Sponsored by:

ALL I WANT is Less Throttle and Turbo Lag - 955 TTS

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2018, 10:12 PM
ProgRockJunkie
Rennlist Member

Received 373 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by J'sWorld
There are a lot of factors to consider when you put something like the me7 and the tr60sn 09d TCU working together in a Cayenne. I think the fault lies in several area's and it's going to be difficult to pin down exactly where those contributions that hinder the driver are coming from and their true impact. There is a lot of hysterisis built into the control systems on the Cayenne, that makes things more difficult. From what the developer told me about the CTT TCU tune is that it adress more of the adaptation logic and not so much the operational logic if that makes sense. He said that the transmission performance is very good for a transmission of it's class and that the adaptation is what screws everything up. Maybe my experience with my Cayenne can help to open some fresh doors.
Way over my head.

If I understood anything correctly from what you said, there may be a good TCU flash available someday but there isn't currently. And you're working on a new ECU tune very, very custom to you and your needs and that also is not available and will not be generally available for a while? So my best option in the near term is the tune you recommended, explain to them my desires in a tune and get what I can customized and go that route?

Here's a question for you. All these tunes seem to add about 60hp/tq, what are they over-stressing in the process to do this? Like I said, don't need the power. I'm sure I'll enjoy it and it doesn't really seem like there's a way out of it. What's the downside if any doing this to a 124k mile truck?
Old 09-03-2018, 10:13 PM
ProgRockJunkie
Rennlist Member

Received 373 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by Hula
You can affix it to the dashboard if you want that fast and furious look. I have it set to sport and I never change it so the control button is velcroed to the underside of the dash deep in the footwell near the firewall. It stays in Sport after restart so the only time I see it is when I'm vacuuming the mats. Mine's just a lighted button that glows green (sport), red (race), or off (factory). Looks like in version 3 got all fancy with a numeric display but I think it's the same deal. If the controller is disconnected it reverts to factory but, as long as you don't care about switching modes you can stick the thumb sized controller anywhere.

They could do a better job at marketing. The videos they feature seem kind of cheesy. Here's a review from a Canuck Bimmer guy that explains a little more thoroughly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bbn7hI1kpA0

I have no affiliation but they have a Labor Day sale until tomorrow.
I'll give them another look tomorrow and see if there's maybe a money back guarantee if not satisfied. If it seems to solve what I want and I can just velcro the thing under the dash, I might try it.
Old 09-04-2018, 01:24 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,772 Likes on 4,310 Posts

Originally Posted by Hula
This is where the Sprint Booster comes in. I used to dip the throttle coming off a red light just to get going and then back off. Same when I wanted to a brief increase in speed to change lanes. I'd be lurching about in traffic. I don't know why Petza 914 is so dead against it but he must of had a different experience with the Sprint Booster. It has several different settings. Race mode is more like an on off switch and I never use it. Sport mode makes the throttle liner. The factory throttle map gives better fuel economy but makes it feel mushy for the first half of pedal. It doesn't really wake up until you are at 50%. Eventually the Cayenne was offered with a sport button which, among other things, remaps the throttle.

I don't want to be ambiguous so let me state again this does NOT give you more power. It does not. It doesn't give you more boost or remap the ECU or increase the rev limiter or change the timing or remap the transmission or change the mixture. They are pretty clear about that on their website as well. This is not a performance mod. All it does is give you better throttle response which seems to be your goal.
I'm not dead against it per se - I just don't like the kind of throttle mapping it does and the way it works. In my wife's 997 with Sport Chrono, putting the car in Sport mode is effectively the equivalent of driving with a Sprint Booster. It augments the pedal position sensor to the throttle body and the car becomes twitchy, overly responsive, and difficult to modulate and balance through high speed corners when on the handling edge, just like the Canadian guy experienced in the video when he first started off in the Red Race mode.

Maybe with the mods and the tune on my Cayenne, Fabpseed has made the throttle plate react more linearly to the pedal position, again referencing what the review said where if you mash the pedal the throttle plate doesn't react linearly and immediately - if my Cayenne reacted any faster or or augmented my input with the HP it's currently putting out, it would be less enjoyable and much "jerkier" to drive. If in stock form, there is a lag that you're trying to tune out, maybe the remap can do that for you, but I didn't notice this type of lag when my Turbo S was stock either, providing it was in the correct RPM range at the start when attempting a more aggressive pull. If they have a money back guarantee, by all means give it a shot and report back with your impressions.
Old 09-04-2018, 05:15 PM
BrianC72gt
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Not sure how relevant this is, but in my old 2000 Audi A8, you could select different transmission adaptations using VAG COM. It shipped to the US with a luxo barge shift program, but selecting the 011 European shift program woke it right up, until it eventually ate it's "A" basket when the valve body pressure spiked. But that was going to happen either way. Point is, you could simply go in and select a different adaptation and get completely different behavior out of the transmission. Nothing like that here?

Last edited by BrianC72gt; 09-04-2018 at 08:10 PM.
Old 09-05-2018, 06:46 PM
Brainz
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by BrianC72gt
Not sure how relevant this is, but in my old 2000 Audi A8, you could select different transmission adaptations using VAG COM. It shipped to the US with a luxo barge shift program, but selecting the 011 European shift program woke it right up, until it eventually ate it's "A" basket when the valve body pressure spiked. But that was going to happen either way. Point is, you could simply go in and select a different adaptation and get completely different behavior out of the transmission. Nothing like that here?
If it's possible, no one has figured it out or posted the process in this board. I agree that would seem to be a plausible solution given the reported number the shift maps the transmission has.
Old 09-06-2018, 06:26 PM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Received 184 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Brainz
If it's possible, no one has figured it out or posted the process in this board. I agree that would seem to be a plausible solution given the reported number the shift maps the transmission has.
I took a look in the PIWIS 1 under tiptronic coding. There is only 1 choice labeled as USA/ROW. Perhaps if the DME was first coded as another variant then the tip coding menu may open up to reveal more choices.
Old 01-10-2020, 01:38 PM
Sid3ways
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to revive this old fossil but I just wanted to check in to see if there has been any movement on the trans tune? I assume we'd have already heard about it but it's worth a shot.

Quick Reply: ALL I WANT is Less Throttle and Turbo Lag - 955 TTS