Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

increase in 1st time posters with mechanicals

Old 05-31-2018, 03:55 AM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

There is another small coolant Tee that hooks into the alternator as well. It is down below the passenger side idler pulley... so many ****ty, overpriced, plastic parts itching to fail and so little time to scrape your arms up getting to them all! When I pulled out the original coolant 'necks' as Porsche calls them, both broke their ends off which were left stuck inside the old alternator. I replaced everything plastic with new parts including that Tee. I have spent too many thousands of dollars at this point on $35-$200 plastic parts and can't even imagine what a dealer would have tried to gouge for the labor of such efforts. Trying to keep an older Porsche in a state of a high reliability sometimes requires pulling it out of service for weeks at a time. I can't imagine trying to run one of these things as my sole vehicle.
Old 05-31-2018, 10:47 AM
jellonailer
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Mine has been out of service on and off my lift for 8 weeks now, the parade of terribles...

I still have the serp belt to do - that looks ridicules on a CTT.
Old 05-31-2018, 11:02 AM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

It is definitely harder than most vehicles by a large margin as well. While you are in there I recommend replacing the water pump, water pump pulley, both idler pulleys, the tensioner strut, tensioner roller, air distributor (Y-pipe thingy) and whatever seals you disturb on your boost pipes. We have seen a few people on here that have had plastic pulleys give up and it makes quite a mess when the belt slaps around in there at high rpm.
Old 05-31-2018, 02:57 PM
jeff spahn
Rennlist Member

Received 382 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by jellonailer
I'm doing the "TEE" behind the intake manifold right now on my '05 CTT, finally got at it yesterday and will be installing the Bellmetric metal Tee fix. I can get at it but not sure how to get it apart yet. Fix will probably be a combination of the Tee, heat shrink tubing and clamps with 7mm coming off the top to the vacuum lines. This is right after I finished the rear wheel bearing ( a ridiculously hard project for a lifetime bearing) Saturday and the fuel pumps/filter/FFR repair last month. Then I have to sort the host of codes it's throwing. $2k in parts and countless hours the past 8 weeks.

At least half of the squeeze connectors on my vacuum lines were broken from PO maintenance, last one I'm trying to get apart is the one behind the intake manifold. Between the crap plastic parts and ridicules screw placement I'm close to throwing in the towel.

Only good part is I got it cheap from the original 1-owner, he took a $105K beating on it 4 years ago.
If you want to throw in the towel, perhaps I will catch that towel and take the TT from you for a reasonable price. Now, just who thinks it is reasonable could be in question.......
Old 05-31-2018, 03:44 PM
Joefus
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Drangueos - could you ping me a link to the parking sensor you used?

£7 doesn't sound like a VW/seat part - I got quoted £131 from VW.

Easiest way I found to change the two outer sensors was to loosen and rotate the exhaust pipe tips - then you can clearly see inside the bumper to the corner sensors.

Rotate the tips back when you are done.
Old 05-31-2018, 07:19 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Haney
Not sure about anything other than the 4.5 but the Cam covers ARE plastic and the timing cover and pan ARE cast alum using Dacromet coated steel bolts grade 10.9. There must be a small mistake? I would like to see that document because I might have gotten cheated:-)
I thought I had mentioned - it was a technical information manual for the 92A - 2011 - for the techs working on the vehicle to explain the design and reasoning behind the design.

Direct from the manual..

I seem to recall on my '06 S - that the valve cover looked very similar to the one on the turbo - including a metal sealing surface where the oil fill cap seals and bayonets in. Is that section plastic on yours? I believed on the '06 that the valve cover was aluminum - and that's what I was seeing around the oil fill hole.
Old 05-31-2018, 07:42 PM
oldskewel
Burning Brakes

Received 130 Likes on 106 Posts

Not sure why they care about saving a few pounds here and there on a 3-ton truck.

I recently repaired the torque arm / torque bar on my 2004 S and noticed it was Magnesium. Cool to have, but not sure if it's practical.
Old 05-31-2018, 09:49 PM
Drangueos
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Joefus
Drangueos - could you ping me a link to the parking sensor you used?
£7 doesn't sound like a VW/seat part - I got quoted £131 from VW.
Easiest way I found to change the two outer sensors was to loosen and rotate the exhaust pipe tips - then you can clearly see inside the bumper to the corner sensors.
Rotate the tips back when you are done.
It is not an OEM VW part, but the BOSCH part number for VW is different from Porsche, just one letter but they are the same sensor
VW is 1J0919275 and Porsche is 1U0919275.

I bought this one, don't trust the fast shipping as it took 10 days to get here.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222886818985

I don't know if it is fake or not, this is what I got:
Name:  1GZoWvu.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  123.7 KB

I installed and can confirm it is working.
Old 05-31-2018, 10:06 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by oldskewel
Not sure why they care about saving a few pounds here and there on a 3-ton truck.

I recently repaired the torque arm / torque bar on my 2004 S and noticed it was Magnesium. Cool to have, but not sure if it's practical.
It's not so much "here and there" - it's every opportunity they could find to reduce weight starts adding up. On the 958 - the hood, fenders and rear hatch are all aluminum. The center grill section plastic, the rear bumper plastic with an aluminum reinforcing bar behind it. It's sort of like the Federal budget - a little extra here and there soon enough adds up to a few billion extra. By looking at every item from a weight perspective - they can achieve a significant weight reduction, which ups the fuel mileage (my '11CTT does WAY better than my '06 S did - by about 30-40%) which helps the "fleet economy" numbers which means they have to pay less in gas-guzzler penalties. Per individual item, it may not seem much, but in-mass, it's a big reduction.
Old 05-31-2018, 11:38 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger
I thought I had mentioned - it was a technical information manual for the 92A - 2011 - for the techs working on the vehicle to explain the design and reasoning behind the design.

Direct from the manual..

I seem to recall on my '06 S - that the valve cover looked very similar to the one on the turbo - including a metal sealing surface where the oil fill cap seals and bayonets in. Is that section plastic on yours? I believed on the '06 that the valve cover was aluminum - and that's what I was seeing around the oil fill hole.
They forgot to mention that they changed the cam timing adjuster bolts to aluminum too... weight loss has its consequences.

Cheers,
TomF
Old 06-01-2018, 01:35 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by TomF
They forgot to mention that they changed the cam timing adjuster bolts to aluminum too... weight loss has its consequences.

Cheers,
TomF
Tom,

They didn't forget it - I just hadn't included that part - the next paragraph:
Old 06-01-2018, 12:06 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 125 Posts

Tom,

They didn't forget it - I just hadn't included that part - the next paragraph:
Ouch! I hadn't seen that. Talk about an epic fail...

Cheers,
TomF
Old 06-01-2018, 12:35 PM
NelaK
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Direct from the manual..

That manual would be nice to have! I'm assuming thats just the techinfo/PIWIS website? I tried to register for it a while back but it seems like they have no way for people in Canada to do so
Old 06-01-2018, 02:48 PM
vandal968
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The valve covers are definitely plastic on the 4.5 as Mr. Haney points out. They may have planned to make them out of magnesium and printed some advertising materials based on that info, but that isn't what made it onto the car. First hint, magnesium is magnesium colored. The valve covers are black and they are black throughout the material. That's why the inside (unpainted part) of the valve cover is black, and why if you have any little chips in your reinforcement ribs, they are black there too. The outside surface is painted silver so that proud new Porsche owners don't realize how much Porsche cheaped-out on this expensive part. I designed injection-molded plastic parts for a living for many years, and I promise you that I can recognize injection-molded plastics.

cheers,
c
Old 06-01-2018, 03:08 PM
vandal968
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If it's any consolation, the plastic valve covers on my CTT are in much better shape than the magnesium distributor mount on my 968 which has corroded badly and jettisoned one of the threaded mounting bosses. This is on a rust-free Arizona car. Magnesium has it's own shortcomings and is not automatically superior to plastic simply by virtue of being metal. Word on the street is that the newest version of the distributor mount available from Porsche is aluminum, which if they had used it in the first place, would have been a lifetime part.

cheers,
c

Last edited by vandal968; 06-01-2018 at 03:47 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: increase in 1st time posters with mechanicals