Sponsored by:

noise when turning wheel 2009 Cayenne tts

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2018, 07:24 AM
tsitz
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default noise when turning wheel 2009 Cayenne tts

After warming up, and somewhat randomly, the front end makes a noticeable but not violent whirring noise when the wheel is turned, first left now in both directions, usually only when at speed, so not when turning out of a parking space. Two things have happened recently that are different:
  • I just had the 60k service done on this car...
  • it's been raining here for 2 weeks so one day I lifted the suspension up all the way, just for the heck of it.
I brought the car back to the shop and they found, in a 5 minute examination, nothing wrong mechanically. There are no plastic parts hitting the wheels or tires. I checked the power steering fluid and it's all there.

I hate to drive it till it gets worse, but cannot figure out what it is other than some power steering problem? The car drives, turns, and handles perfectly, but this elevated noise when the wheel is turned is not normal, nor was it there before.
Any thoughts or advice would be most appreciated.
Old 05-25-2018, 10:16 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,140 Likes on 3,913 Posts

Did the 60,000 mile service include a change of the power steering fluid or reservoir, or a change of the PDCC fluid or reservoir. Pull of the Driver's side beauty cover and see what the fluid levels in those 2 reservoirs look like. You bleed the power steering system by turning the wheel side to side while watching the fluid level and keeping it topped up. If you're seeing bubbles moving around or the fluid level decreasing as you do this, there is still air trapped in the system. With PDCC, you just have to drive it through some turns check the level, drive it some more, etc.
Old 05-25-2018, 11:05 AM
tsitz
Instructor

I will find out. I was beginning to think it was a PS fluid issue... so thanks for this and this may well be the problem. The fact that it gets worse with the car warming up I am not sure is relevant but it's definitely the case.
Old 06-20-2018, 06:16 PM
tsitz
Instructor

Saga over. Independent repair shop never filled the second (there are 2) PDCC/PS reservoir fluid spots, and the second one was left bone dry. Didn't take long for the Tandem pump to...... you guessed it..... burn up.
So, a perfectly running 2009 CTTS went in to the shop for 60k service. A month later, a 4k bill, a new tandem pump (They're really fun to get to in this car), lots of bleed procedures, and luckily no metal shavings in the fluid, and I am back on the road.
This entire time (almost 3 weeks) I had a loaner from Porsche; a 2018 Cayenne. While I liked the air-conditioned seat, this car cannot hold a candle to the 2009 ctts. Not even in the same category.
Oh, and the independent repair guy, to his credit, paid for everything.

Quick Reply: noise when turning wheel 2009 Cayenne tts