Sponsored by:

When EXACTLY to drive in each mode. Cayenne 957

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2018, 08:05 PM
grold44
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When EXACTLY to drive in each mode. Cayenne 957

My first post...I assume this has been covered but I cannot find a clear answer. I asked at the Porsche dealership and they told me to go look at youtube...but no luck finding exactly what I need.

Can someone please list exactly when they would use each of the off road modes and PSM off mode and the manual mode?

So far one thing I have gathered (from the manual) Snow covered hills-- use Manual mode so gear change does not cause slippage.

PSM off for loose surface or deep snow or snow chains.(from the manual)

control button
push forwards for off road USE THAT WHEN not just easy flat dirt roads?
push forwards again for centre diff lock USE THAT WHEN EXACTLY? I understand that I should use it when the off road situation is worse...but WHEN EXACTLY? icy road and loose surface?
push forwards again for rear diff lock (only if equipped with PTV) I dont have that on mine...but I assume that is when you are really stuck?

...so confused...it seems like just close your eyes and hope your combination of settings is correct for the less than ideal road surface.

sorry if this has been covered...but I cant find it. thanks! Kevin.
Old 05-23-2018, 09:27 PM
PTEC
Burning Brakes

The answer to these questions IMO is "when you need them." You have the basic understanding of the modes. Most Cayenne's don't have the rear diff lock, that was not a very common option. Pushing forward one time will give you low range. This gear reduction will allow you to climb or descend steep grades easier. Pushing forward again will lock the center differential which ensures at least either one of the front or back wheels will continue to transmit power to the ground. If you had the rear diff lock you would click forward again and that would lock the rear wheels together ensuring both wheels are transmitting power. This would be useful if you had the suspension flexed and you had one wheel in the air or in some very loose sand, the other wheel should pull you out (assuming it had traction.) If you were going out in some serious snow and ice maybe you might consider the center diff lock but other than that, unless you're planning on doing some fairly serious off-road driving, most Cayenne owners will probably never use any of it. Then again I don't live where there is snow or ice lol.
Old 05-23-2018, 09:35 PM
grold44
2nd Gear

Default Special tires?

Wouldn't you need special off road or snow tires before you would use any off road features? Can you drive this car to go skiing i.e. light snow without special tires or chains?
Old 05-23-2018, 09:43 PM
PTEC
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by grold44
Wouldn't you need special off road or snow tires before you would use any off road features? Can you drive this car to go skiing i.e. light snow without special tires or chains?
That would help you for sure, you can have all the traction aids in the world but they only work as well as the tires can grip. What kind of tires do you currently have? All seasons should be OK in light snow on plowed roads, summer tires wont grip for anything in cold even if there's no snow. True winter tires would definitely be safer/better in low temps but are probably overkill if you only go skiing a couple times a year. At that point you would better off carrying chains rather than buying all new tires you wont really use.
Old 05-24-2018, 05:33 AM
ScootCherHienie
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Never EVER lock the differentials on pavement unless you want some very expensive drivetrain repairs.... locking is only for surfaces the tires can slip on... dirt, sand, possibly snow at times, but generally not used when on paved roads even if there is some snow because all you need is a few long tight corners that are dry to mess something in the drivetrain up.

The Cayenne has full-time four wheel drive that is perfectly fine and probably 98% of Cayennes never use any of the other 4WD modes. In other words, you may NEVER need any of the selectable 4WD options if you never drive off-pavement. Turn PSM off and you have to pay damn close attention to anything you might do... it's not a good idea to turn PSM off on pavement unless you are possibly practicing car control in a big area with no obstacles, because 2400 kilo SUVs have an incredible amount of inertia compared to vehicles that weigh much less. Sport is even unnecessary if you are just running errands or commuting. But it's there if you ever want to push the vehicle more than usual... but I still would not turn off PSM until you feel when PSM starts controlling the vehicle. When you get a feel for that, you'll know better what speeds to expect to have trouble if you disable PSM.
Old 05-24-2018, 10:52 AM
phatz
Burning Brakes

Received 164 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by ScootCherHienie
but I still would not turn off PSM until you feel when PSM starts controlling the vehicle. When you get a feel for that, you'll know better what speeds to expect to have trouble if you disable PSM.
...interesting
I love the Phatz Says More button
And turn it off as soon as the oil heats up
Some fine reading here
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...g-psm-off.html
https://www.deter.com/porsche/PSM.txt
Old 05-24-2018, 03:12 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by ScootCherHienie
Never EVER lock the differentials on pavement unless you want some very expensive drivetrain repairs.... locking is only for surfaces the tires can slip on... dirt, sand, possibly snow at times, but generally not used when on paved roads even if there is some snow because all you need is a few long tight corners that are dry to mess something in the drivetrain up.
It is actually a bad idea to run with locked differentials in snow and ice. Certainly okay to lock the transfer case (center differential as Porsche call it) to ensure power to both front and rear, but if you have a locking differential, you should limit the use to only when you get stuck. Locking differentials on ice will cause a vehicle to have less control when turning.
Old 05-24-2018, 03:15 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Also, I turn PSM off quite a bit. Definitely makes it more fun. I know this because the wife complains quite a bit more about my driving when I do this.
Old 05-25-2018, 10:32 PM
RS-America
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 100 Posts

We have dedicated off-road and snow-ice tires because most of our driving is off-road - Overlanding and Rally.
General Grabber AT2s three season and Nokian Hakkapeliitta 8s for winter. Will probably try a set of BFG KOs for our big summer trip.
The only time we have been stuck was one time we high centered in snow. Skid plates make a great toboggan given just a little forward speed.
We find the Sport button useful for slowing down - especially on slippery surfaces.
Even with dedicated tires we always bring our set of Maxtrax recovery boards. The Maxtrax have gotten more use getting others unstuck. They fit in the tailgate from left to right making a fence to keep loose stuff from falling out. https://us.maxtrax.com.au/

Old 05-26-2018, 09:59 AM
bigbevo
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I turned off the PSM yesterday for the first time and put it into sport mode. I noticed a difference at low speed for sure.

Quick Reply: When EXACTLY to drive in each mode. Cayenne 957