Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what have I done, replaced interior bulb with LED and now nothing works !!

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2018, 06:13 AM
swisstony
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All sorted
Unplugged the negative terminal on the battery and had a drink whilst waiting . then plugged it back on and checked, sure enough the PSM light comes on the dash but I know that goes after a bit of driving so not worried. And still no interior lights so on our UK model the fuses are in the left hand side of the dash , passenger side. Found position 12 fuse is 20A and replaced that all worked !! Yay

So went around putting all the LED's back in once I found the correct orientation and it looks great. Also bought a big box of replacement fuses of assorted sizes in case it happens again.

Now I have two questions.

1. The rear Map lights. Now these are held on with a torx screw and once removed you can pry out the light housing. BUT the actual bulb is hidden under what looks like a logic/fuse board which is held in all around by plastic clips. It looks like if you remove this board to get to the bulb you will either break it or disconnect metal pins that seem to touch the board. So how the hell do you get to this bulb ? Do porsche think you will never need to replace this bulb ???

2. Dome lights at front. I can remove the plastic light cover and see three dome bulbs in there but boy do the LED ones not want to go in, it is a real struggle to get them in. Any tips ?

Apart from that, all good and thanks for all your advice so far.

The wife BTW is happy again LOL
Old 09-09-2018, 10:04 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,139 Likes on 3,912 Posts

Originally Posted by swisstony
All sorted
The wife BTW is happy again LOL
Mission accomplished then. 👍
Old 09-09-2018, 01:23 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

1. They probably expect you to replace the entire light IF it ever burns out (very unlikely it ever will.. how much does it get used?)
2. TIP: Don't do those. Don't break something expensive.
Old 09-09-2018, 01:38 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 105 Posts

Any chance of your taking a picture and posting it here?

Porsche does seem to love plastic tabs/clips for things. Definitely helps cut down on product weight overall, but it's Hell for serviceability over time.
Old 09-10-2018, 06:10 AM
swisstony
Advanced

Originally Posted by wkearney99
Any chance of your taking a picture and posting it here?

Porsche does seem to love plastic tabs/clips for things. Definitely helps cut down on product weight overall, but it's Hell for serviceability over time.
I will take photo of the unit in place and also when it is out the car so you can see the fuse board I am talking about.

Old 09-10-2018, 11:25 AM
swisstony
Advanced

These are the photos, as you can see the bulb is hidden under the fuse board and I can't see , without maybe breaking the tabs, you can replace the bulbs. I am sure some like minded people have replaced these so guess its not impossible

Old 09-15-2018, 05:02 PM
swisstony
Advanced

Well all sorted

Grabbed some cheapy shorter LED bulbs for the dome lights at the front which go in a lot easier than the first LED and all working lovely

then found out how to remove the fuse board from the map lights

It turns out that you push the clear plastic tab (circled) and then lever it out in the direction of the arrow
Simple !!

and much better

Finally bought some LED units for the rear number plate. Unfortunately the previous owner had bodged the wiring to the old units so had to redo all the wiring but it now looks far better

Quick Reply: what have I done, replaced interior bulb with LED and now nothing works !!