Sponsored by:

Inspect coolant tee's?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2018, 08:46 PM
vandal968
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Inspect coolant tee's?

My CTT had the coolant pipes already replaced with aluminum before I got it. No idea about the coolant tees. Can they be inspected in-situ or does the manifold need to be removed to see if they're plastic or metal? Any tips?

cheers,
c
Old 03-10-2018, 10:16 PM
mtnrat
Drifting

Received 548 Likes on 346 Posts

You can see them from underneath. Might need a light/mirror. I can pretty much guarantee they are plastic. Even when they fail porsche replaces them with plastic again. The big risk is that when they go they will definitely soak the torque converter seal. See here for more info:
https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...es-a-z-30.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...crapola-2.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...-relieved.html
Old 03-12-2018, 02:06 PM
AO
Supercharged
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 33 Posts

Absolute worst job I have ever done on a car is replacing those T's. Next to impossible to reach. I don't think you will notice anything by inspecting them. They likely have NOT been address. My 05CTT was similar to yours - coolant pipes had been done, but not the T's They failed onbe morning as I was leaving the house. Luckily, they did not kill the TC seal. A week of scraped knuckles later, it was fixed. PITA for sure, all about a $35 part.
Old 03-15-2018, 01:22 AM
PTEC
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is no metal "T" update that I know of, definitely not from officially Porsche thats for sure. That being said I wouldn't worry about the T's damaging the torque converter seal. If they leak they're leaking outside the bell housing... how is that going to damage the torque converter seal? Its the pipes leaking that can cause damage to the seal. You could visually inspect the T's with a mirror and a flash light if you had the engine compartment trim pulled out. You would pretty much have to know what you're looking for but a trained eye could do it.
Old 03-15-2018, 04:24 AM
mtnrat
Drifting

Received 548 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by PTEC
There is no metal "T" update that I know of, definitely not from officially Porsche thats for sure. That being said I wouldn't worry about the T's damaging the torque converter seal. If they leak they're leaking outside the bell housing... how is that going to damage the torque converter seal? Its the pipes leaking that can cause damage to the seal. You could visually inspect the T's with a mirror and a flash light if you had the engine compartment trim pulled out. You would pretty much have to know what you're looking for but a trained eye could do it.
Nope Porsche does not make metal Ts. They are loath to admit that the plastic POS in there will fail. I got these from https://jagsthatrun.com/collections/cooling-systems . I then ordered the Ts and hoses from porsche and changed out the plastic ones for the metal ones.
, keeping the hoses orientation the same. As for coolant getting to the seal, don't be so sure, the coolant pipes are also outside of the bell housing.
Old 03-17-2018, 08:51 PM
PTEC
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mtnrat
As for coolant getting to the seal, don't be so sure, the coolant pipes are also outside of the bell housing.
That is true the pipes are outside of the bell housing but they sit in the valley of the engine, which drains into the bell housing. See the difference?
Old 07-21-2022, 10:52 AM
Crozzer
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts
Default Does this apply to 975 CTTS

Hi I’m trying to find out if this or a similar issue applies to my 2009 CTTS. So far I’ve not found an example in the forums referencing a 975, other than the threads usually reference 975 too, and the “before you buy..,” sticky warns this issue applies to 975.

but I can’t find an equivalent part to “the octopus” nor any examples of this issue in a 975.

Can 975 owners ignore the coolant tees issue?

Quick Reply: Inspect coolant tee's?