Sponsored by:

Help me walk through swapping my '06 CTT vs. an '03 CTT

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2018, 12:36 AM
corellian vette
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help me walk through swapping my '06 CTT vs. an '03 CTT

OK I want to start knowing full well what I'm proposing is sort of crazy. But could use some thoughts from Cayenne experts. To start, this is not my first Porsche (own a 996, 928s, 924s). It's also not my first used German car. I can do a lot of work myself in my shop so not afraid of the typical DIY's.

With that - I need help deciding between an 2003 CTT and the 2006 CTT I just bought. Two weeks ago I saw a great deal on a 2006 CTT with 115K. 5 owner car, it had the Cardan shaft and Coolant pipes replaced. The car was in nice shape, but it was used by a family so had some typical paint chips and interior wear. A nice car, not a perfect car, but it was a steal. I put new tires on it, put the correct BERU plugs and new Beru wires on it, serviced all the fluids, and the car drives really nice. In fact, I LOVE these 955 Turbos. But I didn't love the color - it's Titanium Metallic over Black interior.

Yesterday I'm perusing Craigslist and I see a beautiful 2003 CTT that's Basalt Black Metallic with a Sand Beige interior. Like a dummy, I go look at the car and it's beautiful. Interior/Exterior are in much better shape than mine, and again Cardan Shaft, Coolant Tubes have been done and the owner just did new plugs and coils. I have receipts for a bunch of this work, including a new transmission installed in 2010. This car has 10K less than mine (106K), and also seems to drive really well. I like this car A LOT, it's not much more than I just paid, and I can probably sell the one I just got for more than I paid. Or at least get out with $0 loss.

So that's really the deal. I like the '06 I have, but don't love the color. The '06 has the Pano sunroof (which is closed, doesn't leak, and will remain that way) and of course it's an '06 so it has the updated PCM radio. It has a mObridge unit which I will probably steal if I get the other car.

The '03 has 10K less miles, the smaller sunroof (which works), has much nicer interior and exterior (in colors I love), AND it has the passive entry system which is a bonus for my wife (so it has the 2-button remove vs. the 3-button remote). The '03 also has a tune on it which was installed by Chris's German in Bellevue so I trust the tuner (there is some sort of button I can press that changes the modes?). However, it has the older PCM system with CD nav. And it's an '03 so I'm aware it's a year-one car and some upgrades were made by '06

Otherwise, both cars are similarly featured, both have a clear CarFax. The '06 is a 5 owner car and the '03 is a 4 owner car.

So that's my delima. The '03 is going in for a PPI this week and ASSUMING that comes out all clear, I'd like to hear thoughts or concerns. I don't like to by cars purely on looks, but I do LOVE that black/tan and financially I think it's a wash.

Love to hear opinions!
Old 07-18-2018, 09:36 AM
Kris Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 183 Likes on 115 Posts

If you can come out of it with no loss or little loss, and you feel like mechanically the 2003 is in the same shape or better, go get the car you want. The only think that would stick with me a bit is that you will be paying taxes twice (assuming your state has a tax on vehicle purchases).
Old 07-18-2018, 09:53 PM
Chrali
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We all make mistakes, so if you really prefer the 03 colour combination get it, but I do wonder if you'd get out of your 06 without losing any cash, if not then it becomes how much extra are you willing to pay to get into that 03!
Old 07-19-2018, 12:21 PM
Dilberto
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

That 2003 with normal sunroof is due to sag just about any day now. Pano Roof is completely immune to sagging, due to way less flat glued sections.

If your head tells you to do it - then go for it.... you heard our counter-points already.
Old 07-19-2018, 02:17 PM
v10rick
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 86 Posts

Gen I has electrical gremlins which seem to have been resolved 2006 and up. Otherwise if its what you like go for it
Old 07-19-2018, 03:58 PM
RKD in OKC
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Get whichever has the color/options you want. EVERYthing else can be fixed. And you will be happier in the long run.
Old 07-19-2018, 04:22 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Don't keep a car that you don't like. Just rip the bandage off. You may have other issues to deal with, but owning any 10+ year old Turbo Cayenne means dealing with issues on a fairly regular basis. It is the nature of the beast.

Quick Reply: Help me walk through swapping my '06 CTT vs. an '03 CTT