Sponsored by:

Nice to have new tires and alignment

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2018, 12:30 AM
WhipE350
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Nice to have new tires and alignment

I bought a total gem of a 2009 GTS with 106k miles on it in Jan. The only problem is it never felt right, it seemed to steer itself at times and changing lanes on the highway it did this weird lateral move. I figured it needed an alignment but I didn't know how much. I decided to wait until I got new tires to do an alignment.

The previous owner (a Rennlist member) was the perfect example of someone who maintains their Porsche by the book. The lower control arms were replaced at 90k miles and an alignment was then done. Between then and when I received the GTS the alignment had become way out of wack. I wonder what could have caused this.

Anyway I got new PZeros today and an alignment...wow it drives just amazingly. I was hoping this would be the case. Here are the alignment numbers before and after: Oh one more thing, threads were starting to show on the inside of the front tires.

Old 07-29-2018, 01:17 AM
slavie
Burning Brakes

Received 161 Likes on 132 Posts

Looks like camber wasn't too bad but front tow was terrible. I wouldn't be surprised if you also had pretty bad steering wheel shake when at higher highway speeds.

I picked up an 08 GTS w/ 93k in January myself and so far it's been pretty good to me. Misfire code popped up once and went away, but I got the hint - changed plugs and coils. All coils had cracks, and two had multiple cracks.
Old 07-29-2018, 02:15 PM
WhipE350
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

You know the funny thing is it didn't shake. My experience is they shake when something is worn out. Just makes me think I should have it checked once a year or ever 10k miles since I can't explain why it was so wacked out.

Quick Reply: Nice to have new tires and alignment