Sponsored by:

955 Transmission Filter

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 05:56 PM
ProgRockJunkie
Rennlist Member

Received 371 Likes on 248 Posts
Default 955 Transmission Filter

Probably going to be a very short thread. I did a search on the forum here and didn't get any results for "955 transmission filter". I obviously see them available online, from about $45 for no name to $160 for OEM. Can anyone tell me if there's any difference at all between the cheap knockoff and genuine Porsche besides the box, and if so, what? Fluid is already here. Was going to have my mechanic source the filter locally but he's saying $225. He'll take customer supplied parts so I'd rather just order the filter if he's going to mark up that much.

The pig in question is an '06 Turbo S. What to buy?

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-19-2017, 06:04 PM
ProgRockJunkie
Rennlist Member

Looking at Pelican, the pan gasket is $105 from Porsche OEM or around ten bucks from the rest of the world? So same question, why OEM? Any reason?
Old 09-19-2017, 10:34 PM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

I won't buy any brand but it doesn't have to be Porsche, at least a name brand. Aisin, Toyota, Mann, Mahle, etc...
Old 09-20-2017, 12:19 AM
ProgRockJunkie
Rennlist Member

Want to delete this post, don't see how.
Old 09-20-2017, 03:42 AM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Received 183 Likes on 135 Posts

I bought a middle of the road OEM quality from pelican. I don't think you can lose too much.
Old 09-20-2017, 10:39 AM
dpatel710
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=icspres;14485637]Can anyone tell me if there's any difference at all between the cheap knockoff and genuine Porsche besides the box, and if so, what?QUOTE]

I used the pelican parts kit. The filter was the same as what came out, a metal shell with a fine screen filter. Hard to see the benefit of going w/Porsche parts for this.

The gasket with the kit was a different color than oem but it is a fairly robust design and should be fine.
Old 09-20-2017, 02:29 PM
AO
Supercharged
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 33 Posts

I've tried name and no-name with good results Main thing is to get that damn o-ring to seat correctly. It's easy to have it get caught and not seal properly.
Old 09-20-2017, 02:36 PM
ProgRockJunkie
Rennlist Member

Completely uninteresting end as expected, but ended up buying this...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-955-...72.m2749.l2649

Vaico, Elring, Aisin parts and oil, all also sold by Pelican. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 01-12-2019, 01:49 PM
aksuited
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by icspres
Completely uninteresting end as expected, but ended up buying this...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-955-...72.m2749.l2649

Vaico, Elring, Aisin parts and oil, all also sold by Pelican. Thanks for the feedback.
How did you like this kit? Was it worth it and recommended in your opinion for a DIY drain and fill?
Old 01-12-2019, 01:54 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,141 Likes on 758 Posts

I was discussing a fluid change with my knowledgeable mechanic just yesterday.. his opinion is - if you need a new transmission "filter" you need a new transmission. The reason being - it's not really a "filter" - it's a plastic sieve that filters out chunks. If you have chunks floating around in your oil pan - the transmission is already shot. He suggested saving the $$ for the filter and using it to do two flushes 500 miles apart. That's standard procedure for service with a number of car manufacturers.

YMMV..
Old 01-12-2019, 04:42 PM
Evilyeti
AutoX

I wouldn't agree with the opinion of not changing the filter. Some wear is inevitable and there will be plenty of clutch material in the oil after some time, especially on vehicles that use torque converter lockup clutch through all the gears. My prior experience is from ZF 6hp transmissions though, but i do imagine that the Aisin unit on the Cayenne is fairly similar.
And doing multiple flushes only has a point if you lack the proper equipment and can only change the fluid in the transmission oil pan. Around these parts at least it's common to flush the whole system by pumping though fresh fluid, until the one coming out is clean also.
Old 01-12-2019, 06:50 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,141 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by Evilyeti
I wouldn't agree with the opinion of not changing the filter. Some wear is inevitable and there will be plenty of clutch material in the oil after some time, especially on vehicles that use torque converter lockup clutch through all the gears. My prior experience is from ZF 6hp transmissions though, but i do imagine that the Aisin unit on the Cayenne is fairly similar.
And doing multiple flushes only has a point if you lack the proper equipment and can only change the fluid in the transmission oil pan. Around these parts at least it's common to flush the whole system by pumping though fresh fluid, until the one coming out is clean also.
Have you looked at a filter? It's a screen, not a filter. It isn't going to capture any fine clutch material that may be circulating. The magnets in the pan capture any ferrous bits floating around. The "flush" transmission routine requires a special machine to do it - and to be willing to dump a LOT of transmission fluid through it. Given the price of the genuine Porsche fluid - that becomes very expensive.
Old 01-12-2019, 10:07 PM
JAGMAN1
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

You are right about the filter. But changing it is easy. And it's cheap.
Old 01-13-2019, 07:23 AM
Evilyeti
AutoX

I imagine you are right, often times i've found a lot of dark sludge in the fitler, but i guess with enough carb cleaner, could clean it up.
On the ZF6hp26's i've had to change the filter, as it's one part with the transmission oil pan, and the plastic pan is usually warped from all the heat cycling so you need to get a new one anyway. It does thankfully seem that the cayenne does not have such strange design.
But for flushing you don't really need a special machine, all you need is a pump, some hoses and some adapters that you can connect to the lines coming from the transmission.
When it comes to fluid, having flushed multiple transmissions i wouldn't say it takes that much fluid, usually about double the capacity, or slightly less. Using Porsche branded fluid would be a waste of money though, and the Aisin genuine fluid is really cheap, like 3 times cheaper than the genuine fluid for the ZF transmissions.
Old 01-13-2019, 11:05 AM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Received 183 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Evilyeti
I imagine you are right, often times i've found a lot of dark sludge in the fitler, but i guess with enough carb cleaner, could clean it up.
On the ZF6hp26's i've had to change the filter, as it's one part with the transmission oil pan, and the plastic pan is usually warped from all the heat cycling so you need to get a new one anyway. It does thankfully seem that the cayenne does not have such strange design.
But for flushing you don't really need a special machine, all you need is a pump, some hoses and some adapters that you can connect to the lines coming from the transmission.
When it comes to fluid, having flushed multiple transmissions i wouldn't say it takes that much fluid, usually about double the capacity, or slightly less. Using Porsche branded fluid would be a waste of money though, and the Aisin genuine fluid is really cheap, like 3 times cheaper than the genuine fluid for the ZF transmissions.
I got a 12pack of Mobil 3309 which is the correct fluid on Ebay for $72.

Quick Reply: 955 Transmission Filter