Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Achilles sport 2 295-35-21, about $400 delivered.......?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 09:23 PM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Received 183 Likes on 135 Posts
Default Achilles sport 2 295-35-21, about $400 delivered.......?

https://www.tires-easy.com/295-35-21/achilles-tires/atr-sport-2/tirecode/1AC-295352103-WW000

​​​​​​​Automotive tire manufacturer PT Multistrada Arah Sarana (MASA) was first established in 1991, just as Indonesian business and industry were expanding and upgrading. By 1994 the factory had commenced production of replacement tires for automobiles, and the number of units sold each year grew rapidly. MASA first sought technical assistance from global manufacturer Pirelli (1991 to 1994), followed by a similar agreement with Continental (1994 to 2000).

Over the years, MASA has greatly expanded its manufacturing complex, which today covers ten hectares of buildings on a 61-hectare site in East Cikarang, approximately one hour from Indonesia’s capital, Jakarta. Faithful adherence to global quality standards, overseen by a proven professional management team, was certified by the award of ISO 9001-2000 and SNI 19-17025-2000 accreditation.

Suprisingly they have great reviews all over the interweb. Considering how hard the CTT is on tires.....

Achilles is made in Indonesia which is one of the worlds largest exporters of rubber. Would anybody dare?
Old 08-24-2017, 10:25 PM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

For now I'm good with paying extra for my Michelin's, I know they are overpriced but they are consistently tops in most tire tests. And when I'm doing triple digits which is a all too common occur when you live out in the sticks I have a little more peace of mind with a top rated tire.
If I was burning a set up doing some drifting sure, get some of the cheapest I can find. At least until there is more data from Tire rack and/or some of the magazine tests.
Old 08-24-2017, 10:48 PM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by hahnmgh63
For now I'm good with paying extra for my Michelin's, I know they are overpriced but they are consistently tops in most tire tests. And when I'm doing triple digits which is a all too common occur when you live out in the sticks I have a little more peace of mind with a top rated tire.
If I was burning a set up doing some drifting sure, get some of the cheapest I can find. At least until there is more data from Tire rack and/or some of the magazine tests.

That is pretty much what I was thinking. Considering the weight of the Cayenne its really not worth a blowout @ 180.
Old 08-24-2017, 11:30 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Not sure I would try those, but I have been thinking about giving the Cooper Discoverer H/T Plus a shot on my next go around. I currently have a set of Michelin Lattitudes that are disintegrating chunk by chunk before my eyes and I don't know how they could be any worse than this ****e.

They have been very highly reviewed on the touareg and land rover boards. I figure if they suck, I will just make a cool $500 4wd burnout and donut video.
Old 08-25-2017, 12:15 AM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by nodoors
Not sure I would try those, but I have been thinking about giving the Cooper Discoverer H/T Plus a shot on my next go around. I currently have a set of Michelin Lattitudes that are disintegrating chunk by chunk before my eyes and I don't know how they could be any worse than this ****e.

They have been very highly reviewed on the touareg and land rover boards. I figure if they suck, I will just make a cool $500 4wd burnout and donut video.
​​​​​​​21's ?
Old 08-25-2017, 12:20 AM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

The 21" is tough space, bit I really like the compromise of fitment vs durability. It's getting better and better with more offerings. I guess my next choice would be the vred's. The sessantia was a really good tire and I drove them down to the cords on acouple sets. Now they have the ultac vorti which looks even better. The michelins and contis were really awesome too but not enougg to out weigh the price. Plus the treadwear ratings suck. I gotta get some tires on this pig. Its time to order.
Old 08-25-2017, 08:43 AM
prosled8
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am usually a tire snob like the rest of you. I remember when Kumho was very new to the market. Hoisiers for the track were pretty spendy, Kumho offered a DOT legal track tire for a lot less. I ran them on a couple of different track cars over the years and never had a problem. The ISO certification is pretty stringent. That said, I would wait for some reviews regarding treadlife, grip, noise etc.
Old 08-25-2017, 08:48 AM
prosled8
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nodoors

I wouldn't run Coopers ever again, too many issues with poor traction (winter) and poor treadlife. The shop we used pushed Coopers for years, we ran quite a few. I quit running them for the stated reasons and shortly after that the shop dropped the line because the warranty hassles were over the top.
Old 08-25-2017, 11:00 AM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Ah, sorry about that. It looks like they only go up to 20 inch sizes which is the size wheel I prefer to run.

prosled8, thank you for the feedback. It looks like their older tires from years ago got quite a bit of grief, but the newer ones are getting much better reviews. How long ago was your last Cooper tire experience?
Old 08-25-2017, 05:17 PM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

The iso certification is what was making me even give the Achilles a second look. All the reviews are really good. I mean, $400 is like super dirt cheap. I might have to be the guinea pig. Maybe I could just beat the hell out of them and wear them down to the cords to see how they respond. I would probably want to stay away from the high speed stuff until then.

Back when the Vredestein's first came out I was one of the first people to come in here and recommend them. People were like "Vreda what?" They turn out to be really good
tires at a nice price point. However they aren't $400 nice!

I'm actually running Hankook ventus v2's on my A4 quattro right now and I really like them.
Old 08-26-2017, 12:07 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

I say go for it. Tthat is dirt cheap for 21's and I am sure you can get $400 worth of fun out of them. At the very least, you could do some pretty insane 4wd burnout videos with all the newfound power.
Old 08-26-2017, 04:27 PM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Plus, they are a 400 treadwear rating. I wont have to put down as much bleach or break as many axles!
Old 08-27-2017, 05:35 PM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

As I said I do like the Michelin, now run them on at least 4 vehicles, Pilot Super Sports, AS3+, Latitudes, etc.. But with that said someone on here or two were running the Nokian SUV tires with good reviews. Might be worth a try, they're definitely cheaper, not as common to find though.
Old 08-27-2017, 10:12 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by hahnmgh63
As I said I do like the Michelin, now run them on at least 4 vehicles, Pilot Super Sports, AS3+, Latitudes, etc.. But with that said someone on here or two were running the Nokian SUV tires with good reviews. Might be worth a try, they're definitely cheaper, not as common to find though.
I'm running the Nokian tires - and can't actually recommend them.

They tend to flat-spot if parked for more than 4-5 hours. It takes about 10 miles for the flat-spots to work their way out. They also were difficult to balance, even for a shop with the latest Hunter Road-Force balancer. There was one tire that couldn't be balanced, and the vendor had to send me a replacement. By the time I got done rebalancing several times, mounting/remounting the defective tire, etc - it would have been smarter to go for a more expensive tire.

They do seem to be wearing well.
Old 08-27-2017, 11:22 PM
Dilberto
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Achilles is a good tire. Another budget brand good for Cayenne is Lexani LX-Thirty. I got 42,000 miles on my last set.... and I do NOT baby them:
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Achilles sport 2 295-35-21, about $400 delivered.......?