Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

660 miles over two days

Old 04-23-2018, 09:05 AM
Avec
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Default 660 miles over two days

Over the weekend I took my middle daughter to a cheer competition in Cleveland OH, from our home just outside of Indianapolis, Round trip of just over 660 miles between Friday night and Saturday evening. Made very good time, especially coming back. Averaged just over 80mph between Cleveland and Dayton OH. Hit a stretch of construction that slowed us down, but over all, fast and pleasant. Lots of police out.

My GTS ran flawlessly. I got a staggering 16.1 mpg over the trip, but did have some strange electrical issues, but nothing critical. I changed the oil on Wednesday in anticipation of the trip. With just under 160,000miles, it burns nearly no oil between changes. Oddly, on Friday just before leaving, the warning "Oil Pressure Sensor Fault" came on. It did not come back on after the next restart. Then, about 120 miles into the trip on Friday night, "Check Oil Level" warning. I was skeptical, because I had just checked it before leaving. I stopped and check - still spot on. It came on again the next day. And for some reason my radio powered itself off and on 3 or 4 times the first day, but not at all the second. Weird little gremlins that weren't enough to spoil the trip.
Old 04-23-2018, 11:29 PM
Dilberto
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Classic sign the battery is on the outs...
Old 04-24-2018, 12:07 AM
jeff spahn
Rennlist Member

Received 382 Likes on 220 Posts

Yep, your car should have lots of life left. I regularly drive mine 936 miles in a day in one shot, only stopping for gas. I see about 15-16mpg on mine. Have right around 190,000 on it now and doesn't burn or leak a drop. I did replace the valve cover gaskets this fall so that helps.
Old 04-24-2018, 09:01 AM
Avec
Racer

Originally Posted by Dilberto
Classic sign the battery is on the outs...
Battery is only a couple months old, but I will make sure it is holding a charge correctly.
Old 04-24-2018, 09:04 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,136 Likes on 3,909 Posts

Yea, they just eat miles at high speed don't they?

What year is your GTS?

Did you drive through a bunch of rain prior to the trip, at the beginning, or was the car sitting outside in the rain the night before the trip? These problems, if an older 955 or 957 gen Cayenne, and not an old battery, could be water around the wiring harnesses from clogged drains.
Old 04-24-2018, 09:43 AM
tomhartzell
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 57 Posts

Hopefully not the same thing, but I had my oil pump replaced last Dec for identical symptoms. I was driving in Utah on some backroads in November, and received both warnings -- but only when I was stopped with very low revs. Once they got above 1000rpm the warnings would stop and everything was fine. The oil level was fine when checked, but I changed the oil just in case -- a cheap fix if it worked.

Drove back to Boulder and got a warning saying there was no oil pressure when stopped for a light. Sent a note to one of the PCA gurus listed for Cayennes, who indicated it might be the oil pressure sensor -- but if not the sensor it was probably the oil pump. The dealer subsequently determined there were faults showing for both parts, so I elected to have both replaced. My P!g now has 122K on it; the parts were swapped at 112K, and it's been running like new ever since.
Old 04-25-2018, 08:31 AM
Avec
Racer

Originally Posted by Petza914
Yea, they just eat miles at high speed don't they?

What year is your GTS?

Did you drive through a bunch of rain prior to the trip, at the beginning, or was the car sitting outside in the rain the night before the trip? These problems, if an older 955 or 957 gen Cayenne, and not an old battery, could be water around the wiring harnesses from clogged drains.
2008 GTS
I don't recall specifically, but it had been raining off all week. Plus, my windshield washer tank is leaking. I know the fuse to the radio is on that side, and am curious if somehow the two are connected. I have had to fix the wiring issues on the driver's side due to clogged drains. I probably should check the passenger side for the same thing.

The oil pressure warning was that the sensor had failed, not low pressure, so I was less concerned, and after checking the level after the first warning, I wasn't concerned about that either.

In true gremlin fashion, I have not had eitherwarning since getting back.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 660 miles over two days