Sponsored by:

SAI secondary air injection valve kombi

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2018, 03:29 PM
jrandsu
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SAI secondary air injection valve kombi

I had the air filter material take out the fan blades in the SAI and I assume a lot of debris has now made its way to the valve at the end of the hose. The valve is Part 14 on the emission diagram. It is located on the back of the engine. What is the easiest way to get to the valve? Does anybody here have experience removing this valve?
Old 05-05-2018, 07:00 PM
LAPorscheGuy
Track Day

What engine? I assume its a V8. Ill also assume its high mileage. Wouldn't be a bad idea to replace both air pumps and both valves... remove the pump bracket and you should be able to get your hands/tools down there.
Old 05-05-2018, 10:15 PM
JAGMAN1
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Had the same thing happen. Valve is easy to get to. Two torx bolts secure it to the exhaust. Remove clean with brake cleaner and reinstall. I reused the gasket. The valve is extremely durable as it sees very high temperatures throughout its service life.

I then removed the foam from the other pump.

Replacement pumps from a Camaro work. 2002 if I recall.
Old 05-05-2018, 11:19 PM
jrandsu
Track Day

Thanks for the replies, but how do you get to the valve? It is in between the top of the motor and the bottom. I can't even reach it or touch it with my hand. What do you need to remove to get to it? Driveshaft? Exhaust?
Old 05-06-2018, 09:39 AM
JAGMAN1
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

I was able to get to the drivers side valve on a 2004 CTT from the top. Remove the secondary air injection pump. Then remove the mounting bracket that the pump attaches to. From there you should have fairly easy access to the valve.

I’m not sure which engine you have, but this was my experience on a ‘04 CTT. The passenger side of mine looked to be about the same procedure.

The valve is made of either stainless or brass and shouldn’t fail. It may be clogged with debris, which will then allow hot exhaust air into the valve causing carbon build up. That build up can be removed with a little brake cleaner and some scrubbing with a scrubbing pad or a brass bristle brush.

Hardest part was getting the screws back in.
Old 05-06-2018, 05:45 PM
jrandsu
Track Day

Yeah it looks like the drivers side is a walk in the park compared to the passenger side. On the passenger side, I cannot fit a hand between the motor and the firewall.
Old 05-06-2018, 06:29 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by jrandsu
Yeah it looks like the drivers side is a walk in the park compared to the passenger side. On the passenger side, I cannot fit a hand between the motor and the firewall.
It would be immensely helpful in getting a good answer if we knew what year/engine you're talking about. There are differences between them.
Old 05-06-2018, 11:07 PM
jrandsu
Track Day

The car is a 2006 CTT. I typed it in another post, but I must have deleted it somehow.
I finally got the valve off. I had to go under the car and use about 24 inches of extentions and a wobbly at the torx socket end to remove the bolts. One bolt is removed from one side of the exhaust and the other from the other side of the exhaust. The valve and hose then snake their way out the bottom.
When I blew into the valve, there was no restriction. It went right through. I used some right angle needle nose to move the valve up and down and finally dislodged a piece of the SAI fan. The plastic chip was holding the valve open. I cleaned the valve with brake clean and reinstalled it back in the car. Putting the part back on took about 2 hours to put in the 2 screws. You can't reach it with your hands so a second person was helping on the top side of the engine with a curved piece of metal to help push down on the valve while I was under the car with the 24 inch extention and long screwdriver to lever it into place.
Job is done. Thanks
Old 05-10-2018, 06:59 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

*note to self* double check in my service logs that I removed the foam filters on my SAI pumps tonight!!

Quick Reply: SAI secondary air injection valve kombi