Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you love your Cayenne?

Old 09-21-2017, 12:20 AM
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Do you love your Cayenne?

I'm one of those folks that has to get a new ride every 3 years. I've now had my cayenne for 5+ years and absolutely love it. I don't want anything else right now. 87.5K miles and running strong (knock on wood). Maybe it's the sweat equity of changing fluids, brakes, etc. Honestly nothing really is calling to me. Looked at RRs, Jags, X5M, but nothing has tempted me so far. I love getting into this vehicle and driving every day. It's such a capable vehicle of doing so many different things. I would love new technology, yes, but not enough to give up on her. She got detailed recently and I was without her for 2 days and I found myself missing her. Even with my C2S I'm eyeing GT3s and know I will replace that one.

Anyhow, enough deep thoughts for a Wednesday. Hope everyone is well!
Old 09-21-2017, 12:56 AM
elite1
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Upgrade the PIG dude. You love it even more.

I had a 06 S and absolutely loved it. I now have a 12' turbo and realize what I was missing.
Old 09-21-2017, 08:39 AM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 993 Likes on 527 Posts

Originally Posted by 8202632
I'm one of those folks that has to get a new ride every 3 years. I've now had my cayenne for 5+ years and absolutely love it. I don't want anything else right now. 87.5K miles and running strong (knock on wood). Maybe it's the sweat equity of changing fluids, brakes, etc. Honestly nothing really is calling to me. Looked at RRs, Jags, X5M, but nothing has tempted me so far. I love getting into this vehicle and driving every day. It's such a capable vehicle of doing so many different things. I would love new technology, yes, but not enough to give up on her. She got detailed recently and I was without her for 2 days and I found myself missing her. Even with my C2S I'm eyeing GT3s and know I will replace that one.

I did the same. I've almost owned enough cars sequentially to be considered a used car dealer. Well, I've given a number of them a run for their money.

All of that came to a screeching halt when I got the GT3. Traded my 1996 Carrera 2 and never looked back.

I've had that car for 10 years now and put 120,000 miles on it, most of it daily driven, and I have no interest in replacing it with anything.

GT3s are not for everyone, but if you like a raw sports car experience you will be eminently rewarded.
Old 09-21-2017, 10:27 AM
BlackTurboS
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 8202632

8202632 - Wow, you literally posted the thoughts I have been having over the past month. I have an 09 Turbo S that I've had for 2+ years and love it. But I am with you, I like to get something else every 2-3 years. Also like you, I can't find anything that jumps out at me that says come buy me. I just can't find it. I also invested a lot in sweat equity in my CTTS. Fluids, brakes, pulleys, belts, all done by myself and proud of it. Don't make fun of me, but I was really eyeing up a Tesla Model S Performance (used). but I can't really get one with the features I want for sub $70k. My goal would be to charge the Tesla with my small wind/solar combo and truly take the car off the grid. But at $70k for the car I'm not there yet. Instead I could get a softronic tune and a cat bypass and put my PIG at ~620HP. That is tempting, and far less expensive than my Tesla idea. I'm at 95k miles and it still runs like the day I got it with 60k miles, if not better actually. I take great care of it, owe very little on it, but would love something different. Having the CTTS and getting used to it, I appreciate your feedback becuase if I got rid of it I am sure I would miss it very soon.

Especially as we approach winter here in the Northeast. My CTTS has been absolutely jaw dropping in snow the past two seasons. Setting the air suspension on terrain, with my Conti DWS 06 tires, and I honestly believe I can go anywhere I want. I have never felt safer, grounded, and in control of a vehicle as I do with my CTTS.

In summary - thank you for posting. You saved me a trip to my psych as we shared our thoughts on separating from our Cayenne's and are now at peace! Mine is going in for annual inspection, engine mounts (preventative), and some odds and ends next week. I just can't decide on the Softronic/Bypass combo. Soooo soooo tempting.
Old 09-21-2017, 04:18 PM
Porsche_Turbo
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You will regret selling it because you will not find anything comparable at the same price range. Only way you will probably feel satisfied, assuming money is not a limitation, a brand new Cayenne TT or Range Rover SVR.
Old 09-21-2017, 04:47 PM
AGARubberDuck
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

Sold my 04 CTT at 180K miles after 4 monthly major repairs. Coincidentally, my usually-trusty-rusty '93 GMC that I'd run around in while the CTT was waiting for parts, etc., had a bad month at the same time as the 04 CTT and it was the straw that broke the camel's back. At that time I was fed up with all that sweat equity and decided I could afford something with a lot less miles, and wanted something I didn't have to wrench on all the time. I shopped and shopped and shopped, and finally landed on a 16 Silverado LTZ with the 6.2l.
Well, that lasted 8 months and I'm now in a 958TT. The Cayenne really has no equal out there, especially in the turbo form. I joked with my brother shortly after I first got the 04, that the only thing I could see upgrading to is a newer one. Still holds true.
(Though I really do miss the android auto and voice assistant compatibility the GM gave me)
Old 09-21-2017, 09:35 PM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Received 183 Likes on 135 Posts

I do love my Cayenne. I too agree that there is no real replacement. So, I gave myself the financial approval to go crazy. My outlay is still far less than I would lose in equity over a short period on many vehicles that I would actually like to drive and wayy less than the depreciation of a new (post 2014) Cayenne.
Old 09-22-2017, 02:30 AM
phatz
Burning Brakes

Received 163 Likes on 126 Posts

Love ...no
I did learn some German
Code:
Pfeffer leckt meinen arsch
It helps me cope, when say I need a quadruple triple oval inverted extra long #15 XZN socket for a cabin filter change
Old 09-22-2017, 09:05 AM
prosled8
Racer

I am torn currently. My 08 Ctt is probably totaled by my recent deer strike, should find out today. I am also a change it up guy, been through over 75 vehicles now... I am trying to get excited about a RRSC full size from 07-09. Less power than the Cayenne by 100 but maybe better suited to my off roading tendencies. I am having trouble getting excited about the change though. This was my second Cayenne and living in the snowy mountains it is hard to find better all rounder.
Old 09-22-2017, 10:50 AM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 792 Likes on 444 Posts

Originally Posted by phatz
Love ...no
I did learn some German
Code:
Pfeffer leckt meinen arsch
It helps me cope, when say I need a quadruple triple oval inverted extra long #15 XZN socket for a cabin filter change
So, like a moron, I Googled that, thinking it would kick me into translate, and here's what I got:
Attached Images  
Old 09-22-2017, 11:46 AM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The word LOVE and the word HATE both have four letters, as there's a very fine line of separation between the two; particularly with German car ownership.

I've never owned a daily driver for more than 4 years. Do I LOVE my Cayenne? Well, as most have already posted, 7 years of ownership should give you a good idea..
Old 09-22-2017, 12:49 PM
pbarch1
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I know this goes against convention, but when I bought my 09 gts I looked at newer iterations. Honestly, I love the substantial nature of the older versions. It feels just right IMHO.
I've owned 4 porsches over the years and if you are a driver no other car brand that even comes close. whether it's a sports car, an SUV , sedan,
I love my Cayenne I foresee it being with me for a long time to come.
Old 09-22-2017, 04:01 PM
Rossi
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

Funny to see this post.... Similar thinking here, I have to 2009 GTS with six speed manual transmission. Such a special car to me. What am I ever going to do to replace it, there is nothing like it and there will never ever be anything like it, that is for sure. I don't see today any SUV I would rather have than this one as I need SUV for work. Besides the V8 and manual transmission, I find the 957 Cayennes with GTS/TT front fascia the best looking Cayennes out there. Just me. The 958+ design doesn't do it for me. I like the upcoming Alfa Romeo Stelvio Quatrifoglio SUV, but Alfa's reliability is such a joke, I don't see myself jumping into one.
Old 09-23-2017, 12:58 AM
ProgRockJunkie
Rennlist Member

Received 370 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by Rossi
Funny to see this post.... Similar thinking here, I have to 2009 GTS with six speed manual transmission. Such a special car to me. What am I ever going to do to replace it, there is nothing like it and there will never ever be anything like it, that is for sure. I don't see today any SUV I would rather have than this one as I need SUV for work. Besides the V8 and manual transmission, I find the 957 Cayennes with GTS/TT front fascia the best looking Cayennes out there. Just me. The 958+ design doesn't do it for me. I like the upcoming Alfa Romeo Stelvio Quatrifoglio SUV, but Alfa's reliability is such a joke, I don't see myself jumping into one.
The Stelvio won't be any different than any other Fiat Group product, and I've owned many. They are flimsy. The numbers on the Quadrifoglio are impressive, but it'll be another turd on tires, great for the first three years but hard to impossible to even turn your lease back in unless you're getting another. You'll have to pretend you're dropping it off for service and notify them the lease expires the next day and you won't be picking it up. I don't mean to be completely down on Alfa. but I've seen enough across Ferrari, Maserati and Fiat to know that you'll be lucky if buttons aren't breaking off in your hand as you leave the lot.

As for the 955, I'm married to this Turbo S as far as I'm concerned. I'm going heavy on preventative maintenance, code free for the time being, got a respray on 2/3 of the car and actually wrapped it in 3M. I'll respray the rear eventually. Looks nearly new. Driving closer to new than ever before in the time I've owned her. I've been through four 955's, an S, a turbo and two turbo S's. Wish I'd kept the last one. I'm not sure where the pain point is that I'd give up on her, but it's a damn sight off from now, only 112k on the odo at the moment. Best car I've ever owned, most versatile, safe, fun, love her.
Old 09-23-2017, 01:48 AM
Jimbabwe
Advanced

I do love my CTTS.
There is no other single vehicle out there that can tow my 24' travel trailer, make it up and over the dirt trails I occasionally have the pleasure of driving, and give the same thrill as my motorcycle on the rare day when I don't feel like riding in to work. All while being a well behaved and very comfortable driving machine.
To replace it would require several different vehicles. Not going to happen.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Do you love your Cayenne?