Sponsored by:

Radio Interferance Poor Reception - Source Found

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2017, 06:20 AM
DannyHoffman
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio Interferance Poor Reception - Source Found

Thought I would share my discovery with you, hope it is of use.

Ever since I acquired my 2006 Turbo a few weeks ago the FM reception has been disappointing.

I saw lots of others have suffered with this and checked/cleaned the aerial connections in the spoiler and behind the radio. I also checked the continuity of the coax. But nothing improved and I had resigned myself to living with it. I had however noticed it was intermittent.

This morning I discovered the source, it is the phone charger I use in the cigarette lighter! I tried it in the rear lighter and still get the same symptoms. I haven't tried the sockets in the boot yet.

I will try a different make of charger and report back
Old 10-09-2017, 04:28 PM
DannyHoffman
Intermediate

Update - a different make of charger didn't cause any interference at all
Old 10-10-2017, 11:26 AM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by DannyHoffman
Update - a different make of charger didn't cause any interference at all
Some import chargers are very poorly made. Biggest risk is fire, but RF noise is certainly a factor too. Glad to hear you found the source of the problem!
Old 10-10-2017, 04:03 PM
ScootCherHienie
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

If the one that did not work has any brand-name markings on it, let us know what it is so we can avoid it. This could be a poorly made charger or it could be a charger with an internal failure, but better safe than sorry.
Old 10-10-2017, 05:29 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 109 Posts

If you want to see just how horribly some is made, check out Clive's youtube videos:
https://www.youtube.com/user/bigcliv...arch?query=usb

Some stuff is downright dangerous, both from a fire and a electrical shock hazard. I'd be VERY careful to avoid using anything cut-rate in either my house or car. One would hope the fuses and breakers in the car or house would be able to catch the problems before they set things on fire, but I wouldn't count on it.
Old 10-10-2017, 06:06 PM
19psi
Burning Brakes

Received 146 Likes on 100 Posts

I have two that do that in different vehicles. At first I was blaming it on solar flares because it didn't happen all the time.
Both are heavier duty 2 amp models and they pretty much knock out all FM stations.
Old 10-10-2017, 06:47 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by wkearney99
Some stuff is downright
Shock is not an issue with 12V equipment, especially when it steps the 12V down to 5V. I would suggest that some level of quality be looked for - but aside from buying stuff made by the phone/pad manufacturer - it's hard to determine from looking at the outside.

One thing worth looking for is an internal fuse on the charger. These are typically done with a fuse behind the center contact (that depresses when put in the outlet.) On ones with a fuse - the "cone" behind the contact unscrews for access to the fuse. That at least gives some assurance that the manufacturer isn't relying on a fuse on the vehicle - which in a lighter/accessory outlet may well be 10A-15A or more (if the circuit powers multiple outlets.) That is enough current to heat things up to flammable levels.
Old 10-11-2017, 04:43 AM
DannyHoffman
Intermediate

No marking on it whatsoever but I have a attached a photo
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Radio Interferance Poor Reception - Source Found