Sponsored by:

Manual GTS

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2017, 11:07 AM
Hams911
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Manual GTS

Saw this browsing CL today due to rarity of the manual thought I would put up a link. No affiliation to the dealer and I’m not sure of their reviews etc but looks like a clean car. Maybe slightly overpriced but still cool to see these pigs with a stick.

https://boston.craigslist.org/ctd/d/...426910233.html
Old 12-16-2017, 01:12 PM
v10rick
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 81 Posts

Thanks!

PDCC is a plus but even with this option the price is not realistic. With close to 80K mi the mid $20K range would be a good deal.

The panoramic roof is a big negative IMO.
Old 12-16-2017, 11:54 PM
jeff spahn
Rennlist Member

Received 382 Likes on 220 Posts

Too bad it is only RWD. Wonder what happened to the transfer case. Of course, it could just be the person putting in the information has no idea what they are doing.
Old 12-17-2017, 12:18 AM
Kirill
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by jeff spahn
Too bad it is only RWD. Wonder what happened to the transfer case. Of course, it could just be the person putting in the information has no idea what they are doing.
It also has "Tachometer" as a selling point and "Load Bearing Exterior Rack" so yea... seller has no clue.
Old 12-17-2017, 09:48 AM
jeff spahn
Rennlist Member

Received 382 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by Kirill
It also has "Tachometer" as a selling point and "Load Bearing Exterior Rack" so yea... seller has no clue.
But, does it have the exclusive space saver spare?
Old 12-17-2017, 07:50 PM
PTEC
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Coming from someone who has driven a few of these, just forget they exist. Its not what you think. The clutch pedal and shifter feel are awful, its like shifting a pick up truck.
Old 12-17-2017, 08:42 PM
v10rick
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 81 Posts

Comparing the Cayenne GTS with my 2001 Dodge Viper GTS, using the same Borg-Warner T-56 transmission as Corvette and a Dodge Challenger 392 with the Tremec TR-6060 also used by Corvette, Ford and others the shifting feels about the same.

It would be interesting to compare the Cayenne with an aftermarket shifter mechanism. This was attempted by one forum poster, but he could not remove the shift ****...end of story.
Old 12-17-2017, 11:26 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,140 Likes on 3,913 Posts

Originally Posted by v10rick
Comparing the Cayenne GTS with my 2001 Dodge Viper GTS, using the same Borg-Warner T-56 transmission as Corvette and a Dodge Challenger 392 with the Tremec TR-6060 also used by Corvette, Ford and others the shifting feels about the same.

It would be interesting to compare the Cayenne with an aftermarket shifter mechanism. This was attempted by one forum poster, but he could not remove the shift ****...end of story.
If the shift **** is on there like the 997s it's a combination of turning the ring that secures the shift boot to the bottom of the **** 90 degrees then turning the **** 90 degrees the other way. It seems impossible until you have the key to the puzzle, then there's nothing to it.

It's tough to find a GTS that looks that clean with PDCC. I'd say it will sell at that number. I almost bought a 957 GTS just to have the MT, but in the end the extra 150 HP of the Turbo S won out and I found one with only 26,000 miles.
Old 12-18-2017, 02:31 AM
Rossi
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by PTEC
Coming from someone who has driven a few of these, just forget they exist. Its not what you think. The clutch pedal and shifter feel are awful, its like shifting a pick up truck.
Absolute non-sense, the manual 957 GTS is fantastic, especially if driven in the “sport” mode. An absolute blast. The shifts are crisp, steering feel is amazing and the throttle response is intoxicating. There is nothing like it. Exceptional SUV, I have one, and there is nothing out there like it. It really drives like a sports car. It took me little bit of time to get comfortable with it, but once you master it, so much fun. I would disregard any comments from anyone whom just test-drove one, “drove few of these”. If you read around this forum, majority of owners of manual GTS are not letting them go. So special.

Last edited by Rossi; 12-18-2017 at 02:47 AM.
Old 12-19-2017, 06:14 PM
curtsr
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by PTEC
Originally Posted by Rossi
Absolute non-sense, the manual 957 GTS is fantastic, especially if driven in the “sport” mode. An absolute blast. The shifts are crisp, steering feel is amazing and the throttle response is intoxicating. There is nothing like it. Exceptional SUV, I have one, and there is nothing out there like it. It really drives like a sports car. It took me little bit of time to get comfortable with it, but once you master it, so much fun. I would disregard any comments from anyone whom just test-drove one, “drove few of these”. If you read around this forum, majority of owners of manual GTS are not letting them go. So special.
I'm with Rossi and disagree with PTEC. I own one too- as well as a 955 CTT-S- and as much as they are the same they are very different at the same time. Kinda like how Americans and the English both speak English but it doesn't quite sound the same.
I'll say that they are not for everyone with the steeper gearing (4.10 vs 3.73) because you are in first (if you even bother with first) very briefly and also turn about 800 rpm higher at highway speeds. I see in the city in my CTT-S what I see on the highway with my GTS.
If its a road trip, towing snowmobiles or stoplight bullying I'm in the CTT-S. If it's around town or if I just want to enjoy the sheer pleasure of driving and be more involved in the process, it's the GTS.

With US numbers of 153 and 183 per year IIRC they are a small production percentage and that echoes the percentage of (Porsche) SUV owners that want to roll their own.
Old 12-20-2017, 01:58 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 486 Likes on 324 Posts

I drove one. Wasn't impressed. Shifting feel just wasn't there. Power was very underwhelming. Realize that I live at altitude, so the NA V8 in the GTS takes a big hit compared to the turbo. Ended up with my CTTS, really happy with it.
Old 12-20-2017, 07:57 PM
PTEC
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Rossi

Struck a nerve did I? You're obviously very passionate about yours. I PDI'ed 2 of these and have serviced at least 2 more and they're nothing special. Rare maybe but special? No.
Old 12-20-2017, 10:12 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

I am mad at Porsche for not making a manual Turbo model. I have been researching to build such a car myself... if I pull the trigger you can be sure I will start a build thread. Does anyone know if someone has blazed this trail already of converting a turbo model to a manual transmission?
Old 12-21-2017, 01:52 PM
PTEC
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by nodoors
I am mad at Porsche for not making a manual Turbo model. I have been researching to build such a car myself... if I pull the trigger you can be sure I will start a build thread. Does anyone know if someone has blazed this trail already of converting a turbo model to a manual transmission?
Porsche builds anything they think they can sell. They took a run at a manual Cayenne and it didn't sell so they gave up. Personally I would consider converting a Turbo to a manual transmission to be a huge waste of time and energy. Why do you want to row gears in a 4500 lb grocery getter?
Old 12-21-2017, 05:02 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Because I just do. Automatics are boring. Other than the Cayenne, the only other automatic transmission vehicle in my garages would be my wife's SUV and I plan to keep it that way. From motorcycles to classic trucks I just like rowing the gears!

Quick Reply: Manual GTS