Three Wheelin'

Received 183 Likes on 135 Posts

The following users liked this post:
DougNuts (03-09-2022)
Old 10-25-2018, 04:00 AM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

That is a work of art and a damn shame you have to hide most of it with plastic. How tempted are you to ditch the factory headlights and turn the cavities into killer scoop intakes with a small projector beam mounted in the middle of the hole? It would have quite a terminator look (when he had the flesh torn off his face) especially if you left the bumper off and had some red backlight where the eyes are. Seems fitting for a 1000+hp 4 door asshaulinwaggon
Old 10-25-2018, 09:37 AM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Thank you! I am quite tempted! I want to upgrade the projectors in the headlights and thought about getting rid of the secondary high beam and turning those into intakes. I'm almost officially out of room for stuff. Right now I'm pretty much putting any extras back burner until I get some real results. It's time to stop the bleeding!
Old 10-25-2018, 04:33 PM
Brainz
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

Looking nice! How many days 'til we see some sweet 4 wheel burnouts?
Old 10-25-2018, 05:32 PM
CTTS520
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Great work! Good luck on the next test run.
Old 10-25-2018, 08:44 PM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Brainz
Looking nice! How many days 'til we see some sweet 4 wheel burnouts?
I dare not answer that! If it is going to happen anywhere in the world, you will see it here first. Each ECU revision has been night an day to the one before and progress in that area seems fast to me. I had some things personal pop up recently coupled with this cooler being a difficult install. Should get back to the revisions maybe tommorow or monday'ish.

Originally Posted by CTTS520
Great work! Good luck on the next test run.
Thank you for appreciating my art

Old 10-26-2018, 04:22 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 125 Posts

Very nice craftsmanship!

Cheers,
Tom
Old 10-27-2018, 02:19 AM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Thank you Tom!
Old 10-27-2018, 02:33 AM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

I got the beast back together tonight and took a couple of logs. The first is a 3rd gear pull ~2500rpm - ~6500. Second is a 60-120, PSM off in auto. All the info is there if you can dig an excel spreadsheet. There are over 10k tables that can be logged in this ecu! Not all @ once of course. For you geeks that want the hard info here it is. We haven't finished dialing in the fueling yet and are just running a safe tune. All the boost reference is going to the bottom ports on the external gates so essentially no boost control yet and all the exhaust manifold pressure and boost pressure trying to open the gates that are running a .8 bar spring. I haven't made the heat shields for the filters yet and plumbed fresh air to them but I'm still able to achieve ambient and the delta looks pretty good. Speed is kph and temps are in celcius. Ambient comes from the sensor in front of the radiator and intake temp comes from the MAP @ the throttle body.
Attached Files
Old 10-27-2018, 05:26 AM
tats
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sub

Last edited by tats; 10-27-2018 at 05:27 AM. Reason: Doh didn’t read the post properly
Old 10-31-2018, 12:44 AM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

So I thought I would add a little food for thought concerning the cooling system on the 955CTT.
I did some driving around here the past few days, collecting some data. I use the PIWIS to monitor real time. I can either watch the feed or log a real time graph. Depending on what I am logging the resolution on the graphs can be.....meh. I use the PIWIS sometimes because the ME7 logger doesn't display in real time and if Visual ME7 logger does, I haven't played with it yet.
Throughout the heat of the summer I never had any overheating issues running the Cayenne pretty hard on the stock tune. The past couple of days have been in the high 80's here (89 yesterday in my area). Now I have the monster FMIC almost totally blocking the radiator with only about an 1 1/2" on the sides, above and below the cooler brackets. I never turn on ECON mode so there should always be some heat output by the condenser between the cooler and the radiator. I also still have the factory P/S cooler in front of the condenser. In essence, the cooler is 4 1/2" thick, P/s cooler 3/4" thick, condenser 3/4" thick, and then the radiator itself. the whole module adds to about ~8 1/2" thick.
Remember that my block is dry sleeved. During the build I replaced the original Behr radiator with a Nissens unit because I have had great luck with them in the past and they are priced rather well. If I remeber right the Nissens unit has one less row of tubes than the original and in relation each tube is slightly larger to maintain the dimensions. I am running the original large(main) cooling fan and replaced the small(aux) fan and control module that is built into that with a new one. I also replaced the thermostat with a stock one. My external wastegates are watercooled so that adds some heat. Some of you know how hot a wastegate can get. Of course my water pump is new in the build. The stock thermostat isn't fully open until 210f per the Porsche tech literature.

I wanted to see how accurate the cluster gauge was and what the dead zone around 180 or straight up on the line was. What I observed while hooning around on these country and highway frontage roads was that:

Around 159f on the PIWIS, the gauge needle was really really close to the 180f line. It doesn't budge until around 188-189 on the PIWIS, and then it is still very close. I did some pulls and then and some stops for 5 mins or so immediatly after to let it heat soak. I never got over 189 on the PIWIS before it started cooling back down @ a stop. There is only one coolant temp sensor on the v8 955. It is located on the coolant distributor. This location gets fresh water out of the radiator so it should be the coolest point in the system. I know I have said before, DON'T OVERHEAT YOUR ENGINE! By the time that gauge is telling you that you are @ 230f or so, it is too late IMO. Imagine how hot the coolant going into the radiator is by then!

Based on my limited automotive wisdom I always thought the cooling system in the Cayenne was well above par. The tech literature suggest that to be true. Now I know it is. If you are having cooling issues, somethings wrong! You know, I am not making 1000hp yet, but I have some faith. Plus I still have a side intercooler duct open for an aux radiator to add in the loop

I think the main thing that would be giving owners trouble is the small fan and built in controller. Those controllers do go bad, on many makes and models. The radiator fans can be quite expensive so here is a link to the aux fan and controller that I am using.
Amazon Amazon
Old 10-31-2018, 10:38 AM
Brainz
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

Good stuff J! Good results. If I'm hammering the Pig in the Houston summer heat, the fake gauge will go a little right of the 180 mark -- call it 185. I seem to recall looking it up on the scanner and that was a true water temp ~200, which still seemed ok. I'd not considered that it's measuring the coolest part of the system.
Old 11-17-2018, 09:51 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

not enough words to describe my appreciation for what you have shared.

I thought I was going to be a little nutty with my plans with the new rig. You are on a whole different level with this platform. Kind of funny when I read what you have posted, it reminds me of reading my old threads on here when building my 944t. If you feel adventurous take a read on the 944turbo forum for "hybrid stroker". I too have sleeved the porsche engine using ductile iron flanged sleeves, as well as a cnc deck plate to keep the deck surface stable. I could go on and on about my exploits into that platform but... it's not really relevant here. I am glad you found a tuner that will go out on a limb. I will be searching for someone to help me once I get going further with mine. I generally don't rely on anyone for anything, but I think the tuning for this will be beyond what I want to get into. I do wish you luck with absolute success. I will be watching. I too live in TX (very south TX). I love to drag race everything and I hope you set a bar to try to reach down the road. I took mine for some baseline runs last week and went 12.62 at 111 with a couple of shifting hiccups. That was with a 1.97 60'. My last pass I did get a 1.85 60' out of it but had to abort the run after teh guy in the other lanes hood flew off right in front of me at 1000'. Anyway this was a nice read and I truly look forward to your progress.
Old 11-18-2018, 12:06 AM
v10rick
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 81 Posts

Dang when you switched avatars I lost track of your progress.

Every post for the past 1+ years has been reviewed. I recall your statement, when "go fund me" was started. You planned to document the details here.

You are a man of your word...thanks for that.

BTW the effort is not lost to me. I S/C a Dodge Viper, later added W/M. Initially dyno tuned then street tuned. Got very familiar with tweaking timing and fuel while driving and logging.

While doing so encountered a few crotch rockets who wanted to play. When I think back that was the dumbest thing ever...on the street.

Anxiously waiting for more and please be safe during the process.
Old 11-18-2018, 10:11 AM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by blown 944
not enough words to describe my appreciation for what you have shared.

I thought I was going to be a little nutty with my plans with the new rig. You are on a whole different level with this platform. Kind of funny when I read what you have posted, it reminds me of reading my old threads on here when building my 944t. If you feel adventurous take a read on the 944turbo forum for "hybrid stroker". I too have sleeved the porsche engine using ductile iron flanged sleeves, as well as a cnc deck plate to keep the deck surface stable. I could go on and on about my exploits into that platform but... it's not really relevant here. I am glad you found a tuner that will go out on a limb. I will be searching for someone to help me once I get going further with mine. I generally don't rely on anyone for anything, but I think the tuning for this will be beyond what I want to get into. I do wish you luck with absolute success. I will be watching. I too live in TX (very south TX). I love to drag race everything and I hope you set a bar to try to reach down the road. I took mine for some baseline runs last week and went 12.62 at 111 with a couple of shifting hiccups. That was with a 1.97 60'. My last pass I did get a 1.85 60' out of it but had to abort the run after teh guy in the other lanes hood flew off right in front of me at 1000'. Anyway this was a nice read and I truly look forward to your progress.
Thanks for stopping by! Nice to have some commentary from those that are into this type of thing. I will read your thread for sure. I haven't been to the track in a while but this thing is a BEAST off the line!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2004 Cayenne 955 Turbo Upgrade Build Thread, Custom Manifolds, BW EFR 7163's