Sponsored by:

VIDEO: What is my engine doing?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2018, 08:33 PM
mungojerie
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VIDEO: What is my engine doing?

Hi everyone, I had an issue this week where the engine seemed to be trying really hard to cool itself -- sounded like a jet engine -- and for a few minutes the car wouldn't start. I have a brief video with sound here -- it's loud, then stopped: https://www.dropbox.com/s/yq8b3k3jv1...81816.mp4?dl=0

Here's the brief backstory:
  • One week prior, my "low coolant" alert came on. I pulled over immediately, checked, and yes it was below-the-minimum line. (Pretty sure I have a leak somewhere). I topped it off up to the MAX line.
  • On the day of the video, I had just done light highway driving to pick up dog & then kid from their respective schools. Not much idling. 45 min total driving. 50 degrees and dry outside.
  • All gauges in the car looked normal. Nothing hot.
  • No codes thrown.
  • I pulled into a parking lot for an errand. When I got out, I heard the sound you hear in the video, so I immediately popped the hood and took the video. The sound (fan?) stopped, which means it stopped within like 2 minutes of stopping the car.
At this point I did (slooowly) unscrew the coolant cap to check level. It was above MAX, which made sense to me if it's not leaking much and the coolant had expanded.

When I got back in the car after 5 minutes inside the store, the car wouldn't even try to start. So I waited about 1-2 more minutes. Tried again, and it tried to start but wouldn't turn. Waited another 1-2 minutes, and it started. Everything seems perfectly normal from there on out, no issues 4 days later.

Thoughts?? I'm the owner of the lemon you guys helped me discuss here, so I'm quick to worry about things.
Old 03-11-2018, 09:35 PM
v10rick
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 81 Posts

Yes it sounds like a fan with a bad bearing.
BTW the coolant tank level should only be checked when the engine is cold.
Old 03-17-2018, 05:25 PM
mungojerie
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks v10rick. Why would a fan with a bad bearing suddenly get loud, then stop, and why would the car not start for a few minutes?

Quick Reply: VIDEO: What is my engine doing?