Sponsored by:

Best Catch Can 2018 Edition

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2018, 10:08 PM
ProgRockJunkie
Rennlist Member

Received 370 Likes on 247 Posts
Default Best Catch Can 2018 Edition

I just stupidly bumped a thread in another section, 944 or something by accident to ask this question. I'm too tired from the week to search coherently and there are too many threads referencing catch cans to choose from so I'm just starting a new thread. Mod can merge if they want.

What's the best solution for a guy that's not DIY? I just want to give my Indy an easy to install and easy to drain, check each oil change kinda thing. What's the easy peasy bestest option in 2018? Thanks in advance.
Old 02-03-2018, 12:42 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 126 Posts

There is a great write-up here: Cayenne 957 - Catch Can Install Doc V4
I'll leave the choice of brand up to others. There are many to choose from, at all different price points.

Cheers,
TomF
The following users liked this post:
lkraav (08-20-2022)
Old 02-03-2018, 06:51 PM
ProgRockJunkie
Rennlist Member

Received 370 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by TomF
There is a great write-up here: Cayenne 957 - Catch Can Install Doc V4
I'll leave the choice of brand up to others. There are many to choose from, at all different price points.

Cheers,
TomF
Wonder if the 957 process is similar enough to 955.
Old 02-03-2018, 07:28 PM
user 83838290
Banned

Received 471 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by icspres
Wonder if the 957 process is similar enough to 955.
99.99% the same
Old 02-03-2018, 09:54 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,140 Likes on 3,913 Posts

I'm going to install a Mishimoto brand one in my 957 Turbo S. Already have it in the garage - just need the car back from the widebody conversion.
Old 02-03-2018, 11:24 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 126 Posts

^^+1^^ the Mishimoto can seems like a really well-engineered piece.

Cheers,
TomF
Old 02-04-2018, 01:37 PM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I did the 034 motorsports can as it was reasonably priced and had the 1" inlet/outlets you want. I did stuff some stainless steel brillo pad material into the can to give the oil something more to condense on.

Last edited by hahnmgh63; 07-01-2018 at 11:40 AM.
Old 02-05-2018, 10:40 PM
Bosty
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I completed this a couple months ago.

The install was based off advice I read from Mr Haney.
Used this diagram....^

Purchased the dual catch can setup from Radium Auto as per Mr Haney. Beautiful pieces. Super high quality!
http://www.radiumauto.com/Universal-...-Can-P189.aspx

Install was fairly straightforward. I counter sunk the catchcans into the beauty covers. These pics were taken with the beauty covers not fully installed.
For the drains i ran them to the lower control arms. The two drains can be opened and closed through ball valves. Put a small bucket under the truck. Pop the hood and drain the cans. Super easy! Very happy with the setup.
Old 06-30-2018, 04:08 PM
Joefus
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bosty - which can collects the most oil?

Last edited by Joefus; 07-04-2018 at 06:35 PM.
Old 07-01-2018, 10:45 PM
Dilberto
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

No way the one-way check valve be replaced with a small CC?
Old 07-05-2018, 03:21 PM
CaptainGSR
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Question

On a non-turbo 957 with the 4.8l DFI V8, could one simply install a catch can inline on the top hose that links the passenger air/oil separator to the intake manifold?
It seems like a fairly easy install (compared to the turbo plumbing).
Here is the line i am referring to:

(I found this pic on youtube, my engine is not that dirty:-)

Old 07-07-2018, 10:57 AM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Received 183 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptainGSR
On a non-turbo 957 with the 4.8l DFI V8, could one simply install a catch can inline on the top hose that links the passenger air/oil separator to the intake manifold?
It seems like a fairly easy install (compared to the turbo plumbing).
Here is the line i am referring to:

(I found this pic on youtube, my engine is not that dirty:-)

Yes.

I have edited this post because I did not take the time to read properly. Captain was clear that his was not a turbo. I am not particularly familiar with the non-turbo plumbing but if this is the only location that the non-turbo ingests CC gasses, this would be correct.

Last edited by J'sWorld; 07-25-2018 at 05:29 PM.
The following users liked this post:
PourBoi-Jay (03-23-2022)
Old 07-25-2018, 02:42 PM
Joefus
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi, Can someone clarify the connections for me in Bosty's photographs?
I believe the catch can connections are "in" on top and "out" on the side.
I understand the piping of the front catch can - vapour comes out of AOS, moves through the check valve and down the vent pipe toward the intercooler and turbo piping.
In that case catch can "in" would connect to the check valve lower connection and catch can "out" further down on the vent line pipe.

The back catch can (the one closer to the bulkhead) is the one I need clarification on.
Is the vapour moving from the AOS through the check valve and back into the intake manifold to be burnt in the engine? This seems to be the case based on the plumbing I see in the pictures.

In that case catch can "in" would connect to the check valve and catch can "out" to the inlet manifold. - This seems to be what I see in the photos.

Can someone confirm that this is correct - I have 2 mishimoto cans I want to connect - but I don't want to put them in back to front.
Can anyone point to an article on how the check valve works so I can get this clear in my head?

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-25-2018, 05:38 PM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Joefus
Hi, Can someone clarify the connections for me in Bosty's photographs?
I believe the catch can connections are "in" on top and "out" on the side.
I understand the piping of the front catch can - vapour comes out of AOS, moves through the check valve and down the vent pipe toward the intercooler and turbo piping.
In that case catch can "in" would connect to the check valve lower connection and catch can "out" further down on the vent line pipe.

The back catch can (the one closer to the bulkhead) is the one I need clarification on.
Is the vapour moving from the AOS through the check valve and back into the intake manifold to be burnt in the engine? This seems to be the case based on the plumbing I see in the pictures.

In that case catch can "in" would connect to the check valve and catch can "out" to the inlet manifold. - This seems to be what I see in the photos.

Can someone confirm that this is correct - I have 2 mishimoto cans I want to connect - but I don't want to put them in back to front.
Can anyone point to an article on how the check valve works so I can get this clear in my head?

Thanks in advance.
The check valve is actually two check valves opposing each other. When the intake manifold, post throttle body, is under pressure the check valve(s) permit gasses from the AOS to go to the drivers intake turbo only. When the intake manifold is in vacuum, The check valve(s) permit the gasses from the AOS to go to the Intake manifold post throttle body only. There is somewhat of a changeover phase in there but you shouldn't worry about that. Most CC's work in one direction only. This may be specific to your particular can. On my Radium can, the top is in and the side is out. I do not have a second can for the case of Vacuum as the majority of blow by will be while in boost.
Old 07-25-2018, 05:40 PM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Bosty

I completed this a couple months ago.

The install was based off advice I read from Mr Haney.
Used this diagram....^

Purchased the dual catch can setup from Radium Auto as per Mr Haney. Beautiful pieces. Super high quality!
http://www.radiumauto.com/Universal-...-Can-P189.aspx

Install was fairly straightforward. I counter sunk the catchcans into the beauty covers. These pics were taken with the beauty covers not fully installed.
For the drains i ran them to the lower control arms. The two drains can be opened and closed through ball valves. Put a small bucket under the truck. Pop the hood and drain the cans. Super easy! Very happy with the setup.
Very curious as to how much oil the post throttle body can collects as well Bosty.

Quick Reply: Best Catch Can 2018 Edition