Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to keep the Alu trim around the car clean?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2004, 07:37 AM
Matt C
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How to keep the Alu trim around the car clean?

Does anyone have a good advice on how to keep the Aluminium trim around the doors and the windows clean?

I think I've even noticed some tiny rusty spots on the trim below the doors which are probably caused by the salt the winter service is putting on the streets (after stone chippings have "prepared the Alu) !!

Any advice or help would be great!
Old 01-07-2004, 08:35 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Here is some info for SS at the rear, may cover the rest as well.

How are things with you Matt ?
Attached Images  
Old 01-07-2004, 10:38 AM
OVRSTR
Instructor

Matt, I've been using a marine polish available in the States called "Never Dull". It's basically a cotton like fiber soaked with a metal polish that you tear and wipe on the area you wish to polish. Once it dries to a haze you wipe off the product with a cloth as you would any other polish. It works amazingly well. Since it's designed for the marine environment, it's very effective in dealing with the salt and rust stains. Good luck. Mike
Old 01-07-2004, 10:51 AM
Matt C
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks very much for the quick response.

Michael:

Things are going quite well here in Switzerland, besides the fact that I just spent an hour at my dealer to discuss some issues:

- Dripping rear window washer
- The painting (black) on the inner side of the pipes is falling off
- Vibrations between 50 and 60 mph (they will talk to Porsche, since there's no official Service Bulletin for that. I will post any news I get from the dealer.)

But besides these minor issues, I still have that huge grin on my face while driving my baby.

Oh and by the way Michael, you're doing a tremendous job as Moderator. Thank you very much. I really do appreciate the work you're doing for us. (I was pretty busy lately but hope to be more active again on the board, I promise).

Happy New Year from the Old Continent,
Old 01-07-2004, 11:18 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Sounds like your going thru the various issues we all are, there it a TSR for the rear Drip Drip, but on the other things is seems that they put unofficial fixes out and once they know it works they create a TSR.

Glad your still liking it

as usual
Old 01-07-2004, 05:19 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 98 Posts

Matt and Mike,

I talked with my service folks here in Dallas about the vibration issue. From what I can tell, since I was *VERY* specific about the speed range during which the vibrations can be felt, AND desribed it as a vibration/hum similar to what one might experience when a wheel bearing is going bad...... guess what? My service guy told me that he had ordered a NEW driveshaft for me that will be a warranty item. My car went in for the alignment issue yesterday (it was missed on the 7500 mile check so THEY are doing the alignment while *I* am buying a pair of front tires ). At any rate, they seem to also be replacing my driveshaft to address the vibration problem. The service manager knew about the vibration issue and contacted the PCNA Tech Support service line earlier this week. While I'm not real happy about the alignment issue and having to buy two new tires, the fact that Park Place was proactive on the driveshaft and is doing the alignment gratis made left me feeling (yet again) net positive about my Cayenne experience.
Old 01-07-2004, 05:26 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Well thats interesting Toby

Mine went in today, PCA told them to do an alignment first with some very specific parameters. I pick up tonight to road test then if I am still hearing it they will get Auth. to replace the shaft under warranty.

I am also getting 2 tires gratis from PCA they are being changed Monday.

Its like a strange joke, its all in the way you tell it !

I must say with all the issues of first year vehicles it sounds like Porsche are for the most part handling it well, I am happy, given the situation.

Now if they would only start to read our board then things might get better faster.

Mike
Old 01-08-2004, 10:16 AM
Matt C
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mike and Toby,

To avoid mixing up various issues and so that it can more easily be found (and extended by others), I've created a new topic "Vibrations at 50-60 mph" and copied your posts (hope you don't mind).

Matt
Old 04-17-2004, 01:32 PM
ngfan
Instructor

Originally posted by OVRSTR
Matt, I've been using a marine polish available in the States called "Never Dull". It's basically a cotton like fiber soaked with a metal polish that you tear and wipe on the area you wish to polish. Once it dries to a haze you wipe off the product with a cloth as you would any other polish. It works amazingly well. Since it's designed for the marine environment, it's very effective in dealing with the salt and rust stains. Good luck. Mike
I used "Never Dull" yesterday for the first time to cope with the problems described by Matt. It worked very well.
Old 05-15-2004, 12:20 PM
CayenneS
Advanced

Holy Cow!!! This stuff made my aluminum look BRAND NEW all around the car!!! Now joke, I will post a picture if you want. I was kind of worried about my aluminum trim because there were like these black streaks from stuff on the road or somthing, this stuff took it off no problem! I highly reccomend this stuff. I bought it at Ace Hardware, took a while to find it. No one could find it at home depot, but you can try your local home depot if you have too because they are supposed to carry it (check their online site). Trust me guys, there is nothing on my aluminum anymore... it looks better than it did when i bought the thing! Funny thing is one of my neighbors noted that the aluminum looked brand new, wondered if i replaced it (that should sure say somthing)!!

Word of Advice: the harder and longer you go over each section the better its going to look, cleans it better! But dont press hard like a mad man, just pressure you know.

Ryan
Old 05-15-2004, 12:20 PM
CayenneS
Advanced

Hey Matt, I'll be coming to Switzerland this summer. If you want a can of this stuff I can bring it to you! I'm going to be in Zurich and Lucerne. Let me know!

Ryan
Old 05-15-2004, 05:47 PM
Matt C
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ryan,

Thank you very much for that kind offer, but I was able to locate a bike store in Germany that carries it. This stuff is really good.

However, if you like and time permits, we might meet and have a few drinks or dinner or something? Contact me sometime in advance of your travel if you like. Zurich and Lucerne are just a one hour drive away from my home ...
Old 05-15-2004, 08:13 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 965 Likes on 589 Posts

You guys are making me jealous! Lucerne is my favourite city in Europe- gotta go back sometime and eat some fondue down by the lake. BTW my kids loved the narrow gauge railroad near by- great views at the top!!!
Old 05-16-2004, 02:53 AM
CayenneS
Advanced

Yeah to tell you the truth, I think lucerne is one of the nicest places to go on vacation, very relaxing =)

Ryan

Quick Reply: How to keep the Alu trim around the car clean?