Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it possible to put later PCM Radios into earlier cars?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2018, 03:51 AM
corellian vette
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is it possible to put later PCM Radios into earlier cars?

I know this may seem counter-intuitive to some (who will likely recommend I upgrade to an aftermarket unit), but I'm curious how modular the factory PCM radios are in these cars.

I currently have a 2006 CTT that I really like, and I'm considering getting a 2003 CTT that has fewer miles, and honestly, is a nicer color combination that I prefer. I'm pretty sure the cars are identical otherwise (the 2003 has the lock system where you walk up and press a button) which my wife likes.

I do know that the PCM system is a downgrade from DVD based to CD Based. But - is it possible to swap the radios in these cars before I sell? Can I take the DVD unit in the 2006 (headunit and nav unit) and swap them into the 2003?

Any other things between the cars I should be aware of?

Thanks!
Old 07-17-2018, 01:06 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

It won't be as simple as plug and play. There is a difference in the harness for the DVD based system. Some wiring would have to be done. At that point - the aftermarket unit seems like perhaps a better choice. As far as other things - you've read the sticky on buying a used Cayenne? If so - you'll realize the '03 has some teething problems that were fixed by the time 2006 rolled around. Some are significant if they haven't been addressed. It might seem the lower miles are better - but it actually might not be if you have the 2006 sorted out.
Old 07-17-2018, 01:14 PM
corellian vette
Instructor

Thank you for that! Exactly what I was wondering.

RE: 2003 - I'm going to have a PPI done will check out the thread. Appreciate the heads-up. I like the car I have; it's not perfect but it's sound. So if this car is not better (or as good) i'm fine to pass.
Old 07-17-2018, 01:31 PM
Dilberto
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Yes. But extensive dealer coding and inserting over 15 DVD discs will be required to upgrade the Maps and firmware.
Keep the 2006. It has over 50 improved electrical, suspension and electro-magnetic components, over the earlier models.
Old 07-17-2018, 01:40 PM
corellian vette
Instructor

Thank you again. I'd love more specifics here on what the changes are between '03 and '06

Assuming most of the common failures are taken care of (Coolant Pipes, Cardan shaft and Coils), and the car has no codes and passes a PPI - what else am I looking at?
Old 07-18-2018, 12:30 AM
Dilberto
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

~ 2006 CTT has Cardan Shaft that is 2mm thicker rubber - can last up to 175k/mi
~ Coils updated, on 2006
~ Air suspension struts was improved and reinforced
~ 2006 Transfer Case stepper solenoid is made in Canada, by Buller Industries - far better than US-made Globe Motors unit
~ Porsche increased wiring gauge of many electrical looms
~ Only the 2003-2004 Turbo engine blocks and stock IHI Turbos was of superior quality
Old 07-18-2018, 12:59 AM
corellian vette
Instructor

@dilberto much appreciated! I actually started a new post based on your comments, with a little more context about the cars. I'm curious if that at all changes your perspective.

Quick Reply: Is it possible to put later PCM Radios into earlier cars?