Sponsored by:

Left Turns "popping" Sound

Old 10-30-2017, 11:17 PM
killer2001
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Left Turns "popping" Sound

2008 Cayenne Turbo

So I've been trying to chase this issue for a couple weeks now. Basically at random, at any speed, when I'm taking a left turn I will hear a distinct loud popping sound in the front right suspension area. After the sound is heard I will get the System Chassis Warning message on the instrument cluster. If I park the car, turn the car off and pull the key out and restart the car, the error will no longer exist.

I went to scan for codes using the ICarScan X431 Launch EZDiag app and it did not pull up any DTCs.

One thing to note is when using the scan tool it says my car is not equipped with PDCC when in fact it is. So obviously this could be potentially where the error code is.

Is there something I am missing to get the PDCC system to show up on the scan tool?
Old 10-31-2017, 08:45 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,124 Likes on 3,900 Posts

How's the fluid level in your PDCC reservoir? Also, inspect the braided hoses and look for any dark spots.

​​​​​​Without PDCC, I'd say you have a worn CV joint, bad or loose wheel bearing, worn control arm bushing, or a loose suspension component on the right front, but with PDCC there are now additional things to look into.
Old 10-31-2017, 01:46 PM
killer2001
Advanced

Fluid level hasn't moved at all. No leaks. I will note that I had a rear PDCC line leak awhile back and had to replace the rear lines. But I am almost certain this issue has existed even before then, but seems more frequent at this stage. Again, its totally random. It seems every time I try to take hard left turns to get it to happen it never does it. But then randomly when I casually make a left out of my neighborhood, it'll occur. There is no reason behind it, I can take that same turn 5 more times without issue.

It has come to my attention that there is a bleed procedure with the PDCC I never followed through with. Is this procedure possible with the EZDiag app or will I have to get something else? I feel like its PDCC but need to be able to diagnose it.

edit:

On the other hand I do question if its PDCC related simply on the fact that it only happens on left turns, never right turns. I would think if it was a PDCC issue it would happen with turning either way, which leads me more to believe its a front right suspension component of some sort where the sound is originating from.
Old 10-31-2017, 02:29 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,124 Likes on 3,900 Posts

My Durametric Pro will not access the bleed procedure / activations for PDCC on my '09 Turbo S so you might need an actual PIWIS for that, unless your '08 os different.
Old 10-31-2017, 04:47 PM
dr914
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

bad balljoint in one of the control arms?
Old 11-01-2017, 03:41 PM
killer2001
Advanced

You'd think, but once it makes the "pop" and I get the system error message, it won't do it again. Made a bunch of left turns today and nothing. I really can't seem to get the problem to occur on my own doing, it has a mind of its own.
Old 11-04-2017, 01:01 PM
Uncle Jimmy
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As with front-wheel driven vehicles, the front wheel has a drive shaft that sends the power to the wheels. This shaft is sealed with a rubber boot and is filled with grease. As it goes bad, it starts to make a popping sound. If the grease heats up to a high enough temperature, it will coat the knuckle (the parts that turn). You will have to get the vehicle lifted with wheels off of the ground have it in drive and turn the wheel or remove the boot from the shaft to check the u-joint. I know this from owning and working on front-wheel driven vehicles. Hopefully someone else will soon chime in with more advice for you.

Trending Topics

Old 11-05-2017, 08:02 PM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Received 183 Likes on 135 Posts

The wheel bearing seal has magnets integrated into the back for the wheel speed sensor to read wheel speed. Maybe the bearing is going out.
Old 11-06-2017, 10:35 PM
killer2001
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mr. Haney
The wheel bearing seal has magnets integrated into the back for the wheel speed sensor to read wheel speed. Maybe the bearing is going out.
But would this cause it to pop up with the system chassis warning error message but then store no code in the ECU? I was really hoping I could hook up the ICarScan and it tell me what the problem is!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Left Turns "popping" Sound