Brake pads initial bite

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2018, 09:11 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,140 Likes on 3,913 Posts

Originally Posted by Miamirice
Just as a follow up here.......I had been living with the Hawk HPS pads for so long I didn’t know how much better the brakes in the Ceyenne could be. I wrote it off as life with a 5000 ibs truck. Installed Brembo pads (found a deal on them).

The 2 things I immediately notice now is the initial bite is there but even better is the response in the lightest of brake modulation. Before it was more of that feeling of when you are towing and a slight increase in brake pressure does little. Now it’s responsive to the slightest change in pressure. Don’t know if I had a bad batch of HPS pads but for anybody questioning the pads they have.....changing pads changed a Lot the performance of my vehicle.
I have the same impression as you. Changing from the HPS pads to the Hawk Ceramics on my wife's 997 was a big improvement both in initial bite and modulation capability. I had to use the HPS pads on my 928 as well because at the time they didn't make the Ceramic that would fit both the front & rear for balanced braking, but I don't notice any issues on that car - maybe because it's closer to 3,000 lbs, but so is the 997. On my pick-up, I just changed from the LTS to the Ceramic and like the Ceramics better in that application as well. That has become my new go-to pad for street performance and the lower dust is just an added bonus.

For those who aren't familiar with Hawk pads, the letter in the middle of the part # denotes which material the pads are made from so if you know the HPS or LTS part # for your car, you can check for the ceramic version just by changing the letter to a "Z". These are the pads and rotors I installed on my wife's 997 recently and am very pleased with the setup as a package.

Old 05-05-2018, 07:42 PM
95_993
Race Car

Received 501 Likes on 344 Posts

I just put on new front pads and rotors. Went with Pagid pads and Zimmerman rotors. After initial bedding, I am very happy with the results. Nice initial feel and progression. WAY better than the crap the PO put on...don't even know what the were, but they were weak.
Old 10-12-2020, 02:32 AM
malahhaor
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
I have the same impression as you. Changing from the HPS pads to the Hawk Ceramics on my wife's 997 was a big improvement both in initial bite and modulation capability. I had to use the HPS pads on my 928 as well because at the time they didn't make the Ceramic that would fit both the front & rear for balanced braking, but I don't notice any issues on that car - maybe because it's closer to 3,000 lbs, but so is the 997. On my pick-up, I just changed from the LTS to the Ceramic and like the Ceramics better in that application as well. That has become my new go-to pad for street performance and the lower dust is just an added bonus.

For those who aren't familiar with Hawk pads, the letter in the middle of the part # denotes which material the pads are made from so if you know the HPS or LTS part # for your car, you can check for the ceramic version just by changing the letter to a "Z". These are the pads and rotors I installed on my wife's 997 recently and am very pleased with the setup as a package.
Hi Petza
wanted to ask for a follow up. how are PC holding up?
I got Stoptech Z23 for my Cayenne GTS and I'm not thrilled with initial bite when cold. Unfortunately i have long starches of road and highway when going to and from work and cant keep them warm all the time. And GTS is my Winter car, so......
Wondering about hawk Z Performance Ceramics. i read HPS 5 isn't good at initial bite either.

Also will need a set for Carrera soon.
Old 10-12-2020, 08:14 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,140 Likes on 3,913 Posts

Holding up fine and my wife has about 10k miles on the 997 ones. I have more on the truck ones and no complaints with the Ceramics, but I also live in SC where it's not very cold so can't speak to that aspect of their performance.
Old 10-13-2020, 10:36 AM
Petrolhead_007
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

Can't beat oem pagids for good all around feel and performance. Yes they dust a lot but that's just life with german cars.

I'm pretty sure people working on R&D of the Cayenne had good reasons to pick this brake compound and the suppliers.
After years of blowing money on unnecessary parts and "upgrades", I found it is just much better to leave some things alone.
The following 2 users liked this post by Petrolhead_007:
Coach 11 (10-13-2020), Pillow (10-13-2020)
Old 10-13-2020, 11:42 AM
Pillow
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Petrolhead_007
After years of blowing money on unnecessary parts and "upgrades", I found it is just much better to leave some things alone.
Like Porsche of all manufactures wants to put donkey ===D parts on for OEM. "Come on man" LOL

If you want to improve something, then buy grippier tires as this is the main variable in performance on these Cayennes.

Old 10-13-2020, 03:09 PM
Blagave
Rennlist Member

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

I have purchased a few complete sets of rotors and brakes from Areltta. The owner is incredibly knowledgeable and says the pads and rotors are made by the same company as Porsche OEM brakes and rotors. He also has an alternative pad that creates less dust, but has a different feel. I thought the pricing for all (4) corners with all the extra parts was very reasonable at $700....shipping could get a bit expensive though.
http://www.alretta.com/clubtouaregro...fer/index.html
Old 10-13-2020, 04:36 PM
Brainz
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

I've posted this combo in the past as the best low dust/high friction pad combo I could find for 2004-2006 Cayennes with 350mm front brakes (955 Cayenne S and Turbo) : Front: ATE 604993 -- HH rated -- ~$135; Rear: Meyle D8978SC -- GG rated -- only ~$30!

I've been running the above combo for 18 months and have been very happy. I've tried the EBC Yellows (no bite), some Stop Techs (still not enough bite) and factory-spec Pagids (too dusty). The above combo provides factory levels of bite w/o the dust (though not entirely dust free).

If you Google "ATE HH Cayenne Pads" you'll find my more fulsome review.
Old 10-14-2020, 02:37 AM
malahhaor
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 93 Posts

Thank you very much.
I might go to GG or HH rated pads for the front on the GTS and leave PowerStop Z23 (FF i think) in the back.

Quick Reply: Brake pads initial bite