Sponsored by:

transmission harsh shift 5th to 4th downshift

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2017, 10:29 PM
JBee
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmission harsh shift 5th to 4th downshift

2005 cayenne s experiencing harsh 5th to 4th downshift under light to moderate acceleration. Seems as if transmission clutch timing and release not timed properly. The 5th gear stays engaged while the 4th gear is applied momentarily causing jerking and clunking. Momentary lockup when 5th and 4th gears are applied at once. Is this the symptom experienced with valve body issues or possibly a programming issue?

Your expert opinion would be much appreciated.

Thanks

John
Old 10-06-2017, 11:04 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by JBee
2005 cayenne s experiencing harsh 5th to 4th downshift under light to moderate acceleration. Seems as if transmission clutch timing and release not timed properly. The 5th gear stays engaged while the 4th gear is applied momentarily causing jerking and clunking. Momentary lockup when 5th and 4th gears are applied at once. Is this the symptom experienced with valve body issues or possibly a programming issue?

Thanks

John
Sounds like sticky solenoid valves in the valve body. Not an uncommon problem on early Cayennes.
Old 10-09-2017, 01:50 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Yes, sounds like sticky solenoids. A couple transmission fluid flushes might fix it if this is your only odd transmission behavior and you have old fluid. Otherwise you have three options in order of likelihood of success and unfortunately cost:

-Replace valve body with a rebuilt one
-Rebuild valve body and solenoids with transgo shift kit
-Replace just the solenoid that is giving you problems
The following users liked this post:
resQav8r (01-08-2024)
Old 07-13-2018, 04:44 AM
Karen Alvarez
1st Gear

Default What did u do?

Originally Posted by JBee

Thanks

John
I'm thinking of leaving it as is, what's the worst that can happen? Cayenne base v6 2006
Old 09-05-2018, 08:44 PM
VulcanGrey
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

anyone read this manual? Great info!
I searched the Rennlist site and couldn't find any thread that mentioned this AISIN transmission manual.
https://www.onlymanuals.com/manuals/...0sn_09d_manual
Old 09-05-2018, 11:50 PM
davis391
Intermediate

Originally Posted by VulcanGrey
I searched the Rennlist site and couldn't find any thread that mentioned this AISIN transmission manual.
This is a super resource, VulcanGrey. Thanks for posting!

And to the OP, I had the very same issue. I replaced the original valve body with a rebuilt one and have had no issues since.

I have a 2004 CS with 148,000 miles. Replaced the VB ~5k miles ago.
Old 09-06-2018, 07:13 PM
VulcanGrey
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sounds like the OP may have the same problem as me.

I have an occasional rough shift from 5th to 4th under partial throttle in automatic mode, which doesn't happen if I lift a little mid-shift in manual mode.
It also feels like I have some flare between 4th-5th and 5th-6th.

Solenoid N282 (No. 9 Solenoid)
The N282 Solenoid is a
normally applied
, pulse width modulated solenoid controlling the apply and release
of the K2 Clutch. When this solenoid is fully Off, the K2 clutch is fully applied. If this solenoid fails in the
Off (Normally Applied) position, 4th
shift may be firm
Old 09-07-2018, 12:05 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by nacnud
This is a super resource, VulcanGrey. Thanks for posting!

And to the OP, I had the very same issue. I replaced the original valve body with a rebuilt one and have had no issues since.

I have a 2004 CS with 148,000 miles. Replaced the VB ~5k miles ago.

No kidding! Can we download this and save it to the site? Did anyone else see that there is a fill plug shown on the side of the case listed on page 27? I have never seen or heard of that being mentioned!
Old 09-07-2018, 12:26 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by nodoors
No kidding! Can we download this and save it to the site? Did anyone else see that there is a fill plug shown on the side of the case listed on page 27? I have never seen or heard of that being mentioned!
InternetBrands - who owns Rennlist - I believe is a tad touchy about making copyrighted material available on the website without permission of the copyright owner. If someone could obtain that - then we could probably host it. In the meantime, I'd suggest the link may suffice - and anyone who wants a copy can do what they want with the one that the link opens.

Good idea.. buttttt....
Old 10-01-2022, 10:39 AM
unclebilly
Intermediate

I just bought a low mile 06 Turbo S that has a harsh shift under hard acceleration. Has anyone done the transgo shift kit and had this fix things? Alternatively, I can just do solenoids which is less work but costs a bit more.
Old 10-02-2022, 05:09 AM
hopsis
Pro

Received 187 Likes on 127 Posts

I put the transgo kit to my '06 last year, it makes a difference for sure. Not as crisp as a new valve body would be but a big improvement, and it's not exactly expensive to try.
Old 01-04-2024, 11:38 PM
omaan
5th Gear

Originally Posted by VulcanGrey
Adding another link to the file https://vwts.ru/vw_doc2/trans/09d/atsg_09d_eng.pdf

Quick Reply: transmission harsh shift 5th to 4th downshift