Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Did You Do To (or With) Your Cayenne Today ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2019, 11:40 PM
RSbob
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

The black plate looks excellent against the grill.
Old 02-28-2019, 01:25 AM
kadn33
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by swisstony
Oh don't panic, I had it covered. Out of sight is an axle stand and the wheel shoved underneath the car .
Nice painting and cleaning job.

Should the jack stand fail would the wheel alone hold the dropping car's weight? Just curious because I never thought of it as a safety redundancy.
Old 03-01-2019, 12:53 AM
CAHRERA
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by RSbob
The black plate looks excellent against the grill.
Thanks, usually I wouldn't go with the plate on the front, but since it is black and from a far it blends in nicely.
Old 03-01-2019, 03:38 PM
Wisconsin Joe
Nordschleife Master

Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by kadn33
Should the jack stand fail would the wheel alone hold the dropping car's weight? Just curious because I never thought of it as a safety redundancy.
Yes. Think about it.

The wheel holds the car up, and supports the car quite well when it's attached to the hub doesn't it?

Even over big bumps.

Admittedly, the wheel on it's side has different load capabilities than upright, but not different enough to matter.

Using the wheel that was taken off as a safety stand (in addition to a real jack stand) is an old school technique.
Old 03-01-2019, 03:54 PM
Libast
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Wisconsin Joe
Yes. Think about it.

The wheel holds the car up, and supports the car quite well when it's attached to the hub doesn't it?

Even over big bumps.

Admittedly, the wheel on it's side has different load capabilities than upright, but not different enough to matter.

Using the wheel that was taken off as a safety stand (in addition to a real jack stand) is an old school technique.
If anything, the wheel will provide some time to extract yourself from underneath should everything else go pear shaped. Our Cayennes aren't that heavy to completely buckle the metal wheels, and even then the tire will provide some resistance- giving you time to get the heck out of dodge.
Old 03-02-2019, 12:28 AM
kadn33
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Wisconsin Joe
Yes. Think about it.
Even over big bumps.
Originally Posted by Libast
If anything, the wheel will provide some time to extract yourself from underneath should everything else go pear shaped. Our Cayennes aren't that heavy to completely buckle the metal wheels, and even then the tire will provide some resistance- giving you time to get the heck out of dodge.
The only time I raised a car on jack stands I used big wood chunks as a back-up and never thought of the wheels to be honest but your explanations makes absolute sense. I'm glad I asked because I will be replacing the front rotors soon and the wheels will be by the jack stands for safety

Back to the thread subject: I checked the plugs after roughly 1200 miles / 2000 km of replacing them because #5 and #6 wells were oil wet and swapped the coils with #7 and #8 in case they were failing: all the plug wells in the bank were dry and nice.
Also, tried to remove the mount of the drive shaft bearing support to clean it a bit for a closer inspection and to spin it manually and feel any play that may cause the whine I have while driving but the bolts were too tight. WD40 did not help neither and I'll need a longer bar to break the torque.

Old 03-05-2019, 06:11 PM
Travis
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Bought a car cover, but can't put it on since it's been raining non-stop. Oh well, at least I'll be ready when the skies clear and the pollen starts falling.
Old 03-05-2019, 06:20 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,139 Likes on 3,912 Posts

Originally Posted by Travis
Bought a car cover, but can't put it on since it's been raining non-stop. Oh well, at least I'll be ready when the skies clear and the pollen starts falling.
Living in the land of heavy, yellow, spring tree pollen, i can tell you it's much easier to clean pollen directly off the car (soap & water) than it is to get it out of the material of a car cover - at least that's the case when I compare washing the cars with trying to get it off the boat cover.
Old 03-06-2019, 12:07 PM
RSbob
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

Yesterday was headlight day. Replaced both Xeons with Philips from Germany. The only slightly difficult part was getting the dog collars properly located on the new bulbs. When accessing the bulbs, one of the freaken dog ear tabs broke off one of the doors but was able to successfully reattach using two part epoxy. Fingers crossed it will continue to hold. While the cases were open, inspected the wires, which looked fine, but preemptively coated what I could reach with clear electrical liquid goo. After reinserting the headlight assemblies I pulled the front side marker lights and cleaned the bulbs contacts and receiver contacts with electrical contact cleaner.

When end I fired her up, no errors or issues. Took her to dinner and enjoyed the new Xeons.
Old 03-09-2019, 08:50 PM
SoCal911t
Rennlist Member

Received 1,344 Likes on 659 Posts

FINALLY a day with no rain. Finished the LA Power Bluetooth install, modifed the cup holder.

And replaced the ashtray with the non-smoker cubby.

Old 03-09-2019, 09:16 PM
2009GTS
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCal911t
FINALLY a day with no rain. Finished the LA Power Bluetooth install, modifed the cup holder.

And replaced the ashtray with the non-smoker cubby.

I like the non-smoking cubby!

Where did you get that?

Old 03-09-2019, 10:12 PM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 267 Likes on 154 Posts

Finally got the 20" Sport Technos mounted with new Summer Tires and installed today.

https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...ted-specs.html
Old 03-10-2019, 12:55 AM
D3RP
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

Rolled to Inland NW PCA cars and coffee. Snow ski chariot tomorrow.
Old 03-10-2019, 03:31 PM
SoCal911t
Rennlist Member

Received 1,344 Likes on 659 Posts

Originally Posted by 2009GTS
I like the non-smoking cubby!

Where did you get that?
Ebay. I think I paid around $40.00
Old 03-10-2019, 07:57 PM
Cayenne955TT
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Installed new D1S Bulbs - wow, what a difference. The headlights actually work now, and it is amazing how much "cloudiness" was on the OEM bulbs. I'd recommend this to every Cayenne with original bulbs...

-Will

Quick Reply: What Did You Do To (or With) Your Cayenne Today ?