Sponsored by:

Cayenne Transmission Control Unit Tune POLL

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2018, 08:41 PM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Received 183 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Brainz
I would think that whoever could code the TCM for the Cayenne could also make money off the Touareg guys. I've seen threads on the Touareg forum where some of the VW guys swapped for a Cayenne TCM as they felt it shifted better.
Renaissance Man from 6speed said the Turbo S TCU was a different part #. I never investigated further. There may be something to that.
Old 07-30-2018, 08:48 PM
user 83838290
Banned

Received 471 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by J'sWorld
Renaissance Man from 6speed said the Turbo S TCU was a different part #. I never investigated further. There may be something to that.
I can take a look when I get back
Old 07-31-2018, 07:51 PM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Back in the day the '06 CTTS did have a different part number but all replacement Turbo TCU's were superseded to the same CTTS part number.
Old 07-31-2018, 08:48 PM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by hahnmgh63
Back in the day the '06 CTTS did have a different part number but all replacement Turbo TCU's were superseded to the same CTTS part number.
Yep. I did some more research and it looks like what would be most important is the actual software number. I do not know what type of program would be required to read out a TCU and get the software number. For example. I can use an MPPS cable to read out my ECU and then it will give me software numbers and such. TCU may have to be done on a bench.
Old 07-31-2018, 09:38 PM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

I was able to make a small bit of progress. I actually found a company that offers a TCU tune for the 955/957. We had a bit of a talk and turns out this tune has been available for quite a while. This is what I can tell you now, and I need to preface that I have to be conscious about the rules here as they are not a paid vendor.

Based on the information that I have found the tune originally had a price of around 1290$
I know of one 6Speeder that tried the tune and I think was happy. I have contacted the member for a chat but I'm not holding my breath.
I spoke with the developer of the tune yesterday. I was told that the tune does not change the actual software but how the adaptations work. The developer says that the transmission and software is actually quite good and as with most Porsche Models TCU software it is highly refined and developed. The problem lies with the big brother portion of the TCU. This is the part that prioritizes economy, shift "feel", etc. This is the part that wants you to be in 5th with PSM "ON" mode @ 45mph and all that annoying stuff.
The tune is easily administered via a dongle that plugs into the OBD port. Takes a few minutes. There are claims of much improved transmission behavior, 30% increased shift speeds, increased torque transmission / limits, and improved throttle response. I directed the developer to this thread after we talked about my build a bit. This is the response I got-

" Wow, that’s a cool project! I am happy to help out with the TCU, let me know when you are ready for it. After reading what you guys need, it is right there."

I can only assume that the developer has read the thread and deduced what interested parties are willing to pay for such a product.
I was offered a tune to try for free. My intentions are to take him up on that as soon as I have my ECU back and finish a pump gas tune. I am going to take a look at my PIWIS and see if there is a way for me to validate the improvements over stock. I should be able to look at each of the 8 valve body solenoids actual values, gear engagement, TCC status, shift program, temps, etc and be able to put something together to obtain some real world data. The live data-logging on the PIWIS is very fast but the graph it outputs to is not the greatest. I think it will work out fine. I may just have to take a bunch of logs. My plan would be to obtain data with a stock TCU and stock boost, a stock TCU and my max power pump gas tune, and then with the flashed TCU and stock and modified boost levels. This should paint an accurate picture of gains vs a stock TCU without skewing the results with extra power. You get the drift. I think if the product works then supplying me with a tune to test knowing that I will be sharing the results/data, shouldn't be a problem. Nothing wrong with a good, honest product right? Pending results, the community can decide what its worth and make their own choices based on the current pricing- in the future. (was that an oxymoron?) Ideally the results would be good, the developer would become a paid vendor and offer a group buy or realistic pricing for the masses.

If you are resourceful you wont need to contact me to find out more. If you are chomping at the bit and have to blow your wad right now you know how to contact me and I will direct you on the easiest way to part with your money. My only concern is that there may be more or less advantage of the tune for a stock vs modified Cayenne, etc. Prior valve body, and transmission health plays a big part as well. Tunes DO NOT help hardware problems. This is why I would like to offer some subjective testing and data based on my Cayenne as I absolutely know that everything is tip top to begin with. I really hate for a developer of a product to get a bad rapp because some idiot posts crap when its not really the developers fault at all. Fingers crossed!

Old 07-31-2018, 11:50 PM
Brainz
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

Wow. Your ability to find unicorns continues to impress. I'd previously looked for a transmission tune and couldn't find one - - simple web search and all, but still. With all the complaints of lazy shifting (for the Touareg too), you'd have thought this guy would have stepped forward sooner.

The explanation makes sense. Aren't there like 256 different transmission maps? Just kill the lazy ones, or make it adapt to the performance ones more quickly.

Let us know how it works.
Old 08-01-2018, 12:06 AM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Brainz
Wow. Your ability to find unicorns continues to impress. I'd previously looked for a transmission tune and couldn't find one - - simple web search and all, but still. With all the complaints of lazy shifting (for the Touareg too), you'd have thought this guy would have stepped forward sooner.

The explanation makes sense. Aren't there like 256 different transmission maps? Just kill the lazy ones, or make it adapt to the performance ones more quickly.

Let us know how it works.
LOL, I'm good with Google that's all. As far as why this wasn't known.... who knows. You know how really talented people are. Usually passion takes priority and they tend to tune everything else out, many times to the point of demise. Artists don't always make the best buisness men. I'm hopeful as well. This developer tunes TCU for the r8 as well and that product has been extremely well received by the end users over the years
Old 08-15-2018, 09:40 PM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Update,

There is a TCU tune available for the 955, 957, and PDK Macan. I was presented with a really nice group buy situation with a min of 10 units. After much consideration I have decided that I cannot be the administrator of the group buy. My reasoning is simple in that I cannot get behind a product that I have not had a chance to use/test, nor endorse an outside vendor on something such as a group buy without having firsthand knowledge of this persons business practices. Hopefully either the developer would want to become a paid vendor here or I would get a chance to test the tune before getting behind it. If you would like to know where to purchase a TCU tune on your own in the meantime feel free to pm me for the contact.
Old 08-11-2019, 12:27 AM
Murphey Parker
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by J'sWorld
Update,

There is a TCU tune available for the 955, 957, and PDK Macan. I was presented with a really nice group buy situation with a min of 10 units. After much consideration I have decided that I cannot be the administrator of the group buy. My reasoning is simple in that I cannot get behind a product that I have not had a chance to use/test, nor endorse an outside vendor on something such as a group buy without having firsthand knowledge of this persons business practices. Hopefully either the developer would want to become a paid vendor here or I would get a chance to test the tune before getting behind it. If you would like to know where to purchase a TCU tune on your own in the meantime feel free to pm me for the contact.
I’m a new owner to a 955 turbo. Any updates to the tune? Anyone installed one?
Old 01-15-2022, 06:54 AM
Fastone2k
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Murphey Parker
I’m a new owner to a 955 turbo. Any updates to the tune? Anyone installed one?
Hello, can you share the tuner info or company for the tcu tune. I need this asap..You can send a pm if need to or respond here since I'm sure others would like to try the tune also.
Old 01-16-2022, 08:28 PM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

There is nothing available at this time.
Old 06-27-2023, 02:34 PM
Corvetteboy6988
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

My thoughts (which align with others):

1. faster and firmer shifting (its too soft and slow for my liking) I get what they were going for, a lot of people want smooth seemless shifts, but thats not me (coming from mostly manual cars). Soft and slow when your cruising, firm and fast with spirited driving.
2. delay torque converter lock up, who cares about fuel economy
3. faster shifting when using tiptronic, if I double click from 5th down to 3rd, it takes way too long.
4. something to address idle dip, if its programming related. I've tried to reset adaptions and relearn many times, I may have made some progress, but never eliminated it. I think you even suggested a procedure after resetting adaptions to me J's World to help with this. I know, it could be cause by other issues like vacuum leaks, etc. but I believe I have those covered. And yes, new motor mounts help COVER up the issue, but dont eliminate the root cause.
5. I agree, running around in with PDC off all the time is too aggressive, but works well when you need it. I guess you can argue, just turn it on/off when you want! but something in the direction of PDC off, but with 2nd gear start, etc. could be a happy medium.
6. I wouldnt mind a little more aggressive downshifting, to help slow the pig, maybe only when PDC is off. I dont notice much difference if any current with PDC on or off. Might not want this all the time however.
7. the lugging in higher gears at low rpm, assuming this is converter lock up and probably engine mount related, so could be partially addressed with item 2 above. or with a tune that doesnt seek higher gears so early for fuel economy.

All in all, I have been fairly happy with my trans of late, and maybe its because I have been resetting adaptions a lot lately, or that I have overtime fixed all engine issues/kept up with maintenance. I used to have the hesitant down shift when you needed it the most, but its been so long I cant recall the last time. Downshifts have been really good. I only get the hard downshift from 5 to 3 sometimes as I havent replaced the valve body yet as it doesnt happen often.

So its true that no DME/ECU tune on the market for HP/TQ gains, has any direct influence/re-programming on the TCU?

Quick Reply: Cayenne Transmission Control Unit Tune POLL