Sponsored by:

Pano Sunroof Story...

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2018, 08:25 PM
Dilberto
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Pano Sunroof Story...

Panorama roof has not worked right, since the day I got it. I even received an $800 purchase discount, because we were unable to close the roof, while I was "testing it out." After nearly two hours of playing with the switch dial settings at home - I was able to keep it closed.... for the next year. A year later, the sunshade started making annoying ticking sounds, each time I tried to use it. One day, I hear a loud POP and the gut-churning sounds of grinding, buzzing plastic gears. I was able to use the emergency manual operation and shut it down closed, for another year.

I removed the front sunshade motor only to find both internal cogs have 5-7 stripped teeth, per gear. I got a set of 3D printed plastic reproductions from Germany but they proved to be worthless and inoperable. One day, I see a used, 2003 911 Carerra sunroof motor, for $153/shipped. I swapped-out the control boxes and the new motor works great. Now, I'm plagued with a NEW PROBLEM....random, ghost open and close operation. I pull the recently-installed motor, in a vain attempt to resolve the "possessed" operation. One evening - my exhausted eye spots a sliver of bare exposed wire, peeking from underneath the wiring loom wrapping. As I unravel the wrapping, a fine powder peppers my center console: powdered remnants of existing wiring insulation got so hot it crumbled into a powdery mess. This revelation overjoys me.... and at the very same time I feel dread, knowing all the intricate re-wiring work involved.

One-by-one, I resort to applying heat shrink tubing to each crossed-up wire. I was convinced my Pano roof needed complete system replacement... to the tune of $8200+. After everything was buttoned-up and re-synched - the Pano roof worked perfectly on the first try. Total repair cost = $175. Canceling Porsche dealer diagnostic appointment = Priceless:

Old 05-03-2018, 11:43 PM
barlowdo
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You must be pretty happy with that repair.
Old 05-04-2018, 12:17 AM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Score one for the good guys! Good to know that the Porsche wiring likes to disintegrate in places other than the headlights and footwells!
The following users liked this post:
Crozzer (02-04-2023)
Old 05-04-2018, 01:44 AM
Dilberto
Drifting

Originally Posted by barlowdo
You must be pretty happy with that repair.
Been wanting Pano roof for a long time. On a cool, sunny day - the roof even closed... feels like you're seated inside a Yacht.
Old 05-04-2018, 08:36 AM
kino1161
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Great info! Where exactly did you catch a glimmer of the exposed wiring? What part of the pano roof or interior of the truck? I went through a pano roof replacement after purchasing my GTS to the tune of $10K. The dealer wanted $12K but I was able to haggle and they came down to $10K. I do not want to go through this ever again. So, I just want to know if it did to look in certain places.
Old 05-04-2018, 10:49 AM
Brainz
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

Nice job. Thanks for posting. Those wires look smoked!
Old 05-04-2018, 11:03 AM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 126 Posts

Way to go! I have a pano in my 2009 CTTS and had one in my 2008 CTT and absolutely love the option. While there are a lot of naysayers out there, you have proven that someone with the skills and fortitude can repair the roof themselves. Truly impressive.

Best,
TomF
Old 05-04-2018, 11:36 AM
Wisconsin Joe
Nordschleife Master

Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Can't quite tell from the pics, is this the black one?

928s have an interesting tendency to fry out the wires for the interior lights, mainly the ones at the top of the windshield and the top of the rear hatch.
Since both sit in the roof area, strong sun and a dark colored car can get hot enough to melt the insulation. Then the exposed wires short out against the metal.

It's possible this is what happened to the wires in yours. But just a guess.
Old 05-04-2018, 01:28 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,139 Likes on 3,912 Posts

Good for you ! Welcome to the world of a superfast, almost convertible, SAV rather than just a greenhouse \\

I actually lubricated my tracks and pivot points and Gummi Pfledged my seals this morning to keep the Pano roof running in tip top shape.
Old 05-04-2018, 01:37 PM
Dilberto
Drifting

Originally Posted by kino1161
Great info! Where exactly did you catch a glimmer of the exposed wiring? What part of the pano roof or interior of the truck? I went through a pano roof replacement after purchasing my GTS to the tune of $10K. The dealer wanted $12K but I was able to haggle and they came down to $10K. I do not want to go through this ever again. So, I just want to know if it did to look in certain places.
The exposed wiring ran from the harness loom coming from the overhead console, directly into the switch dial rheostat(photos)...six wires got so hot from amperage, they got baked. This was caused by lack of lubrication and high ambient heat. The strained closing operation of the forward panels roasted the thin-gauge wires to the point they were all touching each other. The frustrating, random ghost open/close operation led me to believe my roof was so far out of sync - the previous owner decided to get rid of it.

Now that it's finally fixed.... I got myself a creampuff!
Old 03-21-2019, 07:35 PM
Ant86
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacement Motors

Do you know where I can find all 3 replacement motors? Are the two for the glass and one for the shade all the same? My shade as well as the entire roof will no longer open.
Originally Posted by Dilberto
The exposed wiring ran from the harness loom coming from the overhead console, directly into the switch dial rheostat(photos)...six wires got so hot from amperage, they got baked. This was caused by lack of lubrication and high ambient heat. The strained closing operation of the forward panels roasted the thin-gauge wires to the point they were all touching each other. The frustrating, random ghost open/close operation led me to believe my roof was so far out of sync - the previous owner decided to get rid of it.

Now that it's finally fixed.... I got myself a creampuff!
Old 03-21-2019, 11:13 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by Ant86
Do you know where I can find all 3 replacement motors? Are the two for the glass and one for the shade all the same? My shade as well as the entire roof will no longer open.

Welcome to the Cayenne forum Ant..

If the glass portion is closed and not leaking, simply remove the fuses for the motors and forget about opening it. Opening it is vastly overrated compared to the failure rate of the 955/957 pano roof that's actually used. The shade could be annoying, sometimes it's nice to open it fully on a sunny winter day. I sort of doubt that individual parts are available - but a search of some on-line dealers parts department parts listing should reveal if it is. If it is - the price may shock you into forgetting about opening it anyway.
Old 03-21-2019, 11:27 PM
Ant86
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motors?

Originally Posted by deilenberger
Welcome to the Cayenne forum Ant..

Do you know if all 3 of the motors are the same? I want to at least trying changing the motor for the shade. I can live without opening the roof, but would like to have the shade functioning at minimum. Especially with the nice weather ahead.

If the glass portion is closed and not leaking, simply remove the fuses for the motors and forget about opening it. Opening it is vastly overrated compared to the failure rate of the 955/957 pano roof that's actually used. The shade could be annoying, sometimes it's nice to open it fully on a sunny winter day. I sort of doubt that individual parts are available - but a search of some on-line dealers parts department parts listing should reveal if it is. If it is - the price may shock you into forgetting about opening it anyway.
the glass portion is closed and not leaking, simply remove the fuses for the motors and forget about opening it. Opening it is vastly overrated compared to the failure rate of the 955/957 pano roof that's actually used. The shade could be annoying, sometimes it's nice to open it fully on a sunny winter day. I sort of doubt that individual parts are available - but a search of some on-line dealers parts department parts listing should reveal if it is. If it is - the price may shock you into forgetting about opening it anyway.[/QUOTE]
Old 03-22-2019, 02:17 AM
Dilberto
Drifting

All 3 pano motors are the same.
Old 03-22-2019, 10:03 AM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 792 Likes on 444 Posts

Oh, those pano roofs!

A buddy of mine recently picked up an '06 CTT and it had a pano roof. Within a month the roof was jammed open. He got it closed, but I wish he'd asked me about the truck before he'd bought it, I'd have warned him away from the pano.

I'm glad that you got yours sorted!

Quick Reply: Pano Sunroof Story...