an older style of Alcantara which Toray no longer produces. Apparently it was much more stretchy. If you could somehow find some it might be not entirely annoying. In fact its probably what was used on these cars in the first place.
Old 09-18-2018, 12:43 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Interesting - this topic came up on another email list I'm on, and the following was revealed:

Originally Posted by Jalopnik
https://jalopnik.com/what-the-hell-i...way-1604799947

A common myth about Alcantara is that it's made from the skin of the wild Alcantar — a llama/ostrich hybrid from the borderlands between Peru and Greece whose massive thigh haunches are used to make those huge cones of gyro meat.

A little bit of research proves that this isn't true, since not only is the animal fictitious, but Peru and Greece don't seem to share a border. And science doesn't yet actually know where gyro meat comes from. The actual truth is far more shocking: Alcantara is basically Ultrasuede.

Yes, Ultrasuede. The name "Ultrasuede" has a sort of Disco-decadent 70s sort of feel, so it's not too surprising that luxury car makers aren't too eager to use that term in their advertising. In fact, aside from "Corinthian leather," I can't think of a seat-upholstery material that feels more '70s.
The article in the link is rather fun in a Jalopnik sort of way.

Another article from Jalopnik reveals the source of "genuine" Alcantara:

https://jalopnik.com/theres-an-alcan...tar-1825114281

The company that makes it is Italian - and is experiencing such a large demand for the stuff it can't keep up.. and being a modern as snot company - they have a website: https://www.alcantara.com/en/index.do

Automotive: https://www.alcantara.com/en/automotive/9/index.do

Who are they?: https://www.alcantara.com/en/company/1/index.do

Originally Posted by Alcantara website
Based in Italy, the company operates on a global scale through the main centres of Milan headquarters - including Top Management, Design & Style department, Sales & Marketing offices, Communications activities, Administrative & Legal office - and Nera Montoro site (90 Km North of Rome), where are located the production plant and the R&D Centre, for a total area of 450,000 sqm.

Renowned for its unique and proprietary technology, over the years the company has developed prestigious collaborations with global luxury brand partners who choose Alcantara material for their creations in the fields of fashion, interior, automotive, yachting, aviation and consumer electronics.

Alcantara S.p.A. is then the only world producer of the Alcantara material, guarantee of pure Italian quality and excellence.
Ultrasuade. At least it's not killing off the elusive Alcantar bird.

Quick Reply: Headliner Repair