Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When did Aluminum Pipes appear? What year?

Old 05-03-2018, 07:42 PM
tadink
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default When did Aluminum Pipes appear? What year?

and here's why I'm asking the question - neither my mechanic nor I can verify with all the tricks and tools that my pipes are aluminum, but the carfax report details that in 2009 they had the manifold off for 'coolant pipe bypass repair' whatever that might mean. When I was doing my pre-purchase investigation I gleefully / hopefully thought that meant that the pipes had been replaced, but maybe in 2009 the dealer would have simply replaced them with original plastic pipes???

Since we are not seeing any aluminum under there with the borescope, camera phone, mirror etc., I'm thinking I'm facing the coolant pipe replacement dance. ugh.

----> INSERT REASSURING WORDS HERE TO CALM MY NERVES! OR NOT.

Thanks for such a valuable forum and knowledgeable contributions from you all.....

tom
Napa
Old 05-03-2018, 07:47 PM
dhc905
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Based on my experience, not even the dealer that installed my alum pipes was able to check to see if they've been done and are not leaking (and they're telling me I'm going to have to change MORE pipes).
Old 05-03-2018, 07:52 PM
dhc905
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Also the answer is 2007, IIRC.
Old 05-03-2018, 07:58 PM
tadink
Intermediate

aaaaahhhhh - a mix of 'not encouraging words' and a factoid thrown in! LOL

So, the follow on question is at what point did Porsche start installing alum coolant pipes when their ****ty plastic ones started failing? Post 2009?

I was hoping to avoid this mess....

And I failed to mention - this is a 2005 CTT, black w/ tan interior, 103k miles. And an absolute blast to drive!! My wife has claimed it as 'hers'.

td
Old 05-03-2018, 08:11 PM
95_993
Race Car

Received 501 Likes on 344 Posts

Td,
I am surprised they cannot see if they alum or plastic with a borescope. I was able to snake a $20 iPhone borescope down at the rear of the intake and see that the junction where the alum meets. No alum flange visible then they are plastic. Mine were plastic at 65k miles and changed to aluminum a couple of weeks ago. No leaking. Also changed Starter WIWIT because I have no intentions of having the intake off again ever.
Old 05-03-2018, 08:43 PM
Pointbye
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 29 Posts

Sounds like your “mechanic” doesn’t know what he’s looking for. How many other Porsche’s does he work on?
Old 05-05-2018, 06:08 AM
tadink
Intermediate

UPDATE: I called PCNA and with my VIN# they were able to do a bit of research with their database and determine that the dealer who did the repair work in 2009 was in Woodland Hills in SoCal. When I called them they were able to dig into the repair order and determine that the parts they used were indeed the Alum. coolant pipes. While they were in there it appears they also replaced the coolant TEEs....but I'm sure the replacement part was plastic at that time. They saild could not determine that from their part numbers.

The local Sonnen dealer in Marin County CA happily quoted $3714 to do the repair - that was before I spoke with the Woodland Hills dealer.

Re: class action lawsuit - PCNA was pretty ignorant of the details around the case, but they insisted that their responsibility ended with the settlement. Since I'm 4 years late to the party, ti is unlikely there will be anything that comes out of it. So my interpretation is that you are on your own at this point in 2018 relative to the coolant pipe settlement and PCNA's "responsibility" for extremely poor design by PAG.

I asked the rep at PCNA if he has been hearing anything about the cylinder wall scoring issues - he said he has not, and could not find anything related to scoring in his database.....so they are pleading ignorant to that problem at this point. I remarked that PAG must feel some responsibility for ****ty engineering design since they made IMS bearings that explode 996 engines, plastic coolant pipes that don't stand the test of time, and now cylinder wall scoring that grenade engines.......stony silence at his end of the phone.

So, for now, I'm somewhat satisfied that my pipes may be aluminum, IF the dealer knows what they are talking about re: their original repair in 2009. And no, this particular mechanic does not have a ton of experience with the PIGs. I'm going to get to another Indy to see if they can make a definitive call on seeing the alum pipes....just to be sure.
Old 05-05-2018, 07:53 AM
Rod Croskery
Instructor

With the upgrade kit in hand I recently tipped up the manifold on my 04 CS only to discover everything under there was aluminum. Notwithstanding the confident assertions on this site I couldn't tell by looking with a scope. Even after I had reassembled the car I couldn't be sure from the outside of the engine. When I tried the same scope procedure on my son's 04 CS, it looked different back there, but there was some evidence of aluminum below the manifold, which struck us as a dubious gold test, but it tilted the probability that the pipes had been done slightly toward the positive.
Old 05-05-2018, 10:15 AM
cfiiman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just put your cellphone at the back of the motor and snap a few pics straight down, you will be able to see the bright aluminum tab of the pipes if they have been changed.
Old 05-05-2018, 10:05 PM
mtnrat
Drifting

Received 548 Likes on 346 Posts

This!
For the tenthousanth time read this page.
https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...es-a-z-30.html
Old 05-06-2018, 11:52 AM
Wisconsin Joe
Nordschleife Master

Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by tadink
... While they were in there it appears they also replaced the coolant TEEs....but I'm sure the replacement part was plastic at that time. They sald could not determine that from their part numbers...
The only replacement T is plastic. Same part that was in there before. The metal ones are either custom made or something that was the correct size and found as a "hey, this will work as a replacement" sort of deal. However, the T is not in the same environment as the pipes. I did my T at the same time as the pipes. While the pipes were weak and brittle, after 11 years and 104k miles, the T was in pretty good shape. I squeezed ot with a pair of pliers and hit it on the floor of the garage and it didn't break. OTOH, I could break pieces off the pipes with my thumb and forefinger. I'm pretty confident that the plastic T I used (factory part) will be fine for a while.

Re: class action lawsuit - PCNA was pretty ignorant of the details around the case, but they insisted that their responsibility ended with the settlement. Since I'm 4 years late to the party, ti is unlikely there will be anything that comes out of it. So my interpretation is that you are on your own at this point in 2018 relative to the coolant pipe settlement and PCNA's "responsibility" for extremely poor design by PAG.
Class action settlement is over and done with. Not saying I like it, but there are some pretty good reasons these sort of things have 'end dates'.

I asked the rep at PCNA if he has been hearing anything about the cylinder wall scoring issues - he said he has not, and could not find anything related to scoring in his database.....so they are pleading ignorant to that problem at this point. I remarked that PAG must feel some responsibility for ****ty engineering design since they made IMS bearings that explode 996 engines, plastic coolant pipes that don't stand the test of time, and now cylinder wall scoring that grenade engines.......stony silence at his end of the phone.
Of course they are pleading ignorance. Taking responsibility for this would cost them a lot of money. If they are collecting any data on it, they would keep that a secret. More likely, they aren't keeping any data on it, because that could easily be subpoenaed in any court action.

And don't forget 928 flex plate issues, 28mm driveshaft issues, 958 variocam issues, 958 transfer case issues, ect. The list is not short.
Old 05-07-2018, 11:42 AM
Dilberto
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Coolant pipes in aluminum was made available to all Porsche dealers in August, 2005. This was to satisfy widespread failures of the 2003-2004/5 Cayenne S and Turbo pipes.

Last edited by Dilberto; 05-09-2018 at 01:18 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: When did Aluminum Pipes appear? What year?