Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Burnt Exhaust Valve - what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2018, 07:34 PM
Cayenne955TT
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Burnt Exhaust Valve - what to do?

Hello everyone,

This is my first post here on rennlist, but I have been lurking for a while. Need some help with my 2005 Cayenne turbo. Basically, I got the car for very little, and am fixing it up. The car has been diagnosed with a burnt exhaust valve. Everything else is ok otherwise. Cylinder 3/bank 1.

I'd love to just pull that head and get the head repaired...is that even possible with the engine in the car? Meaning, if I have to pull the engine, it might just be cheaper or easier to replace the entire motor.

let me know what you guys think!

Thanks,

Will
Old 09-14-2018, 10:35 PM
oldskewel
Burning Brakes

Received 130 Likes on 106 Posts

Here's some great reading for the weekend to inspire you:
https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...fr-7163-s.html

Burned valve pic in post #3.
Old 09-14-2018, 10:59 PM
Dilberto
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Turbo exhaust valves are sodium-filled. They rarely ever get "burned." Was there ever an accidental, Tiptronic downshift at high speed?
Old 09-14-2018, 11:34 PM
Cayenne955TT
Advanced

Originally Posted by Dilberto
Turbo exhaust valves are sodium-filled. They rarely ever get "burned." Was there ever an accidental, Tiptronic downshift at high speed?
I'm going to chalk it up to lack of maintenance with issues. When I got the car, every single coil pack was cracked and the spark plugs were awful. I'm thinking they just ran it like that for a while. The durametric indicates no over rev conditions (ignition rpm range 2) there were also vacuum leaks. Excessive lean/rich with poor ignition, etc.

Originally Posted by oldskewel
Here's some great reading for the weekend to inspire you:
https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...fr-7163-s.html

Burned valve pic in post #3.
Beautiful build and that's exactly what my valve looks like! No indication of whether it can come apart when still in the car, although it does hint at it...

All cylinders on my engine read 8 percent leak down except cylinder 3 the bad one. So if I can fix this by just removing the head in place I'll be ok...

-Will
Old 09-15-2018, 02:14 PM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Received 183 Likes on 135 Posts

The problem begins with the guides.
Old 09-15-2018, 02:27 PM
Cayenne955TT
Advanced

Originally Posted by J'sWorld
The problem begins with the guides.
Intetesting....is this a common thing? Everyone I've talked to thinks these problems are pretty rare with these cars. The one shop I talked to said they barely work on cayennes because they tend to hold up.

-Will
Old 09-15-2018, 03:37 PM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Not many get into Cayenne engines so how common it is we will probably never know. In my experience with those that have worked with the Cayenne engines, as well as two sets of personal turbo heads, the guides wear considerably.
Old 09-15-2018, 05:10 PM
Cayenne955TT
Advanced

Not many get into Cayenne engines so how common it is we will probably never know. In my experience with those that have worked with the Cayenne engines, as well as two sets of personal turbo heads, the guides wear considerably.
Thanks for the info....I guess after 13 years something is expected to wear. Otherwise the cars seem to hold up great.

Sounds like you have experience doing a head job - can the bank 1 head be done in car/do you need any special tools?

-Will
Old 09-15-2018, 08:11 PM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

You can get the head off with the engine still in the Cayenne. You need cam timing tools to put it back together.
Old 09-15-2018, 10:54 PM
Cayenne955TT
Advanced

You can get the head off with the engine still in the Cayenne. You need cam timing tools to put it back together.
Wow....this is a game changer. Meaning now either I could do the job myself (with the tools) or a shop could. I've had some quotes but they have been insane (36 hours labor?). Now that I know you can do it in chassis, that helps out a lot. Are the tools available?

-Will
Old 09-18-2018, 02:54 PM
jeff spahn
Rennlist Member

Received 382 Likes on 220 Posts

You could possibly make your own set of cam timing tools (like the 928 crowd has done). I would venture to guess that they have timing marks on the cam you line up with the chain like a 928 and be spot on. Take lots of photos.
Old 09-18-2018, 08:46 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

The cam timing tools are a bar like device that fits across the camshafts and has notches that drop down onto a non-square protrusion on the camshafts - locking them to each other. There is also a pin that is used to lock the crankshaft at TDC for one of the cylinders (forget which one.) The tools aren't horribly expensive - I seem to recall seeing a kit of them for around $100. The crankshaft is locked, the cams rotated until they are timed together with the tool, and then the bolts holding the sprockets in place are tightened. That's a greatly simplified explanation. I'd suggest that anyone considering doing this spend the huge sum of $15 for a year's subscription to AllDataDIY - for their vehicle - and get actual Porsche instructions and specifications.
Old 09-19-2018, 08:47 PM
Cayenne955TT
Advanced

Originally Posted by jeff spahn
You could possibly make your own set of cam timing tools (like the 928 crowd has done). I would venture to guess that they have timing marks on the cam you line up with the chain like a 928 and be spot on. Take lots of photos.
Luckily the tools seem to be readily available and only 100 dollars!
Old 09-19-2018, 08:48 PM
Cayenne955TT
Advanced

Originally Posted by jeff spahn
Originally Posted by deilenberger
The cam timing tools are a bar like device that fits across the camshafts and has notches that drop down onto a non-square protrusion on the camshafts - locking them to each other. There is also a pin that is used to lock the crankshaft at TDC for one of the cylinders (forget which one.) The tools aren't horribly expensive - I seem to recall seeing a kit of them for around $100. The crankshaft is locked, the cams rotated until they are timed together with the tool, and then the bolts holding the sprockets in place are tightened. That's a greatly simplified explanation. I'd suggest that anyone considering doing this spend the huge sum of $15 for a year's subscription to AllDataDIY - for their vehicle - and get actual Porsche instructions and specifications.
Thanks for the heads up. That is what I gathered from the porsche service manual....their illustrations aren't the best. You are correct the tools are readily available/cheap.

-Will

Quick Reply: Burnt Exhaust Valve - what to do?