Received 471 Likes on 272 Posts

Oh man, your dedication is awesome!
Old 12-28-2018, 01:42 AM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Received 183 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by lupo.sk
Oh man, your dedication is awesome!
Thanks Lupo! Your love, my love, love for the platform is what keeps me going. There is no substitute.
Old 12-28-2018, 01:47 AM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Video's pretty much make everything better. The turbo system is pretty efficient. There is hope for this project and let me tell you, all forms of 15psi are not created equal. Started from the bottom now we here....

Old 12-28-2018, 11:06 AM
cordsig79
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

So you found a leak but still spraying boost out like I drank 4 espresso's!

Again, cheering you on J!

Thanks for all the updates and constitution to make something solid.
Old 12-30-2018, 12:56 AM
Brainz
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

Keep it up, J! Pulling for 4-wheel smoky burnouts in 2019!
Old 01-05-2019, 04:48 PM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Cowl drain some of you may not have realized was there.

Exhaust.

You would think that the entire drive-line would be centered in the chassis but far from it.

The Swain Tech white Lightning..... Swain told me the "dripping"? action is normal. They also told me that it would turn gray, and it has. Seems that the white layer of coating has become somewhat powdery or delicate. The bits look silver but I can assure you it is not the base metal. The coating is rather thick and under the white is gray and still hard as hell. I can tell you one thing, the stuff works. My underhood temps stay rather cool and I can do a pull and touch the manifolds immed.
The following users liked this post:
Dilberto (09-12-2021)
Old 01-05-2019, 05:06 PM
Brainz
Rennlist Member

What’s going on J? Did you pull the engine again? Why?

BTW, you’re making me look soft complaining about 2 days of replacing valve cover gaskets...
Old 01-05-2019, 06:25 PM
CTTS520
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Old 01-05-2019, 08:35 PM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Brainz
What’s going on J? Did you pull the engine again? Why?

BTW, you’re making me look soft complaining about 2 days of replacing valve cover gaskets...
Had to pull it to fix exhaust leaks and I'm waiting for some data from the awesome Tech guy Mike @ Tial and his boy @ Borg Warner. They are going to help me with some calculations that are a bit over my head. I'm trying to determine whether 38mm wastegates would be more ideal for this combo and if the current 44's are definitly too big. So, I may be switching them and that will require a small amount of welding/fab. These turbo's aren't huge but they aren't small and I didn't think long enough that 17-22'ish psi is probably the lowest I will ever run.

Anybody that tackles a Cayenne isn't soft in my book! The way I take the engine out the front is more work but it is much more manageable and I don't have to get an alignment after. Seriously i have a couple fasteners that literally take me like an hour each because I can only get like an 1/8th turn at a time and my hands get tired and cramp. VC gaskets in place are a biiiaatch and I actually made a tool for that lower rear pass side bolt I constantly question my sanity for tackling this project, and sometimes I feel regret. But, when I drive it........ohhh that drive......it all go's away.

Originally Posted by CTTS520
Thank you sir!
Old 01-05-2019, 08:40 PM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

On a side note- after I got it all tore down I found that only my passenger side was leaking, and it was a lot. That makes me feel better as to that being the root cause of the boost oscillations.

In case anybody is wondering I din't put it all together to stage pictures, I had to mark and clock everything so that I can get it back together properly. With the multiple v-band flanges and angles this is extremely crucial. Moving forward I will be set for the future.
Old 01-06-2019, 10:14 AM
Brainz
Rennlist Member

Awesome stuff. Seems like you're really close to getting it dialed in. I know what you mean about "that drive," albeit with significantly lower HP in my case, it's a great machine when running right.

I discovered my upper control arm is shot on the driver's side. It's causing the inner edge of the tire to get chewed up. Am in the process of getting myself psyched up to do a full control arm replacement. Bolts all look much easier to access, so fingers crossed it goes smoothly....

Keep up the good work!
Old 01-06-2019, 01:07 PM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Brainz
Awesome stuff. Seems like you're really close to getting it dialed in. I know what you mean about "that drive," albeit with significantly lower HP in my case, it's a great machine when running right.

I discovered my upper control arm is shot on the driver's side. It's causing the inner edge of the tire to get chewed up. Am in the process of getting myself psyched up to do a full control arm replacement. Bolts all look much easier to access, so fingers crossed it goes smoothly....

Keep up the good work!
Check out the Powerflex bushings. The stock upper control arm bushings are totally inadequate for this weight/capability of the vehicle. IMO, of course I think I am going to end up doing the whole array. Right now I just refuse to invest any more money until I get the tuning headed the right way.
Old 01-06-2019, 02:43 PM
Brainz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by J'sWorld
Check out the Powerflex bushings. The stock upper control arm bushings are totally inadequate for this weight/capability of the vehicle. IMO, of course I think I am going to end up doing the whole array. Right now I just refuse to invest any more money until I get the tuning headed the right way.
That's probably a good idea -- I'd not realized that there was a performance option for the upper control arm. And given my low mileage -- I'd agree the factory parts are under spec'd. Interestingly, I think the lower control arms are hanging in there, but I'll plan on replacing them as I've already got the parts on hand (due to prior misdiagnosis of a front end clunk).
Old 01-21-2019, 06:55 PM
IMR
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice build looking forward to more pics and youtube vids on the build.

what you using to tune the truck and do you have any pics of the stock turbos ? Im picking up a 08 and im going to send the stock turbos out for a slight upgrade i heard they were VF43 turbos ?
Old 01-22-2019, 11:45 AM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by IMR
Nice build looking forward to more pics and youtube vids on the build.

what you using to tune the truck and do you have any pics of the stock turbos ? Im picking up a 08 and im going to send the stock turbos out for a slight upgrade i heard they were VF43 turbos ?
Thank you! I will be doing more vids as soon as I can get everything sorted. Unfortunately I don't have time for that right now. I do have Adobe master collection if there are any editors out there that want to trade the adobe for some editing?

I'm not the one tuning it but they use WinOLS.

08 957 series 4.8L uses tdo4's 18tHL.

Quick Reply: 2004 Cayenne 955 Turbo Upgrade Build Thread, Custom Manifolds, BW EFR 7163's