Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what have I done, replaced interior bulb with LED and now nothing works !!

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2018, 07:49 AM
swisstony
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default what have I done, replaced interior bulb with LED and now nothing works !!

Need some help guys

After looking at various threads on here and 6speed, there is a ton of posts about replacing the interior bulbs with nice bright LED ones. So after a bit of research I ordered these from china

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/21pc...561a4c4dHC47mf

All looked good as they are clearly canbus error free and also each bag is labelled for the specific area to replace. So all looked fine as I started and the first bulb I attempted was the tailgate (red one). Worked the metal shielding off, removed the standard bulb and fitted the LED. It didn't work immediately so realised it may be directional so rotated it 180 degrees and got a lovely working bulb. Then started on the next one and suddenly all bulbs in the interior refused to work. So after turning the ignition off, locking and unlocking the car, I tried again but still no lights. So replaced the LED back with the standard bulb but still no joy. So replaced the fuse in case it had blown one but still no luck. So what the hell have I done ?? Is there anyway to fix this issue as I have run out of ideas and my wife is giving me dirty looks for messing up her car !!!!
Old 09-05-2018, 02:53 PM
Jd_gts
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Try fuse #12 in the drivers side (left) fuse panel, which protects the interior light circuit and should be 20A.

Also try fuse #27, which may say it's not used (?)

Disclaimer, depending on year/trim, YMMV.
Old 09-05-2018, 03:04 PM
swisstony
Advanced

Remember I am in the UK so is that passenger side ( my left) or drivers side ( my right) ?
I did have a look at the fuses and compare that to the online manual but they dont seem to match up ??
Old 09-06-2018, 09:25 AM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 107 Posts

Sounds more like crappy bulbs. Have you tried it with the original ones back in place?

That and use a voltmeter to check for voltage across all the fuses. Make sure there's not another one that's blown. It's easy to mis-read the fuse box (it's not what I'd call a 'great design'). So when there's electrical gremlins it's wise to check all the fuses not just specific ones that "ought to be" involved. It's easy to do, ground the negative probe to the frame and the check both sides of each fuse. Start the car first, of course. Then just check each side of the fuse for voltage. You should see the same value on each side. If one side's hot and the other's not then that fuse has blown. This as opposed to removing each fuse and checking continuity (or worse, depending on visual inspection). Best to leave things plugged-in rather than risking making matters worse.
Old 09-06-2018, 09:48 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,159 Likes on 3,925 Posts

Originally Posted by wkearney99
Sounds more like crappy bulbs. Have you tried it with the original ones back in place?

That and use a voltmeter to check for voltage across all the fuses. Make sure there's not another one that's blown. It's easy to mis-read the fuse box (it's not what I'd call a 'great design'). So when there's electrical gremlins it's wise to check all the fuses not just specific ones that "ought to be" involved. It's easy to do, ground the negative probe to the frame and the check both sides of each fuse. Start the car first, of course. Then just check each side of the fuse for voltage. You should see the same value on each side. If one side's hot and the other's not then that fuse has blown. This as opposed to removing each fuse and checking continuity (or worse, depending on visual inspection). Best to leave things plugged-in rather than risking making matters worse.
...or just put the meter in continuity mode and touch one probe to each side metal contact with the fuse still installed. If it's good, it will beep, if not, it won't.

But I agree that the car is probably sensing the lack of resistance and shutting off the circuit. I bet putting the regular incandescent bulbs back in makes them work again. If so, try a kit from Suncoast.
Old 09-06-2018, 09:57 AM
michaelo
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 33 Posts

Folks he said "So replaced the LED back with the standard bulb but still no joy..."...stop telling him to put back the old bulbs. Read what he wrote before you comment.
Old 09-06-2018, 10:06 AM
swisstony
Advanced

ha ha, dont worry not taking offence at the "put stuff back in when it was working " plan. After the first time it didn't work and my first look of murder from my wife, I immediately reverted everything back as it was thinking that would help. But nope, not even putting the crappy regular bulbs in would help.
So that got me thinking I had accidentally blown a fuse on the first attempt by following this instruction from the kit
Notes: If bulbs don't work, please rotate 180 degree to get them working.
So given what you guys have said by testing ALL the fuses, I will have a go this evening with my multi meter and see if it is the fuses at fault.

cheers
chris
Old 09-06-2018, 10:12 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by swisstony
ha ha, dont worry not taking offence at the "put stuff back in when it was working " plan. After the first time it didn't work and my first look of murder from my wife, I immediately reverted everything back as it was thinking that would help. But nope, not even putting the crappy regular bulbs in would help.
So that got me thinking I had accidentally blown a fuse on the first attempt by following this instruction from the kit

So given what you guys have said by testing ALL the fuses, I will have a go this evening with my multi meter and see if it is the fuses at fault.

cheers
chris
That note is because LEDs have polarity - a + and a - and if you install them backwards, they won't illuminate. Unlike a regular bulb, where you're just using the filament inside to complete the circuit so it doesn't matter which way you install those, but with LEDs it does.

At this point it has to be a fuse. Another less likely possibility is that the interior lights are controlled by a bulb control module (don't know if this is the case or not) but some lights on 997 are and if the bulb control module errors out, it will never come back on by itself, even when things are put back to normal. However, disconnecting the battery for a few minutes and reconnecting it should reset it if that's the problem. If your Cayenne has dual batteries, you might need to disconnect both as I don't know which battery might power that bulb control module.
Old 09-06-2018, 10:22 AM
swisstony
Advanced

Pete
Many thanks for your insight. I am thinking the same, all fingers point to some fuse or module as you mention it. Unlike our Touareg, the Cayenne has 1 battery so easier to disconnect and leave for a while in the hope this clears the fault. If it does and my wife is not watching, I may attempt the LED's again I am already in her bad books so what the hell, how much worse can it get
Old 09-06-2018, 10:36 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Pete
Many thanks for your insight. I am thinking the same, all fingers point to some fuse or module as you mention it. Unlike our Touareg, the Cayenne has 1 battery so easier to disconnect and leave for a while in the hope this clears the fault. If it does and my wife is not watching, I may attempt the LED's again I am already in her bad books so what the hell, how much worse can it get
I bet the fuse or the battery disconnect does the trick. Don't worry about the PSM failure message that happens after you reconnect the battery. It will go away after you drive a short distance, so with the suspension fault message if you get one.
Old 09-06-2018, 12:36 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

I am already in her bad books so what the hell, how much worse can it get
Cut off for a fortnight...
Old 09-06-2018, 05:16 PM
NelaK
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

I am already in her bad books so what the hell, how much worse can it get
In the worst case - just rip out all the lights and related wiring and claim its a weight reduction mod and totally transforms the driving experience.
Old 09-07-2018, 08:38 AM
swisstony
Advanced

Originally Posted by Jd_gts
Try fuse #12 in the drivers side (left) fuse panel, which protects the interior light circuit and should be 20A.

Also try fuse #27, which may say it's not used (?)

Disclaimer, depending on year/trim, YMMV.
Originally Posted by NelaK
In the worst case - just rip out all the lights and related wiring and claim its a weight reduction mod and totally transforms the driving experience.
LOL, she loves "weight saving" as she is constantly going around the car picking debris, dirt, leaves etc whilst saying ..." I am making it lighter !! " so could well be a plan.
Old 09-07-2018, 11:45 AM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

A. It is very unlikely that an LED bulb could have done any real damage. Resetting the car as the others said should put you back in the good graces of its electronics.
B. Your wife seriously needs a reality check if this upset her and she thinks she is going to drive one of these complex beasts trouble free. Do the following to get back in her good graces:
  1. Disconnect one of the brake pad sensors.
  2. Wait for her to drive the car and see the big scary "Brake Workshop" warning in red letters.
  3. Buy a six pack of beer and invite a few friends over because you need an extra hand to fix it.
  4. Spend a few hours hanging out in the yard swapping dick and fart jokes and replace the rest of the interior bulbs.
  5. Plug the brake pad sensor back in and hand her the keys, so she can see how great you are for jumping to action and fixing it so quickly.
  6. Profit.
Be sure to tell us how this plan works out!

I don't often come up with evil genius plans like this to sabotage and fix one's own car, but seeing how much work you have put into cleaning and fixing things up on this thing... it just doesn't seem right that one small issue like this while you are trying to improve it should give her any grounds for getting bent out of shape at you.
Old 09-07-2018, 05:16 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 107 Posts

Yeesh, y'all must have married some harpies for all the nonsense that gets posted.

Quick Reply: what have I done, replaced interior bulb with LED and now nothing works !!