Sponsored by:

2004 CAYENNE TURBO VALVE COVERS LEAKING! I

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2017, 06:02 PM
Joseph Caruso
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 CAYENNE TURBO VALVE COVERS LEAKING! I

Hi, I JUST BOUGHT A CAYENNE TURBO AND I HAD IT CHECKED OUT BY PORSCHE BEFORE I BOUGHT IT. AFTER A WEEK I SMELL OIL ON THE EXHAUST AND IM THINKING 100% VALVE COVER GASKETS. I LOOKED ON LINE TO SEE HOW HARD IT IS AND CANT FIND ONE VIDEO SHOWING IT. CAN ANYONE GIVE ME A CLUE IF ITS A BITCH OR AVERAGE JOB TO DO? COULD IT BE THE TURBOS LEAKING? IM LOOKING IF ANYONE HAD THE PARTS CATALOG ONLINE THEY CAN SEND ME TO SEE WHAT PARTS I NEED AND TO SEE ALL THE TURBO PARTS ALSO. IF YOU CAN GIVE ME ANY ADVICE I WOULD APPRECIATE IT! I LOVE THE TRUCK SO FAR BUT HAVE TO FIX THE LITTLE THINGS FIRST! ALSO I WAS TOLD HE PUT A NEW VALVE BODY IN IT AND I NOTICE WHEN I DONT USE FOR A DAY OR MORE THE TRANNY REVERSE SEEMS TO SLIP FOR A LITTLE THEN ITS GOOD AS SHE WARMS UP! WHAT AM I LOOKING AT? CAN IT BE LOW ON FLUID? ANY THOUGHTS ? JOE FROM NEW YORK.....
Old 10-22-2017, 06:20 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Hi Joe,

Welcome to the Cayenne forum.

Two suggestions:

1. Don't send messages in ALL CAPS - not only is it difficult to read, it also looks like you're yelling, and many people will simply ignore your message/posting.

2. Use some paragraph breaks. If you're asking questions about different systems in the car (ie - engine, transmission, etc.) it's good to break them out into separate paragraphs, makes it easier for people to give an intelligent answer without having to repeat all that you've said.

Now - what were your questions?
Old 10-22-2017, 08:17 PM
gbstu
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Took me about 7 hours to do both sides on my old 05 turbo, not hard, just very tedious. I was careful and still broke a plastic vent line.

Cant imagine what the dealer would charge!!
Old 10-22-2017, 10:17 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

BTW - one BIG warning if you DIY on the valve covers.

There is a timing device attached to the rear of the camshafts, one on each side. It's what passes by the camshaft position sensor and causes the sensor to emit a pulse that's used by the engine control unit to time the engine.

It's made of spindly fingers with an L bend in the end of them.

It is apparently VERY easy to break one of the fingers off when removing or installing the valve covers with the engine in the vehicle. Make sure the cover moves directly up and down, with no horizontal movement. Make sure nothing binds or feels stiff when removing or installing it.

The fix for a broken finger is a new camshaft. The timing device is pressed on the camshaft and not available as a part. A new camshaft is major work to install and major money to buy.

Just a heads up - more than one person has reported breaking one of these when R&R of the valve cover was necessary.
Old 10-23-2017, 06:51 PM
jeff spahn
Rennlist Member

Received 383 Likes on 221 Posts

Here's a good write up on how to do it. Going to use this for mine this winter.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...eplacement.htm
Old 10-23-2017, 07:09 PM
AGARubberDuck
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

I used the PelicanParts write-up. It is sufficient to do the job. For me, two of the largest pain points were removing the old, brittle gaskets (not too bad, but not fun either) and applying proper torque to the valve cover bolt in the furthest rear position on the passenger side. Heck, getting any kind of wrench on there is a pain but trying to torque to a specific number was brutal. Gotta find some very shallow torx bits for that job.
I could be wrong, but I remember having to source the bolt pattern and torque specs elsewhere from Pelican, but do not recall exactly where.

Other than that, be super mindful for the camshaft position flag as Don specified above. The rest of the job is really straight-forward.
Old 10-24-2017, 02:24 PM
GrandeOak
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Another tricky part is the wire that runs from top to bottom of the driver's side (right side of the engine).

A picture and helpful tips are here
Old 05-23-2019, 12:57 PM
dhc905
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Question - if you replace the Coolant T in the back of the engine, would the cam valve gasket be one of the parts to replace in the process?
Old 05-23-2019, 05:51 PM
dhc905
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

FYI, I was quoted $706 each side for cam valve gasket replacement.
Old 05-23-2019, 06:42 PM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Received 183 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by dhc905
FYI, I was quoted $706 each side for cam valve gasket replacement.
I'l do it for $1150 total including parts and new spark plugs. You can pick it up in three hours. If you want metal tees that will be extra.

Quick Reply: 2004 CAYENNE TURBO VALVE COVERS LEAKING! I