Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replaced Alum coolant pipes leaking (from a plastic part?)? Arg...

Old 05-04-2018, 01:06 PM
dhc905
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Wisconsin Joe
PET is the official Porsche parts catalog.

You can find it on the PCNA site.

https://www.porsche.com/usa/accessor...artscatalogue/
They sent me the PETs, and say that the parts needing replacement are: "3,28,4,14,13,18,16,20,21,19 and 20." Not super helpful given there are two different PETs with similar numbers, but from what I can gather, it's a bunch of tubes/parts coming out of the coolant filling tank. On the second page, I don't think I see anything that they want to change besides #20 and maybe #14 (those gaskets heading to the alum coolant tubes)...

Is this all stuff that would require removing the top-end? Is #20 on the second page the coolant-T's everyone is talking about?

Old 05-04-2018, 04:40 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Nope. Number 20 in the second pic is a vacuum line. The plastic T is in the 1st pic - #18. (hard to say since the circle goes right through the number - but it's the T shaped thing with some hoses coming off it that's circled. That is most likely where the leak is. I would doubt that there would be a leak if the plastic tubes have been replaced with aluminum already - but there was one aftermarket maker of aluminum tubes who had some QC problems early on. It isn't a big deal to take the intake manifold off a Cayenne V8. The fuel rail has to be removed from it, but that can be done leaving the rail hooked up and just tied up out of the way. Then the entire intake manifold with the throttle body is removed - just a bunch of screws and disconnecting some wiring. If it is removed - the gaskets from it to the heads should be replaced. Once that's done the actual source of the leak should be quite visible. If it is the under-manifold plumbing - it will be obvious. If - as we would hazard a guess - it's the T on the hoses on the rear of the engine, it's a PITA to replace, but it certainly can be done with the engine in place. Someone out there has sourced a metal replacement for that part - you might look over in the DIY forum and see if any info is there. Metal is the way to go - and cheaper than buying the hose/fittings from Porsche - and probably actually easier to replace since none of the hoses get replaced.
Old 05-04-2018, 05:48 PM
dhc905
Banned

Ok, just spoke with them and told them to go ahead with the coolant swap at $2,850; they're going to do all the gaskets and stuff as per our Cayenne-whisper in chief (Deilenberger), so I feel better about that, and maybe I'll try to push for a customer 15% discount on parts when I go in to pay.

Don't really like their written communication at all, but on the phone they're much more pleasant.
Old 05-04-2018, 09:47 PM
19psi
Burning Brakes

Received 146 Likes on 100 Posts

Isn't #20 in the 2nd pic the coolant vent line? If so, that would have been done with the coolant pipes and it is listed on the receipt shown in post 6.

Removing the "top end" is nothing more than the intake. It's not a big deal...on a scale of 1 to 10 I'd rate it a 3. A Porsche mechanic who works on these things every day should be able to remove it and reinstall it in 90 minutes total...and that's if he's having a really bad day. I bet most can pull it in 30 minutes and another 30 to reinstall it.

I can't see more than 5 hours labor and a few hundred in parts. Did they give you a price breakdown?
$2850 eh? I'm glad I do all my own wrenching!
Old 05-05-2018, 12:07 AM
dhc905
Banned

I didn't get the price breakdown, but I assume at $200/hr and 5 hours minimum, I figure that they're probably padding things a little to get to their $2,850; for work I'm not capable of doing myself (no tools, wife and new baby, etc) I'm happy paying someone a decent 20-30% margin on the work...after all we all have to eat. However, if they had charged me $4,500 to do the same work, then I'd be pretty pissed. I will also be pretty pissed if this turns into a rabbit hole.

I may or may not try to turn in my 15% discount on parts and labor on this one!

I told them the $1K they wanted to fix the rear hatch which is stuck shut is a no go, and that I'd buy my parts from Sonnen or Pelican and do it myself after the kiddos are asleep sometime next week.

P.S. I've also had a bit of fun with the 2018 Macan I've had a loaner for the past week

Originally Posted by 19psi
Isn't #20 in the 2nd pic the coolant vent line? If so, that would have been done with the coolant pipes and it is listed on the receipt shown in post 6.

Removing the "top end" is nothing more than the intake. It's not a big deal...on a scale of 1 to 10 I'd rate it a 3. A Porsche mechanic who works on these things every day should be able to remove it and reinstall it in 90 minutes total...and that's if he's having a really bad day. I bet most can pull it in 30 minutes and another 30 to reinstall it.

I can't see more than 5 hours labor and a few hundred in parts. Did they give you a price breakdown?
$2850 eh? I'm glad I do all my own wrenching!
Old 06-28-2021, 10:02 PM
exempt
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok. I found the coolant leak in my Cayenne and it is exactly what everyone has stated, the gasket/seal deteriorated and failed. I sanded and cleaned both the housing and the aluminum tube, and put a thin ring of high heat gasket on the edge of the aluminum tube followed by JB weld putty. The putty probably wasn't the best choice in hindsight. It's currently curing. While I was under the hood I noticed a cracked tube to the right of the coolant housing. Can anyone help me identify this part?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Replaced Alum coolant pipes leaking (from a plastic part?)? Arg...