Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why should I get a 08 Cayenne turbo over the 08 Range Rover Supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2017, 10:13 AM
MR Turco
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 28 Posts

If you find the right vehicle it shouldn't sway you but be warned if you find one with the non-smoking package you won't have a convenient power outlet for the driver. There are two under the glove back near the passenger kick panel and two behind the arm rest for the rear passengers. minor annoyance but it took me some time to figure out why i didn't have one.
Old 12-06-2017, 11:52 AM
vandal968
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, I have the same package, it's idiotic that you give up the power port if you're unwilling to smoke. The two in the passenger footwell are so far back that they're impossible to reach from the driver's seat and nearly impossible to reach from the passenger seat as well. I bought a nice Anker 3-port USB charger that I plugged into the rear outlet and some good quality 4' USB cables from Amazon. The Anker charger matches the interior very well, and I routed the cables between the seats and hump for transmission tunnel. Works great and actually probably looks better than it would to have cords snaking out of the ashtray. The ashtray delete is wide enough that it's the perfect holder for my cell phone laying sideways.

cheeers,
c
Old 12-06-2017, 04:19 PM
hinchcliffe
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Ok, I'm now in the Cayenne camp. They gave me a good chunk for the X5 so I only need a little to put on top for what I want.

But which direction should I go

​​​​​​'06 Turbo
'06 Turbo S (harder to find)
'08 Turbo

The 08 has the upgrade motor size and HP but the older S has more horsies but no PDCC
Old 12-06-2017, 04:49 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,140 Likes on 3,913 Posts

Originally Posted by hinchcliffe
Ok, I'm now in the Cayenne camp. They gave me a good chunk for the X5 so I only need a little to put on top for what I want.

But which direction should I go

​​​​​​'06 Turbo
'06 Turbo S (harder to find)
'08 Turbo

The 08 has the upgrade motor size and HP but the older S has more horsies but no PDCC
I like the look of the facelifted 957 quite a bit more than the 955, which looks more dated to me, even though they're very similar - in fact, the 957 is my favorite generation of all of them and why I bought that one myself. With a tune (FVD, Fabspeed, EVOMS, etc} you could bring that 08 up to HP and Torque figures that are actually higher than either the 06TTS or 09TTS, so my vote is for the 08 with PDCC, as PDCC is the game changer with respect to handling on these.
​​​
Old 12-06-2017, 05:05 PM
981S2013
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
I like the look of the facelifted 957 quite a bit more than the 955, which looks more dated to me, even though they're very similar - in fact, the 957 is my favorite generation of all of them and why I bought that one myself. With a tune (FVD, Fabspeed, EVOMS, etc} you could bring that 08 up to HP and Torque figures that are actually higher than either the 06TTS or 09TTS, so my vote is for the 08 with PDCC, as PDCC is the game changer with respect to handling on these.
​​​
Second that. I own a 2008 GTS with PDCC (and a stick) and the PDCC is a game changer... I'd look for a model with that before all else.

For Turbo -v- GTS or S, I like the non-turbo 4.8 because I can't get in as much trouble and it is a little less complex to manage and maintain. Compared to all other models, the GTS is lower by 10mm, so it handles and looks even better. And the blacked out treatment of what otherwise is chrome makes the GTS even that much better looking. So I'd recommend considering a GTS instead of the Turbo or S or TurboS.

For the model years, the PCM in 2009 is much better than what was offered in 2008 and before, but upgrading to an aftermarket head unit isn't as tough as it used to be.
Old 12-06-2017, 09:17 PM
prosled8
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are going to do it, turbo pdcc is the way to go. I would take pdcc over the 20 extra hp on the S. The S has hideously expensive rotors and requires 20" wheels. The '08 can go down to an 18" rim still, which may or may not matter to you. I prefer the updated look, though wish I had gone for an '09 to get integrated Bluetooth. As mentioned, this can be done on the older models starting around $1000. Fast, comfortable and solid, they are impressive. If you are going to tow you need the package installed with the tow computer module. Adding this later is spendy too.

Turbos come loaded, they all have 4 heated seats, no matter the year. They also come with air suspension standard, and you definitely want it. The standard full leather dash and doors is worlds better than the plastic on most lesser models. Living in a rural area, I like the collapsible spare under the rear cargo deck. See if you can just drive one or two local to you before travelling, good references will help you choose the right one. I found a 68k mile 08 turbo with pdcc last year at this time for $25k. Good Luck in the search!
Old 12-08-2017, 09:31 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by vandal968
I originally wanted a car without the air suspension since I've heard expensive maintenance stories. After having it for a few months, I would not buy a Cayenne without it. It's awesome, I use it almost every day.

cheers,
c
+1+1 had 2, the D I had did not, now the H I have has and I will never go without again, make the car SOOO flexible

Quick Reply: Why should I get a 08 Cayenne turbo over the 08 Range Rover Supercharger