Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cleaning got a bit out of hand !

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2018, 06:00 AM
swisstony
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cleaning got a bit out of hand !

Our Cayenne S looked fairly clean from a distance but its only when you start removing stuff you find out this girl has had a pretty tough life so far. We are not sure where she has been driven though a desert, some serious off roading or in some quarry but either way there is so much muck, crime, sand, soil everywhere that it offends my wife's OCD so muggins here is tasked with the cleaning.

Now I know some of you will question our sanity on removing and then cleaning stuff that frankly you cant see, well I think I gave the reason earlier, the OCD that my wife has So dont judge us too harshly.

One arch before

and after

Another one before

and after

Now wheels. Ok they are not some fancy new 20" rims, but they will do for now. One of our biggest bugbears is tyre shops. When you get new tyres they just remove the old balancing weights and leave horrible glue and weight residue. After a while this is all over the wheels and just looks ..well crap. So you need to find a way to remove it all without damaging the paint.
You start with this mess

With some special compounds, tar remover, degreaser, wheel cleaner and a liberal use of elbow grease you get this. Its not perfect but its better

later on in the year might find some old wheels and paint them ourselves.

Old 08-12-2018, 09:59 AM
SheriffShaner111
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now that’s dedication to your craft right there. Looking good.
Old 08-12-2018, 10:38 AM
swisstony
Advanced

Originally Posted by SheriffShaner111
Now that’s dedication to your craft right there. Looking good.
cheers for that. took advantage of the UK actually being sunny so why the hell not.

Old 08-12-2018, 05:43 PM
oldskewel
Burning Brakes

Received 130 Likes on 106 Posts

Looks to be way more effective than my technique, which is to drive through puddles before it stops raining.
Old 08-12-2018, 06:32 PM
Stringbag
Pro

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Looking good!
Search for drain plugs on here and around the Internet. The cayenne has several and they tend to get blocked by leaves, dirt etc. They installed one way valves in some of them (front ones behind your immaculately clean front wheel arch liners are rubbish). I removed mine completely as I’m not taking it wading and the amount of dirt that I flushed out was incredible.
Old 08-13-2018, 10:40 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,140 Likes on 3,913 Posts

Originally Posted by Stringbag
Looking good!
Search for drain plugs on here and around the Internet. The cayenne has several and they tend to get blocked by leaves, dirt etc. They installed one way valves in some of them (front ones behind your immaculately clean front wheel arch liners are rubbish). I removed mine completely as I’m not taking it wading and the amount of dirt that I flushed out was incredible.
+1

Here's what came out of mine when I cleaned them out during the widebody conversion. I also left the rubber drain grommets with the flaps off the car to prevent this level of the clogging in the future.

Old 08-28-2018, 07:14 AM
swisstony
Advanced

sorry I didn't reply sooner, been on holiday and sunning ourselves in Turkey

Thanks for the tip about the drain plugs. It just so happens we also have a VW Touareg so as they are near clones of the Cayenne , we are quite well aware of these little buggers. It seems on the Porsche they are just as prone to get blocked up and so when we removed the arch liner, they were removed and cleaned and the stuff that came out was quite incredible. God knows how they were meant to function being that blocked so a pretty poor design. Anyway all good for the next bout of bad weather which in the UK is usually just around the corner !

Quick Reply: Cleaning got a bit out of hand !