Cayenne Transmission Control Unit Tune POLL

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2018, 12:46 AM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Received 183 Likes on 135 Posts
Exclamation Cayenne Transmission Control Unit Tune POLL

Let's keep this simple.
Please speak up if you are interested in a TCU tune for the Aisin TR-60sn 09d used in the 955 and 957 Cayenne. This is something that I will be pursuing for my project and like most things it's all about motivation for the developer.

High on the list of priorities will be:

*Raising or removing the TQ limit. Not such a big deal for the stock turbo guys with or without a flash as the TQ limits are already higher or close to what you can make on stock turbo's.
*Increasing the shift speed
*Giving full control in Tiptronic mode. Mainly the ability to hold a gear longer before a forced downshift.
* etc. - TBD

PLEASE, Only respond if you are SERIOUS and ready to pull the trigger TODAY.
PLEASE, state what you think the service is $worth$. (Give a number.) For the sake of this inquiry we will assume that the execution is satisfactory and produces RESULTS.
My Cayenne will be the test bed for development and if It can produce results in mine, the rest of ya'll will be fine.

It is very important that we keep in mind,
The Cayenne generally is not worth much. The goal is pricing somewhat concurrent with today's value, not what they cost new. That doesn't work. However please keep in mind that there is not a tune available as of now and cost/availability will be highly influenced on how many people are ready to commit with their wallets and not their mouths. This has been discussed before, however I am not that guy and this is not that thread. Please let us keep the references to that out of this. Be aware. The transmission is a good transmission. A strong transmission for the most part without major flaws. Your valve body needs to be straight before you dive into a tune.

This is just a poll, I am not a paid vendor and I am not soliciting a service.

Let's keep the responses simple. Are you interested? How much is it worth to you?

Thank you

Last edited by J'sWorld; 07-30-2018 at 11:04 PM. Reason: Removed references to any finance. It's irrelavent at this time.
Old 07-25-2018, 04:11 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,166 Likes on 3,930 Posts

I am definitely interested in improving the way the transmission functions. I hate the 2nd gear start that happens unless I'm in sport mode and the transmission is always in 1 gear too high with engine RPMs at 1,500-1,700 most of the time, which makes it lug until I make it upshift with the pedal or the Tip - button. The default behavior in sport mode should select gears that keep the motor spinning at around 2,000 RPM and hold gears longer unless no throttle is being applied - i.e. don't upshift unless the RPMs will be at 2,000 after the shift.

The automatic mode is so annoying to me, being a manual transmission guy, that I'm getting ready to install Mercedes paddles on my wheel and drive it in manual mode all the time.

J, will what you're talking about correct these behaviors?

What's it worth to me, maybe $500... more than that and I'll mount the paddles.
Old 07-25-2018, 05:23 PM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Petza914
I am definitely interested in improving the way the transmission functions. I hate the 2nd gear start that happens unless I'm in sport mode and the transmission is always in 1 gear too high with engine RPMs at 1,500-1,700 most of the time, which makes it lug until I make it upshift with the pedal or the Tip - button. The default behavior in sport mode should select gears that keep the motor spinning at around 2,000 RPM and hold gears longer unless no throttle is being applied - i.e. don't upshift unless the RPMs will be at 2,000 after the shift.

The automatic mode is so annoying to me, being a manual transmission guy, that I'm getting ready to install Mercedes paddles on my wheel and drive it in manual mode all the time.

J, will what you're talking about correct these behaviors?

What's it worth to me, maybe $500... more than that and I'll mount the paddles.
Yes Petza, thank you for the quality feedback. These are the types of behavior that we want to correct. I don't care for the placement of the Tip switches either. The installation of the paddle's will not change the TCU logic but certainly improves the operators experience.
Old 07-27-2018, 12:47 AM
Dilberto
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

I feel PSM off in Tiptronic mode is a good way for me to launch 560/horses 575/torque of 955 CTT power.
Old 07-28-2018, 02:23 PM
Brainz
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

Pete's views mirror mine. Pick a gear that maintains at least 2000rpm so I'm close to boost at all times. $500.
Old 07-28-2018, 02:32 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 126 Posts

The Softronic tune on my 2009 CTTS not only creates over 600 HP but it also keeps the revs up considerably. The engine never drops below 3k rpms unless coming to a stop. It is really so good that I generally leave it in automatic when I am on twisty mountain roads. My hat is off to Scott and how he transformed my car. I wish under normal conditions it could shift this way, but as it is triggered by turning off PSM, one has to compromise. I do, however, like being able to drive around in our insane Seattle traffic with the normal tune, so I am happy to have the normal 550hp tractability. Having over 600hp in rush hour traffic with the revs constantly up can present challenges.

Cheers,
TomF
Old 07-28-2018, 02:37 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,166 Likes on 3,930 Posts

Originally Posted by TomF
The Softronic tune on my 2009 CTTS not only creates over 600 HP but it also keeps the revs up considerably. The engine never drops below 3k rpms unless coming to a stop. It is really so good that I generally leave it in automatic when I am on twisty mountain roads. My hat is off to Scott and how he transformed my car. I wish under normal conditions it could shift this way, but as it is triggered by turning off PSM, one has to compromise. I do, however, like being able to drive around in our insane Seattle traffic with the normal tune, so I am happy to have the normal 550hp tractability. Having over 600hp in rush hour traffic with the revs constantly up can present challenges.

Cheers,
TomF
I wonder if my Fabspeed tune has something similar embedded. I need to turn off PSM and see if there's a difference.
Old 07-28-2018, 03:03 PM
Brainz
Rennlist Member

I have a Softronic tune on an 06 CTT - - it did not change the way the trans shifted, unfortunately.
Old 07-28-2018, 03:18 PM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for the responses guys! Please, please re-read my post so I don't have to be what the smowflakes consider ugly.
1. I find PSM off to be a bit too agressive. Especially in first gear. I feel like an attention ***** in traffic with PSM off in first. Anybody share that?
2. @ Tom F. - I think that is normal psm off behavior. Remember that as you increase power and TQ the stall of the converter will increase as well. PSM off keeps the converter unlocked quite a bit more.
3. Scott can't tune my Cayenne.
4. Scott has had more than enough time to address his involvement/progress in a TCU tune. There is nothing to know. Period. I ask that we do not make references to Softronics please.
5. I will throw ya'll a bone. If you cut the output shaft speed sensor signal from reaching the TCU, protocol is to use the abs signal as default and eliminate the shift adapt program. I have not had a chance to test this yet but it is a simple as cutting one wire at the trans harness. PM me for the tech documents.
Old 07-28-2018, 03:22 PM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Petza914
I wonder if my Fabspeed tune has something similar embedded. I need to turn off PSM and see if there's a difference.
PSM off simply lets the TCU know to use a different shift program or "MAP". The ECU can be made to lie to the TCU about how much TQ the engine is making. Theoreticly, at some point the trans would see too much slippage by comparing input and output shaft speeds against the gear you are in and interveen. Unless, there is no output shaft speed signal..........hmmm.
Old 07-28-2018, 07:10 PM
user 83838290
Banned

Received 471 Likes on 272 Posts

$500

Psm off is indeed atrention ***** for me as it's very loud. When I do psm off, I always shift early from 1 to 2 manually.
I'd like to have something in between psm off and normal.
Old 07-29-2018, 08:28 PM
Brainz
Rennlist Member

Yes, PSM off holds 1st gear too long at light throttle. It should shift ~2000 if throttle is light.

If I want to hold 1st gear I'd put it in manual.
Old 07-29-2018, 08:45 PM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Sounds like we are starting to get a list of wants together. If you can get an e-tune Tcu flash for the rs7 for around $200, I don't see why @ $500 somebody wouldn't take this.
Old 07-30-2018, 05:27 PM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Here is one for the C6 Audi RS5 transmission ($450). The RS6 ran ME7.1.1 Motronic, same version as ours but it had a crappy ZF 5HP24 tranmission, not an Aisan. Probably a Bosch or Seimens TCU.
https://store.034motorsport.com/c5-a...e-upgrade.html
Old 07-30-2018, 06:27 PM
Brainz
Rennlist Member

I would think that whoever could code the TCM for the Cayenne could also make money off the Touareg guys. I've seen threads on the Touareg forum where some of the VW guys swapped for a Cayenne TCM as they felt it shifted better.

Quick Reply: Cayenne Transmission Control Unit Tune POLL