Sponsored by:

Nav Radio Faceplate is coming off

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2018, 04:46 PM
mspa
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nav Radio Faceplate is coming off

I am removing a Sirius Starmate attached at the faceplate of my nav radio and running into some problems with the faceplate trim coming apart from the back mounting piece. I had found a video showing how simple it is to remove this plastic piece. But in the video, it seemed to be one piece. What happened in my case was part of the silver painted trim came apart from the black plastic frame, that has the mounting pins. Now that I have the faceplate back on, the silver trim in front won't stay put on half of it. I don't see double-sided tape, so I'm assuming I need to use some variation of super glue.

Before I try anything, I'm hoping someone found a long lasting fix.

Last edited by mspa; 08-08-2018 at 06:02 PM. Reason: add pics
Old 08-08-2018, 05:16 PM
Avec
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Use Shoe Goo. It takes over night to dry, but the bond is more or less permanent. I have used it for a couple different pieces of trim, including the trim piece right above the glove box, all to great success. Keep in mind that it does not compress easily, so a thin layer across the entire piece is best
Old 08-08-2018, 05:59 PM
mspa
Intermediate

Thanks. Do you know if it hardens completely, or does it keep some pliability? I am thinking, possibly, down the road of replacing the silver trim with carbon fiber. Just not anytime soon.
Old 08-09-2018, 11:01 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,140 Likes on 3,913 Posts

Remove the Silver piece from the plastic piece completely and make sure it's straight, Then adhere the 2 together using the Shoe Goo.or another Silicone or RTV type adhesive. When removing this trim piece, it's best to start at the top and do the side and bottom of the legs last. If you start at the bottom of the legs, they flex too much and will pop the aluminum from the plastic or if wood or CF can crack them in the middle of the leg.
Old 08-09-2018, 12:23 PM
mspa
Intermediate

Thanks! I am taking this piece off this morning, so I'll get to work. Before I go to "real" work.
Old 08-09-2018, 03:23 PM
mspa
Intermediate

I was at O'Reilly's and they didn't have Shoo Goo, so I found this other product called FiberFix Extreme that sets in 30 seconds, you can handle in 15 minutes, and cures fully in 24 hours. You only need one drop per inch, and it has a flexible bond on most surfaces, including metals and plastic. Retails $5.99

Old 08-09-2018, 04:46 PM
Brainz
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

I have a new favorite glue: Loctite Go2 Glue -- it's a silane-based adhesive. Different chemistry than epoxies or superglues, and faster-setting than Shoe Goo and E6000. It's thick (almost like honey), but sets in about 30 mins, so you can reposition it and not have to wait forever to cure. It remains slightly flexible and is heat resistant. Use masking tape to avoid getting on surfaces you done want it on, but any squeezeout rubs off easily after the 30 minute set time.

I've repaired that NAV trim piece in the past with E6000 (and it's held fine), but if I were doing it again, I'd use Go2 Glue as it's easier to work with. I bought mine at Homie Depot. Also available on Amazon (where it gets very high reviews).
Old 08-12-2018, 10:10 PM
mspa
Intermediate

I'll put that on my list of repair products, thanks!

Quick Reply: Nav Radio Faceplate is coming off