Dash noise related to A/C

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2017, 06:40 PM
Scott Blomberg
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Dash noise related to A/C

My first post!
I have a 2003 Cayenne Turbo and just love it. Ever since I've owned it (2 years), there is a sound coming from the dash that I always thought sounded like a cd drive in a computer that is having trouble loading a cd. It is not constant, but happens often. It has an aftermarket Pioneer stereo w navigation/bluetooth/cd. I've always thought that the sound was coming from the stereo. It has started to bug me more lately, and I considered getting a different stereo. To make sure that was the problem, I pulled the fuse for the stereo to cut power to it, but the noise continued. I then pulled the fuse (#23 on right dash) that controls the air conditioning which cut all power to the internal temperature control. The noise stopped when I pulled that fuse. The noise is not the blower motor, it is coming from the middle of the dash, very near the stereo but is related to the temperature control mechanisms. Any ideas???
Old 10-28-2017, 07:40 PM
v10rick
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 81 Posts

Common problem, sometimes described as a frog in the dash. My 04S made the sound and apparently fixed under warranty by the previous owner, several times.

Due to the amount of work required to make it go away, it was ignored by me.

Turn up that stereo to mask the sound or wear earplugs.
Old 10-30-2017, 03:54 PM
bekks
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Kind of an intermittent clicking sound right? It is the actuators that open/close the flaps that control where the air is blowing and what temperature is to mix the air at.
There are 4 or 5 actuators and a couple of them are relatively easy to replace. A couple are a lot of work. Have you noticed if any of your vents don't work properly? Floor, dash, defrost, temperature?
Old 04-27-2018, 07:12 PM
2004CayenneSinBK
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is very interesting.. My floor vents don't seem to work, and I hear that sound. I will look for info on the actuators.
Old 04-27-2018, 07:17 PM
bekks
Advanced

I have a fairly quick and easy solution for you. Climb under the driver's side (I'm assuming this is left hand drive) and find the actuator, it is the lowest and easiest one to get to. Unplug it and unscrew it. Don't worry about breaking it as it's garbage. Once it is out, you can move the flap with your finger. Position it so that it is open and just leave it that way for the rest of the vehicle's life. Don't worry about buying a new actuator.
Old 04-27-2018, 09:23 PM
2004CayenneSinBK
Cruisin'

Wow! What a great solution! Will this stop that groggy sound in that part once it's out? My other vents rf very well!!
Old 04-27-2018, 09:25 PM
bekks
Advanced

Yes, it will stop the clicking. But, I will caution that there may be other actuators acting up even if you think that they are all working five.
Old 04-27-2018, 09:28 PM
2004CayenneSinBK
Cruisin'

I've been reading the forums and will search out a few ways to address them without spending a fortune at the dealership.
if I can get heat to my foot wells, I'll be happy and just turn up the volume for now. :-)
Old 04-27-2018, 09:28 PM
2004CayenneSinBK
Cruisin'

Thank you bekks!!!����
Old 04-27-2018, 11:40 PM
2004CayenneSinBK
Cruisin'

Thank you bekks!!!👍🏽
The following users liked this post:
Thoms (08-11-2023)
Old 05-03-2018, 04:02 PM
Scott Blomberg
4th Gear

Default Thank you!

I had hiven up on doing anything about the noise before your message bekks. Thank you! The actuator acting up was under my glove box, I disconnected the white plastic rod that was attempting to open the flap and manually set it in a half open position and just taped it in place like that. Working fine now with no noise.
Old 05-05-2018, 11:17 AM
mikeymikey
Instructor

Originally Posted by Scott Blomberg
I had hiven up on doing anything about the noise before your message bekks. Thank you! The actuator acting up was under my glove box, I disconnected the white plastic rod that was attempting to open the flap and manually set it in a half open position and just taped it in place like that. Working fine now with no noise.
Are you referring to the white plastic rod in the attached video? It controls the fresh air intake and suppose to shut off the flap when car is turned off or recirc mode is on. Was it moving back and forth like in the video?
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_2310.mov (4.90 MB, 805 views)
File Type: mov
file1.mov (634.5 KB, 281 views)
Old 05-05-2018, 02:20 PM
Rod Croskery
Instructor

On the older Cayennes the AC actuators usually aren't actually broken. The grease gets hard in them and they will no longer work. They are easy enough to re-lubricate once they are out of the car, but I chose to install a set from a 2008 I found on eBay. The newer actuators look less sturdy* than the 2003 models, but they work better over the long term.

To service a 2003 AC actuator: Pry the two halves of the plastic case loose. Remove the loose parts. Clean off the grease. Re-lubricate with something lighter than axle grease. With a small 12v DC power source, touch terminals 1 and 2 (off by themselves) to actuate the motor.
Reverse to reverse. Once you are sure it works properly, reassemble the case and re-install. Tease the white arm into the proper position for installation by looking at the diagram in the service manual and moving the arm with the 12v power supply until it is properly aligned.

The bench work is the easy part of the process. The rest is pure hell. You will need a set of long torx screwdrivers, tiny ratchets, etc. Getting the plates which hold the actuators out is possible, but difficult.

https://www.renntech.org/forums/topi...comment-281193

*They won't stay together on the bench in half their case while you play with them with the 12v current, the way the 2003's will, though.
Old 05-05-2018, 08:51 PM
mikeymikey
Instructor

Originally Posted by Rod Croskery
On the older Cayennes the AC actuators usually aren't actually broken. The grease gets hard in them and they will no longer work. They are easy enough to re-lubricate once they are out of the car, but I chose to install a set from a 2008 I found on eBay. The newer actuators look less sturdy* than the 2003 models, but they work better over the long term.

To service a 2003 AC actuator: Pry the two halves of the plastic case loose. Remove the loose parts. Clean off the grease. Re-lubricate with something lighter than axle grease. With a small 12v DC power source, touch terminals 1 and 2 (off by themselves) to actuate the motor.
Reverse to reverse. Once you are sure it works properly, reassemble the case and re-install. Tease the white arm into the proper position for installation by looking at the diagram in the service manual and moving the arm with the 12v power supply until it is properly aligned.

The bench work is the easy part of the process. The rest is pure hell. You will need a set of long torx screwdrivers, tiny ratchets, etc. Getting the plates which hold the actuators out is possible, but difficult.

https://www.renntech.org/forums/topi...comment-281193

*They won't stay together on the bench in half their case while you play with them with the 12v current, the way the 2003's will, though.
Thx for the tips.
The behavior of the white rod where it keeps fluctuating in the video that I posted two messages earlier, is that a failing actuator?
Old 05-05-2018, 11:46 PM
Scott Blomberg
4th Gear

Default White rod

The white rod on my picture was connected to another white rod in a kind of ball and socket joint which I disconnected. The opening/closing of the flap was not working, just stuck in a closed position. So I moved the white rod to adjust that in a mid-open position and just taped it in that place. The noise is gone and things seem to be working fine now. Not sure if I can recommend this solution to others, but I'm happy with how it is right now.

Quick Reply: Dash noise related to A/C