Sponsored by:

2009 Cayenne extreme vibration / studdering under light load

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2018, 05:51 PM
8R 8S
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 Cayenne extreme vibration / studdering under light load

Want to start by saying thanks to everyone on this forum, I have used countless threads in repairs I have done to my Cayenne.

My 09 Cayenne S is having extreme vibration problems. The vibration is not constant, and only occurs under a light load and mostly 20-50 mph. Has a month old Pirelli's, my first thought is that some of the stick on weights fell off and one of the wheels was unbalanced, however coasting at 50 mph the vibration disappears.

I have read a few threads stating that the cardan shaft, bearing, and bushings could be at fault. Others state the ignition coils and spark plugs, or possibly the motor mount bushings. And of course the more obvious tire/wheel problem. The Cayenne isn't throwing any codes.

I was wondering if someone could give me input on the video I posted accelerating 20-40 mph. The sound of running over the rumble strips is the vibration. I would almost consider it more of a thumping or shuddering, feels as if it is coming from under the center console almost.

Thanks in advance for all of your input!

Old 06-11-2018, 08:13 PM
v10rick
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 81 Posts

Sound from the center console= cardan shaft, bearing.
Old 06-11-2018, 08:41 PM
95_993
Race Car

Received 501 Likes on 344 Posts

Definitely not could or plugs. Sounds like classic Cardin shaft knocking.
Old 06-11-2018, 08:57 PM
vandal968
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Holy crap, it really does sound like a midget with a hammer. I've not had this particular failure yet, so I haven't heard it before. At least it's now an easy/cheap fix thanks to Jimi.

cheers,
c
Old 06-11-2018, 09:03 PM
davis391
Intermediate

+1 for both of the above. Cardan shaft. Lots of threads on here about ways to fix (the $5 Jimifix, all the way to new and expensive drive start). Thread below in particular has links to a couple of options that aren't as pricey as the new driveshaft/bearing from the dealer.

https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...ue-or-not.html
Old 06-11-2018, 09:25 PM
95_993
Race Car

Received 501 Likes on 344 Posts

Hasn't happened to me (yet...only at 67k mikes) but I have my heater hose, zip ties and razor blade ready to go. It's not if, it's when.
Old 06-12-2018, 02:32 AM
8R 8S
8th Gear

Thanks for all the replies!

Every problem I come across I learn something new from you guys. I have the day off tomorrow so I will be attempting the Jimi-Fix. Was planning on putting new coils and plugs in so I'm glad I got some expert advice first (without a dealership fee).

Will post updates, appreciate everyone taking the time to reply!
Old 06-12-2018, 07:26 AM
8R 8S
8th Gear

Was able to poke my phone above the mount and snap this picture this morning...I think you guys were right on the money!
Old 06-12-2018, 12:13 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,157 Likes on 3,924 Posts

I went with the 1 piece solid aluminum driveshaft from www.driveshaftshop.com. I installed it exclusively to eliminate a potential failure point of the original design because this vehicle will be the one we take on family vacation trips and though the cardan shaft support usually last many tens of thousands of miles and I'm only at about 28,500 would have gone a long time, I try to upgrade whatever weaker links I feel that a vehicle may have, especially if it's one that will be many hours from home with my family in it, where I can't just put it up on the lift and repair it myself. It would have been less expensive just to make myself a Jimi-Fix care package with pre-cut rubber hoses, wire ties, etc and put it into one of the rear storage compartments, but figured while I was doing the rest of it, why not, and I actually sold my perfect OEM cardan shaft for a few hundred dollars which helped make the purchase cost more palatable, so doing it preemptively, rather than after failure had an advantage.

Installing the 1-piece driveshaft I did learn something about the design of the Cayenne though and the reason the original driveshaft has that center bearing and bearing support is because over the length of the rear cardan shaft there is about a 1.5" offset to the front vs rear attachment points and that's the reason for the extra coupling. If you decide to order one, it would be a good idea to provide the dimension from the front coupling to where the center bearing support is located to the guys at driveshaftshop.com so they can make sure not to affix any of the balancing weights at that location. My weights were actually right there which meant I had to shift things slightly more that I would have if the weights were positioned just a few inches differently. I was able to loosen and reposition the rear sub-frame 2mm in one direction and the transmission cross member 1.5mm in the opposite direction to allow for enough clearance for the driveshaft and weights. It still runs through that center tunnel on a slight angle, but now does not interfere with anything (like the center bearing support that's no longer being used), but works fine because of the joints at each end. Here are some pics of the 1-piece driveshaft installed.

Old 06-12-2018, 01:52 PM
vandal968
Pro

Petza, did you notice any difference with the one-piece? Noise/vibration, etc? Is this on your Turbo S? What was the cost?

cheers,
c
Old 06-12-2018, 02:09 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by vandal968
Petza, did you notice any difference with the one-piece? Noise/vibration, etc? Is this on your Turbo S? What was the cost?

cheers,
c
Only difference was a more direct transfer of power feeling - none of the other stuff. I think it was about $800.

Yes, this was on my widebody Turbo S - that's my first and only Cayenne.
Old 06-12-2018, 02:19 PM
vandal968
Pro

I like it. I think I'll Jimi fix mine when the rubber fails, but then swap to a one-piece once the center bearing itself eventually goes bad.

http://www.driveshaftshop.com/import...-all-v8-models

cheers,
c
Old 06-12-2018, 02:34 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I like it. I think I'll Jimi fix mine when the rubber fails, but then swap to a one-piece once the center bearing itself eventually goes bad.

http://www.driveshaftshop.com/import...-all-v8-models

cheers,
c
The website shows compatibility with Gen 1 Cayennes, but they work on the 957s too. There's a CF version as well that's supposed to be a little smoother since it has less torsional rigidity, but its almost twice the price and I was concerned about the longevity of mating dissimilar materials.
Old 06-12-2018, 03:27 PM
Wisconsin Joe
Nordschleife Master

Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Holy crap, it really does sound like a midget with a hammer. I've not had this particular failure yet, so I haven't heard it before. At least it's now an easy/cheap fix thanks to Jimi.

cheers,
c
Ya think we coined the "Midget with a Hammer" phrase because we have a thing for midgets? Or hammers?

We're kinda 'out there', but not that far.

OP - You should easily 'feel' the sound if you lay your hand on the center console.

That sounds like a classic case of bearing support failure in the Cardan shaft.

The Jimi fix is a viable option only if you address it before it 'thumps' long enough to damage the bearing. Do not delay.

It's very easy to do if you can get the car up on a lift. If you are doing it on ramps or stands, it's a bit cramped, but still far from difficult. The "Jimi Fix with Pics" thread tells you all you need to know.
As noted in the thread, use heater hose, not fuel line.
Old 06-12-2018, 03:46 PM
vandal968
Pro

Going to hire this woman to do the Jimi Fix for me:

c

Quick Reply: 2009 Cayenne extreme vibration / studdering under light load