Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 Cayenne 955 Turbo Upgrade Build Thread, Custom Manifolds, BW EFR 7163's

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2018, 11:57 AM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Don't know if they'd be interested in working with you on a custom tune but Eurocharged has experience with both the Cayenne and the Audi RS6 which is twin-turbo V8 4.2ltr with Bosch 7.1.1. I think their Houston location is the main shop.
Old 07-02-2018, 09:22 PM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Received 183 Likes on 135 Posts

I would be interested to see What Eurocharged had to say. Hopefully the lead I have will pan out.
Old 07-28-2018, 01:23 PM
cordsig79
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Whats the haps ya'll!
Old 07-28-2018, 01:45 PM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Trying to figure out the multi quote function.
Old 07-28-2018, 01:50 PM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by J'sWorld
Pretty sure that I have a tuner locked down and the best part is they are located in Houston and can dyno tune to get close in a safer and quicker manner without all the logging and revisions back and forth. I am really hoping to make some serious progress in the next few weeks. Either gonna break some parts or some hearts!

Originally Posted by hahnmgh63
Don't know if they'd be interested in working with you on a custom tune but Eurocharged has experience with both the Cayenne and the Audi RS6 which is twin-turbo V8 4.2ltr with Bosch 7.1.1. I think their Houston location is the main shop.
I would be interested to see What Eurocharged had to say. Hopefully the lead I have will pan out.
Eurocharged WAS the lead. Jerry, Jerry, Jerry. I wont publicly shame, but I'd be happy to in private.
Old 07-28-2018, 01:52 PM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by cordsig79
Whats the haps ya'll!
Hey Brother, how are you?
Old 07-28-2018, 03:01 PM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

I do have a tuner. I have a ton of confidence in this person and it is someone who 99% of you have never heard of. They are a long time enthusiast and tuner in the Audi community. Exactly what I always wanted and needed. My ECU is out as I type this for initial programming and custom code. They share the same vision as I, in how this should be done properly. One thing I have been adamant about is retaining the use of MAF's. It's harder to do it this way and requires more work but the benefit is real world driveability not just max effort power. The ME7.1.1 ECU in the 955 is load based and the use of MAF's is critical as Bosch designed it.

The ME7.1.1 ECU has a 2550mb pressure limit hard coded into the ECU as designed by Bosch. What this means is that around 21psi of boost the ECU runs out of table/map. There are a couple of workarounds to this but only one that I find proper and acceptable for my build. What many tuners want to do is go Speed Density or Alpha-N to make it work. Now IMO, SD and A-N have their place, mainly in more of a competition enviroment where fuel mileage, driveability, tip in, etc. aren't as important. SD and A-N are more succeptable to enviromental factors such as altitude, barometric pressure, and temp. Essentially what many tuners do to offer a safe tune is set the ECU up to run exceedingly rich in these upper critical operating areas. This way, one tune can cover all scenarios. This is a concern for me as I want to run e85. Constantly washing down the cylinder walls and diluting the oil on a fuel that is known to have these disadvantages doesn't appeal to me or the longevity and performance of my engine. Adding in clearances that are more in line with race specs on a street engine only compounds the problem.

The correct way to attack this IMO, is something that the Audi guys figured out long ago. It's called a 5120 hack. The best way I can describe this is that additional tables/maps are created within what Bosch gave us. This allows the ECU to run higher boost levels as the designer(Bosch) intended and keep the core functionality and benefits of the ECU. It takes a special person to do this. There are lots of great tuners out there but very few who have both skill sets of actual tuning coupled with the computer science. Another good thing about the 7.1.1 is that it is Wide Band from the factory.

The Bosch me7.1.1 ECU is quite complex and powerful. Whiloe many aftermarket standalone systems may have hundreds of maps, the me7 has THOUSANDS. Here is a screen shot from a Cayenne Damos file that I have been translating. Oh yeah, everything is written in German.

As you can see this one has over 5000 maps. WinOls is the go to editor for many and everything is hex.

One thing that I am very curious about Cayenne tuners in the past such as the big boys like EVOMS/Techart/Gemballa/Maff/9ff, is how much boost they were running and how did they accomplish that. The highest claimed figures I have seen is somewhere around 800hp. I have seen mention of Custom camshafts and of course you cant buy them OTS, nor can you get details. I wonder, did they run larger camshafts to make more power at lower boost levels? Or did they run larger cams in addition to higher boost levels and how was the ECU tuned? Will cams be a limiting factor for me? I will have the ability to run as much boost as these turbos can make without over-speeding. My calcs put this somewhere around 29 psi@ 7k rpm and up to 40 in the midrange before I am off the compressor maps. I also wonder why not one single "TUNER" has commented on this thread? Don't you find that odd? They commented on Kent's build. They seem to comment on everything else. Hmm.
Irregardless, I am always open for discussion. I realize that may not be quite the audience here. I'd love to see more of the 966/997 etc. guys coming over and talking tech. It takes a certain kind of maniac that loves to self harm to even want to tackle something like this lol. I'm a glutton for punishment but believe in risk vs reward. I don't quit.....ever.
I let my guy that is tackling the tuning know that I would like to make TX mile in October and he thinks that is quite doable. Until I have something tangible to report I don't plan on providing to many updates.
The following users liked this post:
ElSpoon958 (03-06-2022)
Old 07-28-2018, 03:07 PM
Brainz
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

Jesus - - 5000 maps! I used to joke the Cayenne was more complicated than the Space Shuttle - - maybe it was more true than I realized. Keep up the good work, my man.
Old 07-28-2018, 03:29 PM
cordsig79
Burning Brakes

Break through are made in leaps and bounds after periods of stagnation. I am happy to jump in whenever you might need some support or advocacy on figuring out something.

I do wonder, is our suspension and handling the best......maybe break out in that direction and spend some $$$$ or is the factory stuff pretty good and just some tweaks before I go off exploring?
Old 07-28-2018, 03:52 PM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Break through are made in leaps and bounds after periods of stagnation. I am happy to jump in whenever you might need some support or advocacy on figuring out something.

I do wonder, is our suspension and handling the best......maybe break out in that direction and spend some $$$$ or is the factory stuff pretty good and just some tweaks before I go off exploring?
Nah, we r good! I might need some help to collect that race money when bitches don't want to pay up!
It is the best, for an suv, and better than many cars. I have noticed that being AWD and rear biased, if you do not commit to a corner and initiate turn in/ oversteer agrressivly it will understeer every time. I have thought about just ditching the air supsension @ some point and going with coilovers but I haven't had a chance to play with the PIWIS and see if it will let me code a Turbo for non-air suspension. I find the upper control arm bushings to be quite undersized for this vehicle and I think they contribute a lot to inside tire wear on the front. I have never been able to get away from that with a 295-35-21. Powerflex actually makes upper and lower bushings and torque arm bushing for the Cayenne and I think I will try those. With this project I have to adress things in levels. Pending success on tuning and trans behavior of course the next areas of concern will be supsension, axles, a locker for the rear...etc.
Old 07-28-2018, 04:33 PM
user 83838290
Banned

Received 471 Likes on 272 Posts

So it's moving along nicely :-) gemballa had an 850hp version, there is a guy not far from me who ownes or used to own one. Apart from being rich enough to point at maybachs and gemballas, I doubt he knows anything about it but I can try and check.

I vaguely remember my tuner guy mentioning some hack to go higher on boost. I'll get in touch with him when I get back to SVK. Should I ask anything specific?

He's one of the main guys on developing this btw:
Old 07-28-2018, 04:52 PM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by lupo.sk
So it's moving along nicely :-) gemballa had an 850hp version, there is a guy not far from me who ownes or used to own one. Apart from being rich enough to point at maybachs and gemballas, I doubt he knows anything about it but I can try and check.

I vaguely remember my tuner guy mentioning some hack to go higher on boost. I'll get in touch with him when I get back to SVK. Should I ask anything specific?

He's one of the main guys on developing this btw: https://youtu.be/vVnM8z1nX4k
Isn't the Gemballa Cayenne like 550k USD?
Just ask specificly how HE accomplishes this. Alpha -n, SD, or 5120.
Audi 5 cylinder.....One of my favorites. I have thinking about the RS-3 but man, is it hard to justify spending that much on that tiny car. Looks like they are having some problems too and that's pretty concurrent with the amount of extremely low mileage examples for sale. I always have to tell myself to stay focused on the Cayenne until its done. I don't get to drive it much and I after I got it broke in and sorted out I decided I wasn't going to waste my engine on a stock flash. It really does everything I need it to.
Old 07-28-2018, 05:38 PM
cordsig79
Burning Brakes

Some dude is selling some aftermarket stuff on craigslist, looks lie the 82mm throttle body, dont think it fits our years.... I do need a metal plenum....
Old 07-28-2018, 06:20 PM
user 83838290
Banned

Received 471 Likes on 272 Posts

Isn't the Gemballa Cayenne like 550k USD?
Just ask specificly how HE accomplishes this. Alpha -n, SD, or 5120.
Audi 5 cylinder.....One of my favorites. I have thinking about the RS-3 but man, is it hard to justify spending that much on that tiny car. Looks like they are having some problems too and that's pretty concurrent with the amount of extremely low mileage examples for sale. I always have to tell myself to stay focused on the Cayenne until its done. I don't get to drive it much and I after I got it broke in and sorted out I decided I wasn't going to waste my engine on a stock flash. It really does everything I need it to.
The RS3 are nice but it's a FWD with sometimes4WD. I don't like the way they drive at all. Too front heavy. I don't have a clue if they have any issues.

I told this myself for a long time, there was always the urge to finish my CTTS while it was my DD. But now I don't have the 100% desire to finish what I started. I need to do sleeves and pretty much do what you did so I know it's going to take at least a couple of months and I have better things to do right now. And I'm kinda more looking forward to get the unimog I auctioned and play with that for a while.

The gemballa is like 500k eur in yerp. But it's a guy who has multiple maybachs, a 1930 duesenberg among other vintage cars, a couple of private helicopters and such. I think he even bought a gt750 for his son. He's got plenty of FU money ;-)
Old 07-29-2018, 11:57 AM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Some dude is selling some aftermarket stuff on craigslist, looks lie the 82mm throttle body, dont think it fits our years.... I do need a metal plenum....
I know him. It's all 4.8 stuff. A friend of mine already purchased everything worth having.

Quick Reply: 2004 Cayenne 955 Turbo Upgrade Build Thread, Custom Manifolds, BW EFR 7163's