Sponsored by:

ALL I WANT is Less Throttle and Turbo Lag - 955 TTS

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2018, 02:40 PM
ProgRockJunkie
Rennlist Member

Received 370 Likes on 247 Posts
Default ALL I WANT is Less Throttle and Turbo Lag - 955 TTS

Truck has plenty of power. I'm looking for a tune that can get me better throttle response and less turbo lag. I don't give a damn about more power. If it comes with the tune, fine, but have zero desire to delete the cats, the rev limiter, don't want to have to replace the plugs, go to oiled filters, none of it. I just want less lag. Suggestions?
Old 08-28-2018, 05:31 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

If you don't want to make any modifications, then trading your TTS in for a GTS would be the easiest thing to do if you don't care about max power and want better throttle response.
Old 08-28-2018, 06:06 PM
ProgRockJunkie
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nodoors
If you don't want to make any modifications, then trading your TTS in for a GTS would be the easiest thing to do if you don't care about max power and want better throttle response.
Talked to EVOMS. Their basic tune, they claim, addresses what I need addressed. I'll have to live with the 60 extra ponies somehow.

Thanks for the flippant response I don't want a different car. I put a lot of money and work into my TTS and I love her. She's the only Cayenne I've ever seen with 3M on 2/3 of the body. Just replaced alternator, water pump and thermostat while getting at an oil leak. I have a terrific Turbo S and have every intention of keeping her.
Old 08-28-2018, 06:36 PM
Hula
Burning Brakes

Received 202 Likes on 97 Posts

I had the same complaint. Flat off the line and lurchy in traffic. I did several mods and got more power and noise but it was still laggy. The simple installation of a Sprint Booster module solved the problem. It doesn't add any power but it re-maps the electronic throttle for a linear and snappier response.
Old 08-29-2018, 07:23 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,154 Likes on 3,923 Posts

If you're looking for increased response and acceleration while underway, just hit the Tip - button before mashing the gas, the downshift builds boost faster than letting the transmission shift on it's own. If you really need to get moving, hit the button twice. If looking for a better line start, put it in Sport mode - that makes the transmission start in 1st gear instead of doing 2nd gear starts, which is what it does if left in Normal mode. If you want an even more aggressive launch, turn off PSM at the top of your console.
Old 08-29-2018, 08:53 AM
ProgRockJunkie
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Hula
I had the same complaint. Flat off the line and lurchy in traffic. I did several mods and got more power and noise but it was still laggy. The simple installation of a Sprint Booster module solved the problem. It doesn't add any power but it re-maps the electronic throttle for a linear and snappier response.
Awesome, thanks. Will look into this today.

Originally Posted by Petza914
If you're looking for increased response and acceleration while underway, just hit the Tip - button before mashing the gas, the downshift builds boost faster than letting the transmission shift on it's own. If you really need to get moving, hit the button twice. If looking for a better line start, put it in Sport mode - that makes the transmission start in 1st gear instead of doing 2nd gear starts, which is what it does if left in Normal mode. If you want an even more aggressive launch, turn off PSM at the top of your console.
I drive the thing like a manual pretty much 90% of the time, unless the passengers or circumstances call for a more civilized, slower drive. Shifting manual makes a world of difference and it's fun, but forgetting just once in a while to downshift and having it bog down is annoying. If I can solve it, I want to. Turning off PSM is a half way solution. It's a 90% solution leaving the line but I don't like the way the car decelerates with PSM off. Nothing about this car is terrible. I love the car in general, on my 4th Cayenne in 15 years and don't want to let this one go, basically ever. But if I can cover up the lag some with a remapping, gonna try.

Old 08-29-2018, 11:08 AM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by icspres
Talked to EVOMS. Their basic tune, they claim, addresses what I need addressed. I'll have to live with the 60 extra ponies somehow.

Thanks for the flippant response I don't want a different car. I put a lot of money and work into my TTS and I love her. She's the only Cayenne I've ever seen with 3M on 2/3 of the body. Just replaced alternator, water pump and thermostat while getting at an oil leak. I have a terrific Turbo S and have every intention of keeping her.

Hehe, I thought it was a fair response since you made it clear you didn't want to make any mods to the car to get results. :-)
Old 08-29-2018, 11:26 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Awesome, thanks. Will look into this today.
2 things - if you're going to pay the money for a tune, why not make the most of it with mods that will maximize the tune, like intake and exhaust changes. On my 09 Turbo S, I have:
  • ipd plenum
  • evoms billet diverter valves
  • Fabspeed secondary cat bypass pipes
  • cargraphic exhaust
  • HHR cold air intake
  • fvd intercoolers

and a Fabspeed Stage 2 Tune. The car is an absolute beast and throttle response is exceptional without any drivability issues.

The problem with the Sprint Booster is that it just augments the drive by wire signal that the throttle pedal is sending to the DME. You push it 10% and it sends a value of 15%. It doesn't do anything you can't achieve by just pushing the pedal down further but it will make modulating the throttle more difficult. Now if you're one of those guys that is pretty much full on or full off the gas and doesn't corner with gentle progressive applications of the throttle pedal to balance the car, then maybe you'll like it and think it's doing something for you. If you have a Durametric or scanner that can track live values for throttle pedal position and take readings both with and without the Sprint Booster installed, you'll see that this is all it's actually doing. It can't change mixture or timing, or boost limits or anything like that.
Old 08-29-2018, 04:32 PM
ProgRockJunkie
Rennlist Member

Hehe, I thought it was a fair response since you made it clear you didn't want to make any mods to the car to get results. :-)
It's all good Matter of fact I'd agree with you that changing vehicles is always a consideration, GTS would indeed give me the linear acceleration I want. There's a lot about a TTS that's way worth keeping beyond performance numbers. I had to make that choice some time ago, whether I was going to upgrade or stick it out with my '06. I traded in a CPO car, was my third Cayenne and a TTS, right out of warranty on a Maser GT and instantly regretted it. I realized afterward the 955 TTS was the perfect car for me, went and bought another one after a six month search and I'm committed to keeping this one alive for a good while.

2 things - if you're going to pay the money for a tune, why not make the most of it with mods that will maximize the tune, like intake and exhaust changes. On my 09 Turbo S, I have:
  • ipd plenum
  • evoms billet diverter valves
  • Fabspeed secondary cat bypass pipes
  • cargraphic exhaust
  • HHR cold air intake
  • fvd intercoolers

and a Fabspeed Stage 2 Tune. The car is an absolute beast and throttle response is exceptional without any drivability issues.

The problem with the Sprint Booster is that it just augments the drive by wire signal that the throttle pedal is sending to the DME. You push it 10% and it sends a value of 15%. It doesn't do anything you can't achieve by just pushing the pedal down further but it will make modulating the throttle more difficult. Now if you're one of those guys that is pretty much full on or full off the gas and doesn't corner with gentle progressive applications of the throttle pedal to balance the car, then maybe you'll like it and think it's doing something for you. If you have a Durametric or scanner that can track live values for throttle pedal position and take readings both with and without the Sprint Booster installed, you'll see that this is all it's actually doing. It can't change mixture or timing, or boost limits or anything like that.
I agree after reading about the Spring Booster, not for me.

I've done the cat bypasses before, done cat deletes on other cars as well and I a) hate the noise, b) find the stated power gain claims dubious but doesn't matter because the noise is a show stopper. No oiled filters, no bypass pipes, nope, nyet, not gonna happen. No need to get into the debate, just been there done that and not going there.

And definitely not going there with Fabspeed. Fabspeed is on my permanent **** list for a botched job they did on my 360 spider and the horrendous customer service experience that followed. There are quality, higher quality, alternatives to everything they offer and I'll never send another dime their way, Evuh.

I threw on some new stock diverter valves last year. Good enough for me. If my plenum ever cracks, I'll replace it with stock as well. Or glue it? Think I'll pull the trigger on the Evomsit quote this afternoon.
Old 08-29-2018, 04:51 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

It's all good Matter of fact I'd agree with you that changing vehicles is always a consideration, GTS would indeed give me the linear acceleration I want. There's a lot about a TTS that's way worth keeping beyond performance numbers. I had to make that choice some time ago, whether I was going to upgrade or stick it out with my '06. I traded in a CPO car, was my third Cayenne and a TTS, right out of warranty on a Maser GT and instantly regretted it. I realized afterward the 955 TTS was the perfect car for me, went and bought another one after a six month search and I'm committed to keeping this one alive for a good while.

I agree after reading about the Spring Booster, not for me.

I've done the cat bypasses before, done cat deletes on other cars as well and I a) hate the noise, b) find the stated power gain claims dubious but doesn't matter because the noise is a show stopper. No oiled filters, no bypass pipes, nope, nyet, not gonna happen. No need to get into the debate, just been there done that and not going there.

And definitely not going there with Fabspeed. Fabspeed is on my permanent **** list for a botched job they did on my 360 spider and the horrendous customer service experience that followed. There are quality, higher quality, alternatives to everything they offer and I'll never send another dime their way, Evuh.

I threw on some new stock diverter valves last year. Good enough for me. If my plenum ever cracks, I'll replace it with stock as well. Or glue it? Think I'll pull the trigger on the Evomsit quote this afternoon.
I'm interested to get your take in the Evoms tune. I almost went that way myself, but have had nothing but positive experiences with Fabspeed as a company and with their products, and being a previous customer they gave me dome incentive to be tge tune on my custom widebody cayenne build since it's a 1 of 1.

Keep us posted.

BTW, secondary cat bypass pipes on a Cayenne turbo aren't loud, just a little deeper sound and maybe a little louder if outside the CSR and barely noticeable inside the car. It wasn't enough for me so I added the cargraphic muffler too.
Old 08-29-2018, 05:57 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

I traded in a CPO car, was my third Cayenne and a TTS, right out of warranty on a Maser GT and instantly regretted it
Interesting. I have been eyeing the GT lately. I keep seeing them and can't stop looking. A work of art that is comfortable to drive and performs well is pretty rare. What about it did you dislike so much compared to the 955 beyond the fact that one is a 2 door 4 seater car and the other is a 4 door mid size SUV?
Old 08-29-2018, 09:40 PM
ProgRockJunkie
Rennlist Member

Interesting. I have been eyeing the GT lately. I keep seeing them and can't stop looking. A work of art that is comfortable to drive and performs well is pretty rare. What about it did you dislike so much compared to the 955 beyond the fact that one is a 2 door 4 seater car and the other is a 4 door mid size SUV?
There's a lot wrong with the Granturismo. I've had a couple of them, one coupe one convertible. They're very pretty, sound great, perform adequately, But they have a ton of shortcomings, wouldn't even know where to begin. Lots of cheap parts that break easily, equipment stack was outdated and cheap, would throw codes pretty often and they would just say don't worry about it, it'll go away. Proximity sensors were crap, wouldn't turn off when you put the car in park. You actually have to press a button on the dash to turn off the proximity sensors. Top would jam on the convertible. Terrible blind spots. Record setting depreciation. I could go on.
Old 08-29-2018, 09:42 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

sorry but to me that sounds more like a transmission issue, are you 2006 or 2006 ? beta transmissions were at times bad
Old 08-29-2018, 09:59 PM
ProgRockJunkie
Rennlist Member

I'm interested to get your take in the Evoms tune. I almost went that way myself, but have had nothing but positive experiences with Fabspeed as a company and with their products, and being a previous customer they gave me dome incentive to be tge tune on my custom widebody cayenne build since it's a 1 of 1.

Keep us posted.

BTW, secondary cat bypass pipes on a Cayenne turbo aren't loud, just a little deeper sound and maybe a little louder if outside the CSR and barely noticeable inside the car. It wasn't enough for me so I added the cargraphic muffler too.
I had bypass pipes on my previous Cayenne TTS and it was very noticeably louder to me and my wife couldn't stand it, but it all depends on how sensitive you and those around the car are, right? I know a lot of guys who LOVE loud. I kinda do too, but don't want to have to listen to the complaints from the family. I think Billy Boat has a set of resonated bypass pipes now, might try them eventually. Maybe. But I doubt it.

I paid Fabspeed $10k for the grand tour on my Ferrari 360 spider. They flashed my TCU with the wrong software, cost me about 50% of my clutch, argued like hell about everything right down to shipping costs for the TCU. They agreed to pay Ferrari of Washington for the swap and then reneged for about 120 days and were literally laughing on the phone when I called from FoW about the overdue invoice. I started to get the SLOW DOWN error, which on that car is an emissions error. Turned out they installed headers without the air rail for emissions. They shipped me down replacements after another argument, had an indy swap them out and what we found was the ones they installed in PA when they had the car were new pipes welded to a very, very used, old flange. Functionally, okay, but does that seem right to you? Heat shield nearly fell off a few hundred miles later because it wasn't attached correctly. Fun stuff.

Last edited by ProgRockJunkie; 08-30-2018 at 03:34 PM.
Old 08-30-2018, 11:29 AM
ProgRockJunkie
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mudman2
sorry but to me that sounds more like a transmission issue, are you 2006 or 2006 ? beta transmissions were at times bad
Transmission is fine. Drives the same way it always has. I didn't mind the turbo lag and soft gas pedal when it was more normal half a decade or decade ago, do now. I'm certainly not going to be surprised though if at some point I do start getting the hard shifts associated with the valve bodies in this model. Fine so far. Trans fluid looked pretty good last year, too, when we changed it.

Quick Reply: ALL I WANT is Less Throttle and Turbo Lag - 955 TTS