Can Anybody Tell Me What Is Missing

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2018, 03:41 AM
twest03
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Can Anybody Tell Me What Is Missing

Hi All,

Just purchased a 2005 S and looking round the vehicle i have found there appears to be something missing in the rear centre console, please see pic, i thought ashtray but on closer inspection there is no recess.

Can anybody please tell me what should be here as i will try and find the necessary parts.

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-07-2018, 08:53 AM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Hello Twest,
Welcome to the P!G pen! There's a hinged cover that fits over the entire aperture. The cover swivels down. You'll have to purchase the entire ***'y.
Old 06-07-2018, 09:16 AM
twest03
Track Day

Originally Posted by Andy E.
Hello Twest,
Welcome to the P!G pen! There's a hinged cover that fits over the entire aperture. The cover swivels down. You'll have to purchase the entire ***'y.
Thank you Andy E that is most helpful where would be the best place to pick one up from.
Old 06-07-2018, 10:30 AM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The dealer would normally charge upwards of $100 for this part. Given the fact that the vehicle is over 13 yrs old, you may want to search for a used part on-line using the part number shown on the diagram.

If you're not sure which specific part fits your vehicle, call your local dealer and have them give you the correct part number via the VIN number.
Old 06-07-2018, 11:37 AM
Dilberto
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Boneyard.... but you may have to buy the entire rear console, unless it's smashed up.
Old 06-07-2018, 03:52 PM
davis391
Intermediate

It's not the cheapest plastic part around (at least it's $92.50 on Suncoast) but this is what you're looking for. Sits beneath the rear cupholder and is easily replaced.

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKU955RLIGHT.html
Old 06-07-2018, 08:51 PM
reachme
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

It’s a design flaw
If you carry 3 people in your backseat you may be replacing it again. Center console sticks way out in the backseat and this door is perfect kicking height when getting in/out. Or heel hits the back and toes mash the door in sliding across.
Plus the hinges are fragile. I carry soccer players with cleats so it happened to me also.
Do you really need to open this door in future? Do you really want your kids smoking in the backseat? Consider cementing it back on for good and move on to other projects.
just a thought
Old 06-08-2018, 04:00 AM
twest03
Track Day

Originally Posted by reachme
It’s a design flaw
If you carry 3 people in your backseat you may be replacing it again. Center console sticks way out in the backseat and this door is perfect kicking height when getting in/out. Or heel hits the back and toes mash the door in sliding across.
Plus the hinges are fragile. I carry soccer players with cleats so it happened to me also.
Do you really need to open this door in future? Do you really want your kids smoking in the backseat? Consider cementing it back on for good and move on to other projects.
just a thought
Thanks reachme i would glue the part back on if i had it to glue on, i have only just purchased this and this is how it came along with a ashtray in the front that wont open, should there be two power sockets/lighters in the back as there looks to be a space for a second one to the left.
Old 06-08-2018, 04:02 AM
twest03
Track Day

Originally Posted by Dilberto
Boneyard.... but you may have to buy the entire rear console, unless it's smashed up.
Originally Posted by nacnud
It's not the cheapest plastic part around (at least it's $92.50 on Suncoast) but this is what you're looking for. Sits beneath the rear cupholder and is easily replaced.

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKU955RLIGHT.html
Thanks guys for the help i will take a look.
Old 06-08-2018, 05:34 PM
Brainz
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

This is truth. What my kids failed to break (miraculously), my dog broke when she stepped on the open cover. I'll reglue it if I sell the car.
Old 06-11-2018, 04:59 PM
CTTS520
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks Andy E. and nacnud for the part numbers and links. Decided to finally replace the missing piece on my Cayenne so I clicked on the Suncoast link ready to order but had to shut it down when I saw that the light Olive gloss finish I need is $437.00. Damn, what a disappointment. I'm not paying that much after just purchasing a new valve cover.

So, what do you guys think would look better: just leave it missing like it is or install the sand beige that matches the rest of my interior for $92.00? Meanwhile I'm going to be searching the salvage dealers for the part.
Old 06-11-2018, 08:56 PM
davis391
Intermediate

You're welcome! I wouldn't pay that ridiculous amount, either. If the sand beige works well enough and the lack of that part is really getting to you, I'd go with that. Otherwise, I'd leave it missing and now and again look on eBay to see if you can find used one but the olive finish could be hard to come by.
Old 06-12-2018, 03:07 AM
RKD in OKC
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Mine is in the glovebox. The dog knocked it off so I just left it off.

Quick Reply: Can Anybody Tell Me What Is Missing