Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone running Michelin Pilot Sport 4S on a Cayenne?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2018, 04:16 PM
vtgt
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Anyone running Michelin Pilot Sport 4S on a Cayenne?

I see that the Michelin 4S comes in 295/35/21 xl 107y. I know it’s not the infamous N spec, but these should work.

It would seem the treadwear would be better vs the latitude. Anyone running these yet and can compare to latitudes or latitude 3s? People on the 911 forum seem to like them pretty good as well as tire rack.

https://www.michelinman.com/tire/mic...107-y--mo1-bsw
Old 04-21-2018, 08:05 PM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Received 184 Likes on 136 Posts

$400 each, 300 treadwear rating, 30k mile warranty, mo1 spec(good enough for me). I doubt you would get more than 15k out of them.
Assuming that you commit to 2 sets, and get a 50% pro-rate mileage warranty @ 50k thats about $2400 for two sets. Not bad if its a killer tire.

Problem Ive had in the past is that as soon as Discount or whoever catches on, they will start to try and get you away from the tire. Like- saying that it is not n rated, or look for something with a higher treadwear rating. Good thing is that there are few tires in this size that carry a higher tw rating, with the dws 06 being all I can think of. I know the grandparents like the dws tire but it isnt one I would be interested in.

295-35-21 is my favorite size for the Cayenne but it is a tough space
Old 04-21-2018, 10:51 PM
vtgt
Rennlist Member

Some people get 20k out of the latitude sports, so I would say you could get at least 25k or more out of these. Even just a little more treadwear with advanced technology is worth it. I believe you can buy from Costco or the like for around $1350 which is comparable to the latitudes. You can still get the original new latitudes for ~$1000 which I still think is pretty good. Hopefully this link works. I’ve used mostly latitudes over the years, maybe one set of Conti UHPs https://tires.costco.com/product.asp...b-30920c24f0e7

I read some Macan drivers have installed these with success. I’m just curious how they compare to the latitudes, I would think the tire technology is a little more advanced especially since these are considered to be between the MPSS and Cup 2s.

in terms of your dws comment, I really wanted to like them and still might consider them but the sidewall from my previous experience was just a little too soft for me to really like them. Part of that is that it’s an all-season tire. Even my pilot sport a/s on my audi is too soft for me, I will say it is a little more sporty than the DWS though.

all in all I’m happy to see another option. I’m willing to bet they get blessed at N spec at some point in the future not that it matters to me.
Old 04-22-2018, 07:10 PM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Received 184 Likes on 136 Posts

I think the mileage will boil down to how you drive. And more importantly, what size wheel you are running. With the 295-35-21 its usually the inner tread blocks that get worn while the rest of the tire has some meat left. I suppose its attributed to the weight and more aggressive alignment specs found on most euro vehicles. There is no way I could get more than 20k im sure but I do like these tires .
Old 05-02-2018, 09:25 AM
manhatton
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had them on for a few weeks now. I was attracted to the advertised 30k tread life at such a reasonable cost, without sacrificing performance.... We'll see how it goes. I certainly was not shelling out closer to $500/tire for the Dunlop or Conti's at 10-15k mi at best.

So far I can say that the reviews seem spot on as far as wet traction goes. I'm sensing a little steering wheel shimmy after having them on, but have not been back to attempt a rebalance... Could be shop sloppiness or tires are tough to balance, I'll find out soon. I will say they look great. And the hang over the wheel lip is just enough to protect the rim but not look ridiculous. BTW size is 295/35/21
Old 05-03-2018, 01:56 AM
vtgt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by manhatton
I've had them on for a few weeks now. I was attracted to the advertised 30k tread life at such a reasonable cost, without sacrificing performance.... We'll see how it goes. I certainly was not shelling out closer to $500/tire for the Dunlop or Conti's at 10-15k mi at best.

So far I can say that the reviews seem spot on as far as wet traction goes. I'm sensing a little steering wheel shimmy after having them on, but have not been back to attempt a rebalance... Could be shop sloppiness or tires are tough to balance, I'll find out soon. I will say they look great. And the hang over the wheel lip is just enough to protect the rim but not look ridiculous. BTW size is 295/35/21
thanks!

how’s dry performance? what tires are you coming from?
Old 05-27-2018, 04:37 PM
vtgt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by vtgt

thanks!

how’s dry performance? what tires are you coming from?
any comments on the above? Anyone wearing this tires on any gen Cayenne? Seem like a nice play, I guess this is better gam conti dws if you don’t need all-season. I read in slightly lower temps that these still hold up ok, but of course snow wouldn’t be good.

Random question. Is there a. Nice performing all-Season with some ok a/t capabilities? What type of tires were on the transyberia, maybe that would work if course size Ia different then 295/35/21. I wish I could get 295/40/21 or even 285 or 305 if that worked. Just a little more sidewalk would be nice.
Old 06-01-2018, 06:57 AM
manhatton
AutoX

any comments on the above? Anyone wearing this tires on any gen Cayenne? Seem like a nice play, I guess this is better gam conti dws if you don’t need all-season. I read in slightly lower temps that these still hold up ok, but of course snow wouldn’t be good.

Random question. Is there a. Nice performing all-Season with some ok a/t capabilities? What type of tires were on the transyberia, maybe that would work if course size Ia different then 295/35/21. I wish I could get 295/40/21 or even 285 or 305 if that worked. Just a little more sidewalk would be nice.
Dry grip is great. I don't recall what was on previously. They were near bald and purchased 18" OEM wheels and dedicated snows a week after picking up the car. When temps start getting into the 30s at night I'll be switching out again.
Old 06-07-2018, 02:36 AM
vtgt
Rennlist Member

Dry grip is great. I don't recall what was on previously. They were near bald and purchased 18" OEM wheels and dedicated snows a week after picking up the car. When temps start getting into the 30s at night I'll be switching out again.
makes sense, so are you happy with them? Where did you buy? Best deal I assume is costco but haven’t seen the prices yet.

id be interested to see if folks get any more miles out of these vs latitudes? I guess about 5-10k more depending on rotations and driving.
Old 06-07-2018, 12:08 PM
manhatton
AutoX

makes sense, so are you happy with them? Where did you buy? Best deal I assume is costco but haven’t seen the prices yet.

id be interested to see if folks get any more miles out of these vs latitudes? I guess about 5-10k more depending on rotations and driving.
They've been great. I bought through Town Fair, I think they were $383/tire.
Old 06-07-2018, 11:15 PM
vtgt
Rennlist Member

They've been great. I bought through Town Fair, I think they were $383/tire.
thanks, I’ll look into them!
Old 06-08-2018, 10:57 PM
LAPorscheGuy
Track Day

Anyone getting 20k miles out of latitude sports isn't having any fun in their Cayenne. haha.
Old 06-09-2018, 03:29 AM
vtgt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LAPorscheGuy
Anyone getting 20k miles out of latitude sports isn't having any fun in their Cayenne. haha.
lol true, we get about ~15-16k out of them. I would hope the new mich tech might yield 25k. Either way This is looking like the next tire for me.

I am hoping to see a direct comparison with the latitudes 3s tho, as I absolutely love the latitude sports I’ve had, just a little tiring replacing them around once a year, 1.5 years would be a little nicer assuming performance is on par
Old 09-13-2020, 11:42 AM
Norge911
Rennlist Member

Received 583 Likes on 390 Posts

On my 17 GTS is swapped from 295/35 -21 to Michelin sport 4 SUV and 285/40. Adds 0.8” to diameter but is similar to the 275/45 -20 which is also an Option

much quieter and softer rides. I also run 40 psi all the way around as I never drive with loaded trunk.
my camber is at 0.5deg and zero toe for optimal tire wear.
Old 09-13-2020, 01:57 PM
phatz
Three Wheelin'

Received 181 Likes on 139 Posts

I've had them on for a few weeks now... I'm sensing a little steering wheel shimmy
If they have not been ...get them force balanced
https://www.hunter.com/wheel-balance...-elite/#vision
https://www.hunter.com/find-equipment/

Quick Reply: Anyone running Michelin Pilot Sport 4S on a Cayenne?