Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PSM Hyper Sensitive

Old 09-15-2018, 10:18 AM
MisterMisfire
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PSM Hyper Sensitive

Got after-market 21" wheels. 285 40 R21 tyres on the front. 295 35 R21 on the back. No issues whatsoever with PSM.

Had the wheels aligned and within half a mile of leaving the place the PSM fired off and the car juddered. Took it back and they guy could see no reason why anything he has done would make this happen.

So basically, if I start the car and drive away the PSM kicks in when I go round a roundabout or swing round a corner. So I have a new routine. Start the car, switch off PSM, brake off, drive away, then about half a mile later switch PSM on again and all is dandy.

If I forget to switch PSM off then the flipping thing fires, I switch PSM off, drive for a bit, switch it back on again and it doesn't fire again.

I've got an iCarsoft reader and it doesn't have any stored faults for PSM.

Any ideas?

The only thing I've found is a suggestion that a tyres change or uneven wear left/right had mis-matched the diameters of the tyres and makes the car think it's wheel spinning.
Old 09-15-2018, 10:41 AM
stefan063
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MisterMisfire
Got after-market 21" wheels. 285 40 R21 tyres on the front. 295 35 R21 on the back. No issues whatsoever with PSM.

Had the wheels aligned and within half a mile of leaving the place the PSM fired off and the car juddered. Took it back and they guy could see no reason why anything he has done would make this happen.

So basically, if I start the car and drive away the PSM kicks in when I go round a roundabout or swing round a corner. So I have a new routine. Start the car, switch off PSM, brake off, drive away, then about half a mile later switch PSM on again and all is dandy.

If I forget to switch PSM off then the flipping thing fires, I switch PSM off, drive for a bit, switch it back on again and it doesn't fire again.

I've got an iCarsoft reader and it doesn't have any stored faults for PSM.

Any ideas?

The only thing I've found is a suggestion that a tyres change or uneven wear left/right had mis-matched the diameters of the tyres and makes the car think it's wheel spinning.
That is just NOT the good thing to do with your car! You should have all 4 tires of same size and width. Also you will destroy your transferbox.
Old 09-15-2018, 12:49 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 557 Likes on 424 Posts

Most decent alignment places will give you an initial settings printout along with the new settings printout. What exactly was changed with your alignment? If you truly had zero issues before, and now have issues, it was something affected by the alignment and studying the before and after settings should help you figure out what's wrong.
Old 09-15-2018, 03:04 PM
Wisconsin Joe
Nordschleife Master

Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

A quick check shows a 0.9" difference in tire height. That's not good to run.

I don't understand how it worked before, but you are basically 'confusing' the PSM by spinning the wheels at different speeds.

And, as noted, it's not good for the clutches in the transfer case.
Old 09-16-2018, 10:20 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,139 Likes on 3,912 Posts

Did they change the tire pressures when they rotated the tires. You should have about a 5 lb differential front to rear, like 38 F / 43 R. If they left the pressures where they were the pressures could also be effecting the rolling circumference of the wheels and confusing the PSM.

The Cayenne does not run a staggered setup. The proper tire sizes for a 21"x 10" wide, et 50 wheel is a 295/35-21 and those should be on all 4 corners.
Old 09-20-2018, 11:08 PM
hatchetf15
Rennlist Member

Received 954 Likes on 597 Posts

Pete,
Don’t you mean the tire sizes aren’t staggered, though the wheels are? My 955 TTS has 9” fr/10” rr shod with 275/40’s all corners, for example.
Old 09-21-2018, 02:09 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hatchetf15
Pete,
Don’t you mean the tire sizes aren’t staggered, though the wheels are? My 955 TTS has 9” fr/10” rr shod with 275/40’s all corners, for example.
I've heard there was one year or one trim where Porsche used a staggered wheel setup on the Cayenne, and maybe it's yours, but I believe for the rest of them, they all use a square setup - for both wheels and tire, at all 4 corners, like my 957 Turbo S was with the OEM setup and I continued this with the aftermarket setup. Not only does it make tire rotation much easier since you don't have to dismount and remount to move the tires around, but the same tire on a wider vs narrower wheel, creates a different profile and different rolling circumference (wider wheel flattens out the tread area and makes the rolling circumference smaller) and might be enough to throw of the PSM, especially if it didn't come that way.
Old 09-21-2018, 06:12 AM
Stringbag
Pro

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

It is possible that the alignment disturbed one of the PSM sensors. The yaw sensor and all 4abs sensors are inputs into it. I’d get underneath with a torch and see if there are any recent marks on the sensors/cables that might have been caused by a wrench. Undoing some of those bolts whilst aligning isn’t a gentle process...
Old 09-21-2018, 11:01 AM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

It is most likely the almost 1 inch difference in diameter between the front and rear tires. You may eventually burn up your transfer case running the car like this too.
Old 09-21-2018, 11:09 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nodoors
It is most likely the almost 1 inch difference in diameter between the front and rear tires. You may eventually burn up your transfer case running the car like this too.
It's his wheel widths that are 1" different, not the wheel diameters. The width difference will result in a total diameter difference as well, but it won't be anywhere near a full inch.
Old 09-21-2018, 11:24 AM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

I tried two different calculators and it is of course going to depend on the actual model of tire he is using, but both came out to nearly an inch difference in diameter:

This one was the lower of the two at .85 inches:
https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc...5r21-285-40r21

Your assumption might be correct if he has different rim widths, but I did not see that indicated in the post.
Old 09-21-2018, 11:28 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nodoors
I tried two different calculators and it is of course going to depend on the actual model of tire he is using, but both came out to nearly an inch difference in diameter:

This one was the lower of the two at .85 inches:
https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc...5r21-285-40r21

Your assumption might be correct if he has different rim widths, but I did not see that indicated in the post.
Sorry, you're totally correct with respect to the OPs post. I thought you were responding to hatchetf15s more recent comment about the same tire size on 2 different width wheels
"My 955 TTS has 9” fr/10” rr shod with 275/40’s all corners, for example."
Old 11-19-2018, 02:17 PM
MisterMisfire
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wisconsin Joe
A quick check shows a 0.9" difference in tire height. That's not good to run.

I don't understand how it worked before, but you are basically 'confusing' the PSM by spinning the wheels at different speeds.

And, as noted, it's not good for the clutches in the transfer case.
I replaced the rear tyres to match the front ones and the mysterious hypersensitive PSM has gone.

DOH!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: PSM Hyper Sensitive