Sponsored by:

Cayenne S options advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2004, 10:35 PM
Brent 89-GT
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cayenne S options advice

I am seriously considering ordering a Cayenne in the next few days. The dealer let me take one home today to see if it will work for me. We had sat down and made a list of the options I wanted. After reading the brochure, I have a few more questions. Hopefully some of you guys that have already bought one can help.

I definately want the following;
Air suspension
Heated front and rear seats, heated steering wheel
Roof rack
Xenons
Comfort seats with memory
CD changer
Tow package

Things I might want???
Moveable seatbelt anchor points.....I am 6'2" how do the non-adjustables fit tall drivers?
Servotronic steering.....How do you like it? anybody done a back to back comparison?
Comfort package...might be too high priced to be worth it

I also think that when the salesman wrote it up he made most of the options individually rather than in a couple of packages that would have covered it. I think if I went with the cold weather package and the convenience packages I would get everything I want. He came up with about $68,500 using his method.

I was offered a fair trade value and $4,000 off sticker. Is this about the going rate?

I was thinking Lapis blue over Havanna/sand with the light wood package.
Old 01-19-2004, 11:19 PM
airtire
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For surely get the air suspension as you note. Mine does not have it and rides rough. I have the Nav system, but it is a joke compared to a Lexus and not worth the extra $. For surely get the package that allows you the remotes for your garage doors, etc. I miss that on my car. I also got the "optional" spare tire, as there is none unless you pay.

My sticker was $70,400 and I paid +/- $62,990 plus tax and license. Perhaps a December 31st deal, but I could have received 10% off any Cayenne at the dealer, so shoot for 10%. Or better yet, call Simon at Beverly Hills Porsche, make your deal, enjoy the 65 degrees and drive home after vacation.....It's called the LA delivery, like the European delivery but a lot warmer.
Old 01-19-2004, 11:38 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The Servotronic steering is really nice and well executed especially in the city and at high speed.

Get the Comfort Electric package most certainly.

I would drop the roof rack and go for the roof rails, they look much better.
Old 01-19-2004, 11:48 PM
GM Austin
Pro

Servotronic steering.....How do you like it? anybody done a back to back comparison?
I have Servotronic and have received two Cayenne loaners that did not have it. I drove one of them for almost two weeks.

Servotronic adds a very noticeable boost at parking lot speeds. This can be helpful but also gives the feeling of being overboosted a bit. At highway speeds I did not notice any difference. For me, the extra boost at low speeds makes the Cayenne seem more of a luxury car and less a performance car. If I were doing it again I would skip it.
Old 01-20-2004, 12:11 AM
tahoeblue
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Agree with a combo of the responses above. I think you should have the electric comfort package. Have driven cars with and without the variable steering. Didn't notice much difference, but liked the servotronic, especially when parking. Also agree you should go with the roof rails (not the racks). Get the collapsible spare. You might want to save a few $ on the seat memory and go with the drivers memory rather than the comfort seats with memory.

You are right you should have air susp. Nav will add some useful function, make the dash look a whole lot better, and help at resell (though not to the tune of $2700).

Am awaiting my $73K S. Got all my must-haves then some. Next on my list to make it an even $75K would have been thermal glass and parking assist, but my wife was rapidly losing her nerve once we hit 70. Will get this car at about $67K. I agree you should be able to get near 10% off MSRP for a car off the lot.
Old 01-20-2004, 12:22 AM
dawktah
Racer

Minnesota, Option 7VE parking heater or pre heater with timer. I just love this thing!
Old 01-20-2004, 08:35 AM
Matt C
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Re: Cayenne S options advice

Originally posted by Brent 89-GT
Moveable seatbelt anchor points.....I am 6'2" how do the non-adjustables fit tall drivers?
As far as I know there are no Cayennes without moveable seatbelt anchor points. It's only a question whether they are manually or electrically adjustable (the later comes with the comfort seats).

I would also go for the park distance control which I think is really helpful when manoeuvring in parking lots.
Old 01-20-2004, 11:17 AM
Brent 89-GT
Burning Brakes

Well the best news here was that you guys are getting about 10% off sticker, time for some more dealing

I will have to sit down and take a closer look at the options book and the pricing within.

The reason for the rack vs the rails is the need to mount a box up there for hauling skis, etc.

I think I might go for the servotronic. We had an '02 G500 and the steering was way too stiff in the parking lot. My wife would get sore from driving it. I can certainly live with light low speed steering as long as it firms up at speed.

I was fairly impressed with the Cayenne on my two hour drive home. It is powerful enough without twin turbos IMO. It does ride absolutely horrible with the shocks set to sport but pretty good in comfort. It has Porsche power I ran it up to 120 where the wind noise starts to make itself known. I love the 4-5 shift at 110, it just keeps pulling It isn't a sports car by any means but as a roomy AWD luxury vehicle, it works.
Old 01-22-2004, 05:30 PM
Brent 89-GT
Burning Brakes

I just called beverly Hills Porsche, I am seriously considering the LA delivery program My Cayenne priced out at 70,465 once I finally decided on which options I wanted I didn't get Simon but they should be calling me back shortly with a price. I am meeting my local salesman tomorrow armed with this info. If they can't do the same, I will take delivery in SoCal, makes no difference to me. I did mention 10% discount and that I wanted it for 63,500. The salesman told me he wanted to sell the truck but that there wasn't that much room in them. It will be interesting to see what he comes back with.
Old 01-23-2004, 11:07 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 102 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally posted by Brent 89-GT
The salesman told me he wanted to sell the truck but that there wasn't that much room in them.
I wish I had a dime for everytime I have heard that from a salesperson!
Old 01-23-2004, 11:19 AM
Brent 89-GT
Burning Brakes

No response, certainly no immediate response I suppose that he went to the manager and was told they were not interested in giving one away to somebody from out of town. I can understand that I guess. I will probably have to continue trying to deal locally.
Old 01-23-2004, 08:27 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally posted by P-seller
Im in KY, Id be happy to help you get a new C.
Once again, thanks to John D. and his lovely wife for putting the Rennlist community together. P-Seller's offer is exactly what these forums are all about.
Old 01-23-2004, 09:11 PM
Brent 89-GT
Burning Brakes

P-Seller,

Thanks for the input. It is becoming pretty evident that 10% off is just not going to apply to my deal. I contacted all three dealers near me. Each is a 100+ miles away, so it doesn't matter too much which one I buy from. My final round of option swapping brought me to about $69k. I have one dealer telling me $4k, maybe 4500 and another telling me they will beat the others by $500 regardless, and the third was a "token" 3% discount. They are not having trouble selling Cayennes around here, so I completely understand the situation. I did get excited when guys started talking "minimum 10% off". Nobody wants to pay too much.

The car I want does not exist out there and will have to be ordered. One dealer found a March build date for me. The $500 undercut dealer is out till May. Worst of all, now my wife, sick of all the haggling, is not sure she wants anything Tomorrow I am returning the Cayenne the dealer loaned me for a couple days. I'll let you guys know what happens either way.

Thanks again for the advice
Old 01-24-2004, 10:31 AM
P-seller
User

Thanks Toby. I pop in from time to time. Wasnt really sure if it was appropriate to offer my services in this forum or not.

(Edit By John D.

No - it's not. Read the TOS and Charter that you agreed to before your first post. Feel free to e-mail me at admin@rennlist.com should you want to continue posting - ensuring me you understand what you should have already "agreed to" - and understood previously.

John D.)

Old 06-21-2004, 06:00 PM
P-seller
User

Default looks like Im un-banned?

Didnt mean to get myself banned.

Brent just seemed a lil frustrated.

I couldnt tell if Toby was being sincere or not, But I think he was. Although Im a lil dense sometimes. My offer to Help Brent was made sincerely, and I thought it was more discreet then alot of blatant sales activity that sometimes goes on here........

Anyway, I guess Im welcome?

PS

Quick Reply: Cayenne S options advice