Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bore scoring intermittent noise?

Old 07-10-2018, 09:54 PM
Chrali
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Bore scoring intermittent noise?

Hi Guys,

First post here, so hi !

I'm a couple of months in on a purchase of a high mileage 2006 Turbo S purchased from XS Automotive in Ware, Hertfordshire that won't take the vehicle back and fix it, so I may take a bath on this, but I need to work out what I've got.

I've had various issues and think I've sorted these.
  • P2281 leak between MAF & TB
  • P2187 lean at idle bank 1
  • P2189 lean at idle bank 2
  • 1314 DME Tipronic -
  • 2086 corner light left
  • no manual tiptronic mode
I also got these codes
  • P0234 overboost (only happened once when I was having fun).
  • P0011 Camshaft Position-Timing Over Advanced this pings up fairly frequently.
My biggest concern is engine noise I have as sometimes its a sounds a clacky on one side. I wonder if its bore scoring, but if it is bore scoring, surely you'd expect it to be noisy all of the time ?!
https://www.dropbox.com/s/l8xx29yhso...95159.mp4?dl=0 (this link is a cold start, but it comes and goes hot, or cold). Its on the same bank as the P0011 and the spark plugs on that side are not showing any oil or carbon fouling. The odd thing is its intermittent, sometimes its making the noise, sometimes it isn't. It was quite loud when I got home, so parked up and came out a couple of hours later to take a sound recording and it was quiet again. Nothing I've read on P0011 indicates it causing any noises.

If anyone has any ideas I'd really appreciate it, good news or bad.
Old 07-10-2018, 10:16 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

I don't hear anything particularly worrisome in your video. Perhaps others might comment. I hear an intermittent clack noise that I suspect is the purge valve for the charcoal canister for the fuel tank. These are notorious for making noise. Big clue - the noise isn't really related to engine speed. And if you get hold of a mechanic's stethoscope you probably will be able to narrow it down. I'm not sure where that valve is on the earlier turbos - on the 958 it's on the starboard side of the engine, up front, not far from the valve cover corner near the throttle body. I believe it may be located on the port bank on earlier turbos.. (from looking at various diagrams.) These are used on a lot of cars - some like Mercedes put it in a foam container to quiet it down.

To reassure yourself on the bogie-man (bore scoring) it might be worthwhile doing a compression test. One thing when doing it - that a lot of people miss - the intake throttle body has to be open for them to be accurate. So you have to remove the Y fitting, then use your fingers to open it, and stick something in it so it can't close. This will probably cause a fault of some sort to appear - and you do want to recalibrate the TB when you're done - but that's easy to do and faults are easy to clear.

BTW - welcome to the forum!
Old 07-10-2018, 10:33 PM
Chrali
Advanced

Hi deilenberger,
Actually just found a post on this forum where someone thought the same (bore scoring) as me and as you say found it was the purge valve for the charcoal canister, so I'm going to check that first thing tomorrow.
Thanks
Old 07-11-2018, 05:02 AM
Joefus
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Chrali,

Nice to see another '06 CTS in the UK on the forum.

For the P0234 take a look at post #7 on this link - https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...-could-be.html
For me it was part #9 - the little 90 degree rubber pipe had a hole in it.

The replacement pipe from Porsche was way too expensive so I bough a 90 degree piece of silicone vacuum pipe and fitted it to the end of the pipe. https://www.advancedfluidsolutions.c...pipe-823-p.asp

End of overboost for me.
Old 07-11-2018, 10:17 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,128 Likes on 3,903 Posts

I think this one is your clue
  • P0011 Camshaft Position-Timing Over Advanced this pings up fairly frequently.
Since you say it comes up fairly frequently. I bet this cam position sensor is going bad which is one thing that controls the ignition timing for that bank of the motor - there should be one for each side, and I'm thinking the intermittent noise you're hearing that sounds like piston slap from bore scoring is ignition knock from improper timing of the cam and spark firing on that side. Sometimes it times right when the sensor works (no noise) and other times it doesn't, which is when you hear the noise.

You should fetch a Durametric or similar and track misfits on all 8 cylinders - I bet you see a lot on one bank of the cylinders and none on the other. The one with all the misfires is the one with the bad CPS (also sometimes called a Hall sensor). You can also track live values on camshaft deviation for bank 1 and bank 2 to see if when the noise occurs you see some odd values relative to the other side or all 0s which means no feedback from the sensor at all.
Old 07-14-2018, 08:36 PM
Chrali
Advanced

deilenberger, my purge valve is quiet, so it doesn't look like its faulty. the noise does follow the engine revs but with a slight delay, so feels timing related. Despite the noise I don't really think its bore scoring as its not got worse in the 1000+ miles I've put on it and the bank 2 (AOS side of the engine) spark plugs were perfect, with no oil fouling.

Joefus thanks, any Cayenne seems pretty rare on UK streets these days and I like the bulked out look of the thing. Mine is in marine blue metallic which i think was unique to the 955 Turbo S with the beige/toffee colour interior.

Petza914 my mistake on P0011 being related, as I P0011 relates to bank1 which I thought was the side with the AOS which is where I have the odd noise, but I think bank 1 is actually the other side. I'm looking at ordering a a replacement sensor anyway and I've seen others say it possible to replace it without removing the valve covers. I have iCarsoft POR II, so should be able to see any misfires. You never know perhaps its still related.

Thanks guys, as it didn't happen without pics here are some

Last edited by Chrali; 07-14-2018 at 08:47 PM. Reason: Added images of my CTS
Old 07-15-2018, 02:39 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Bank 1 is the starboard side, bank 2 is port. In your case (backwards vehicle..) bank 1 is the drivers side bank. Cylinders are numbered front to back.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bore scoring intermittent noise?