Sponsored by:

Valve cover gaskets, PIA!

Old 07-31-2017, 04:09 PM
Travis
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Valve cover gaskets, PIA!

In the continuing preventative maintenance saga, the P!G's leaking valve covers needed attention.

Not sure how long it's been, but the gaskets themselves were not too bad. Squished yes, but not brittle. The spark plug gaskets were worse, definitely tired.

Taking a peek at the cams and top end of the motor, everything looked good. Cams look to have a bit of wear, but at 185K miles, not too bad. Steady 7.5K mile 0w-40 oil changes for the last 4 years and unknown prior to that. Previous owner said 5K oil changes, but no way to prove it.

The work itself was tedious. Lot of stuff in the way and just cumbersome. Anyways, it's not leaking and smoking no more...

Old 07-31-2017, 04:30 PM
AGARubberDuck
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

Kudos. Not a good look when your Porsche is leaving oil behind. I did the job on my 04 CTT, but those were extremely hard and brittle. Not overly difficult work, but very tedious as you mentioned.

How did you like trying to apply the correct torque on the bolt furthest back on the passenger side?
Old 07-31-2017, 09:52 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Nice to see a clean camshaft gallery. I'd keep doing the oil changes at your current interval, no crud buildup that I can see..
Old 07-31-2017, 10:08 PM
Travis
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Just finished the driver side.

Psyching up for the passenger side. I am not looking forward to it. Glad it's not leaking...yet.

Was very happy to see how clean the top looked too.

Next weekend will be front rubber brake line replacement. Lots of cracks I noticed when I was wrestling with the alternator. Fun!
Old 07-31-2017, 10:36 PM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Received 183 Likes on 135 Posts

Just a small word of advice on those gaskets is to use a torque wrench and do not overtorque the valve covers or they will leak sooner than they are supposed to.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Valve cover gaskets, PIA!